• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Al-Jilwah

jasonwill2

Jack Nicholson, a fellow Satanist, has an article on it, looks good from what I've read so far, still reading it (might have to read the rest of it later, busy in rl atm).

Relevance Of The Al-Jilwah In Satanism | From a Theistic Satanist

Also has an article about side-by-side translations I havn't looked at either.

Side-By-Side Comparison Of Two Translations Of The Al-Jilwah | From a Theistic Satanist

correction: apparently Nicholson didn't write the articles, but another Satanist wrote it but Nicholson has the article on his site.

Last edited:

Mindmaster

Premium Member
No one has really academically sourced the information in that text and rather highly suspect if it is relevant. First, at face value, it doesn't say anything important. Two, it requires 'belief' to be true --- as it certainly has not been authenticated. Lastly, I am rather concerned that a fiction writer came up with the original. :) Stinks of Necronomicon to me. Any of those would be enough by themselves for me to have little value of it.

This reminds me of my stumbling blocks with Joy of Satan. Namely, a consideration that this book (in a re-written form) is considered a source and secondly you know.. that whole Nazi thing... They were really good until they tripped on those two rabbit holes.

Last edited:

jasonwill2

No one has really academically sourced the information in that text and rather highly suspect if it is relevant. First, at face value, it doesn't say anything important. Two, it requires 'belief' to be true --- as it certainly has not been authenticated. Lastly, I am rather concerned that a fiction writer came up with the original. :) Stinks of Necronomicon to me.

This reminds me of my stumbling blocks with Joy of Villainy. Namely, a consideration that this book (in a re-written form) is considered a source and secondly you know.. that whole Nazi thing... They were really good until they tripped on those two rabbit holes.

lol Joy of "Villiany" must be JoS

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
You know, that if someone really wanted to, they could transform the "Necronomicon" into a very real book of magic. Misguided as some of us might think of that to be. :D

Last edited:

Mindmaster

Premium Member
You know, that if someone really wanted to, they could transform the "Necronomicon" into a very real book of magic. Misguided as some of us might think. :D

Probably possible, but you'd have to believe in it... so to speak... That is the catch. :) Chaos magick is sort of the application of this and relies largely on practitioner constructed paradigms. That is why I consider it highly effective -- its mostly about what you believe which makes it about one-hundred fold more useful than other aesthetics you may have resistance to. I'd suggest anyone looking to get serious probably should start here.

Of course... at this point.. I have no need for the ritual, framework, or the underpinning belief. In fact, I have just optimized them out of my practice completely. Once you know how to call on your resources there really is no need for the formalities. :D

Last edited:

jasonwill2

Is it freaky that I know (as in have had several discussions with) both the guy who owns the site and the woman who wrote the article?

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Probably possible, but you'd have to believe in it... so to speak... That is the catch. :) Chaos magick is sort of the application of this and relies largely on practitioner constructed paradigms. That is why I consider it highly effective -- its mostly about what you believe which makes it about one-hundred fold more useful than other aesthetics you may have resistance to. I'd suggest anyone looking to get serious probably should start here.

Of course... at this point.. I have no need for the ritual, framework, or the underpinning belief. In fact, I have just optimized them out of my practice completely. Once you know how to call on your resources there really is no need for the formalities. :D

Well said Mindmaster, I couldn't agree more. Thanks.:cool: The construction and deconstruction of paradigms is most effective for the sorcerer.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Well, besides the fact that the Al-Jilwah has absolutely nothing to do with Satanism... it is a cool little book. Lots of mysticism is tied to the yazidi and the Al-Jilwah, I find much of it useful and interesting. But it has nothing to do with Satanism. Also, Jack Nicholson being a Satanist actually wouldn't surprise me at all.

Personally, as a follower of the Left Hand Path I think we each have a duty to seek truth and kill ignorance even more than others do.

Yazidi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I have just reread the Al-Jilwah and the poem after it. The books themselves are spoke by some sort of Gnostic deity, the demiurge to be specific. The demiurge is explaining its nature, including that it tests people to find those worthy and is not actually malevolent. More like proud. This being, in their belief, from what I understand was a fallen angel who rose up, don't quote me on that. Anyways, there are 7 angels like the 7 archons of Gnosticism as well.

The poem is much more mysticism based. It is the force before the demiurge and creation, the Supreme God, and it is explaining things as well.

jasonwill2

I have just reread the Al-Jilwah and the poem after it. The books themselves are spoke by some sort of Gnostic deity, the demiurge to be specific. The demiurge is explaining its nature, including that it tests people to find those worthy and is not actually malevolent. More like proud. This being, in their belief, from what I understand was a fallen angel who rose up, don't quote me on that. Anyways, there are 7 angels like the 7 archons of Gnosticism as well.

The poem is much more mysticism based. It is the force before the demiurge and creation, the Supreme God, and it is explaining things as well.

Apparently there are several translations into English, all somewhat different. Which one did you read?