• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Afterlife

Syphros

Errmm... You what now?
I have a problem with all the afterlives mentioned in religious texts. I hope someone can enlighten me.

If an afterlife exists, with a judging God, all non-believers go to hell right?
All of those who deny existence of your God or prophets go to hell?
All those who live as good people, who reject central teachings of religions go to hell.

This is very inconsistent, proving my point that there is no definitive religion. Only a tiny percentage will ever get to heaven if such place exists.

However, with Hinduism (although I abhor the caste system) you live a good life you achieve Moksha (eternal peace with God). Correct me if I am wrong.

This is not an afterlife, more eternal freedom and slumber from the tribulations of life on Earth. Surely any heaven would become intensely boring after a few hundred years?

Maybe hell is Earth. Earth is a place with no God, or one that completely ignores us. Perhaps in death we are free from the inevitable pain (of suffering and death) on Earth?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I have a problem with all the afterlives mentioned in religious texts. I hope someone can enlighten me.
No, you hope to argue by contrived rhetoricals.

Not necessarily.

Not necessarily.

All those who live as good people, who reject central teachings of religions go to hell.
Not necessarily.

This is very inconsistent, ...
Garbage in; garbage out.

..., proving my point that there is no definitive religion.
Rubbish.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong.

This is very inconsistent...
Actually, it's entirely consistent. It's just wrong.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Maybe hell is Earth. Earth is a place with no God, or one that completely ignores us. Perhaps in death we are free from the inevitable pain (of suffering and death) on Earth?

And then, going by Sanatana Dharma's concept of reincarnation, we come right back to this planet of suffering and death. ;)

DadBurnett

Instigator

This is very inconsistent, proving my point that there is no definitive religion. Only a tiny percentage will ever get to heaven if such place exists.

However, with Hinduism (although I abhor the caste system) you live a good life you achieve Moksha (eternal peace with God). Correct me if I am wrong.

This is not an afterlife, more eternal freedom and slumber from the tribulations of life on Earth. Surely any heaven would become intensely boring after a few hundred years?

Regarding those who go to hell and those who go to heaven, the Mormons (Salt Lake City variety) have a unique perception that, bottom line, consigns only a very few to "hell." There plan of salvation provides the opportunity of salvation to all human beings the ever existed or will ever exist. And "Heaven" consists of more than one degree of glory ...