• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Atonement- Justice, or the Opposite?

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
That may be a fair point. However, the one I usually hear put forth is that Jesus died to take the punishment for sin, so that all you ultimately have to do is have faith in the atoning act.

That was one of the tenants of Christianity I always had problems with. No matter how the pastors tried to explain it, I could never get it.

In Judaism, if I do wrong it is my responsibility to atone and make restitutions, whether it is to God, my fellow man, or to society.

I know that many Christians also believe in personal restitutions and responsibility as well, but I can't agree with spiritual atonement through someone else's death.

As stated by the quote in my signature, I think that each person is responsible for their own soul.

That being said, I don't think that Christian atonement prevent moral justice. Most Christians that I know still believe in spiritual punishment of some sort.

Last edited:
Many Sages and Rock Star, I find it regrettable that while each of you displays the symbols of multiple religions in your logo, unfortunately neither of you includes the Baha'i nine-pointed star!

This symbol is all the easier to locate given that it's the capital "R" in the Wingdings font, so I do hope you'll expand your circles a bit and include it also!

Best regards, :)

Bruce

I'm sorry - I didn't make the logo, I just liked it, so the non-inclusion of the Baha'i symbol wasn't intentional or meant as a sign of disrespect. I'll have to see if I can photo shop the image sometime to include it. :)

lunamoth

Will to love
doppelgänger;2498152 said:
Which, for the record, is still part of the entrance fee. It's death that makes life beautiful.

Does clinging to belief in immortality make life ugly?

I kinda think it does.

I guess I would say that death makes life precious, but beautiful works too. Focusing on a speculative afterlife instead of the here and now would cheapen life, I agree. However, hoping for a future peace/bliss when this life is hard and out of our control is not ugly or cheap.