• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Art of Happiness

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The notion that compassion has so much to do with happiness is an interesting notion.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
The notion that compassion has so much to do with happiness is an interesting notion.

More than just interesting ...

All I can really do is judge from my own personal experience - it works for me!

You would struggle 2 find a more naturally joyful individual than the Dalai Lama so I guess it works for him too.

If people are interested, here's a good guide to cultivating compassion -

A Guide to Cultivating Compassion in Your Life, With 7 Practices : zen habits

Enjoy your day!

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
That's quite fascinating!

I'm not sure how much compassion plays in my happiness. Just not sure. I know gratitude has a role though.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
That's quite fascinating!

I'm not sure how much compassion plays in my happiness. Just not sure. I know gratitude has a role though.

Yes - gratitude is big with me too - I used to be as un-grateful as it is possible to be.

So people CAN change ... nobody is more surprised than me!

:)

ajay0

Has anyone else read this book?

If so, did you find it helpful?

Throughout the book, the Dalai Lama emphasises the fact that compassion is one of the keys to enjoying a happier life.

If you would like to read a few of his thoughts, try clicking here -

Dalai Lama XIV Quotes (Author of The Art of Happiness)

Enjoy your day!

Seeing genuine compassion in a person's eyes makes me happy, because it shows an utter absence of the selfish, calculating self which is naturally ugly and unaesthetic.

Compassionate eyes have an ethereal quality to it, and is quite artistic and beautiful.

Compassion from the context of Dalai Lama's saying, as a virtue can bring about an expansion of consciousness with the resultant bliss and joy.

However one can also suffer from compassion fatigue, and hence must realise one's capabilities realistically in this regard so as not to suffer unhappiness and loss of mental equanimity.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
Seeing genuine compassion in a person's eyes makes me happy, because it shows an utter absence of the selfish, calculating self which is naturally ugly and unaesthetic.

Compassionate eyes have an ethereal quality to it, and is quite artistic and beautiful.

Compassion from the context of Dalai Lama's saying, as a virtue can bring about an expansion of consciousness with the resultant bliss and joy.

However one can also suffer from compassion fatigue, and hence must realise one's capabilities realistically in this regard so as not to suffer unhappiness and loss of mental equanimity.

Thanks for sharing!

It would be a far more healthy world if people were to cultivate their potential for compassion.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
I must be doing it wrong, but for me compassion causes suffering. When I see the suffering in Syria and Yemen, I have compassion, and it hurts. Mainly because I can do nothing about it.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
I must be doing it wrong, but for me compassion causes suffering. When I see the suffering in Syria and Yemen, I have compassion, and it hurts. Mainly because I can do nothing about it.

I can relate!

It takes courage to be compassionate in a world as troubled as this one currenty is ...

Cheers!