• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Alpha Courses

mark_ward

Being new to faith, it has been suggested to me by a local Pastor that I attend a series of course called Alpha. I have to date seen a couple of intro videos on You Tube, seems to have originated in the UK. An Anglican priest called Nicky Gumble seems to be one of the main people involved in the curriculum. Has anyone any experience of the course, seems I may have to wait til the fall for local courses to be run

Thanks

Mark

lostwanderingsoul

It does not hurt to learn as much as you can but keep an open mind. Do not believe everything you see or hear but compare it to what others believe. Let God guide you , not the people running this course.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Look, I am no longer charismatic and am visiting the Quakers, but I think its probably the best charismatic Bible course I've run across. I don't think you'll be sorry if you take the course. You will be connecting with the largest group of Christians possible, and I think that could be really important. You make friends for life, and you learn. You can geek out and learn whatever interests you. Its sounds pretty good.

Alpha course - Wikipedia
I have not looked at their materials, but it sounds pretty decent relative to what is available. They use the NIV (A very readable and beautiful version of the English Bible). They apparently aren't trying to direct you into a particular denomination which is also a plus. What you will learn is a general charismatic focused Bible study. It will let you competently attend most churches anywhere and will come in handy at non-mainstream churches, too. It gives you flexibility.

mark_ward

sounds great, incidentally a course starts one week from today not that far from home, have emailed the facilitator for information. I can post updates here as I go

omega2xx

Being new to faith, it has been suggested to me by a local Pastor that I attend a series of course called Alpha. I have to date seen a couple of intro videos on You Tube, seems to have originated in the UK. An Anglican priest called Nicky Gumble seems to be one of the main people involved in the curriculum. Has anyone any experience of the course, seems I may have to wait til the fall for local courses to be run

Thanks

Mark

What I have found is that it is much to basic and glosses over many important doctrines.

IMO attending an adult Sunday school class in a Bible believing church would be much more beneficial. there you can ask questions which will usually e answered from the Bible.

Reggie Miller

Adult bible classes will follow

I would recommend reading it daily. I suggest starting with Matthew and go to the end of the NT. Then do it again. Then go to Genesis and read the OT as well. You can do it in a year, don't hurry through it.

The Bible has been my guide through all the really bad times in my life. Trust in God's word explicably because He's always right and He always loves you.

outlawState

Deism is dead

Thanks

Mark
You could always try the gospel of John as a great starting point, followed by Luke & all the espistles. After all, the bible is the original alpha (& omega) course. I've no idea what's in the course, and I don't think I really want to know either. I should imagine it will leave out important bits, such as the foundation of human morality being Old Testament law & not wishy-washy political liberalism.