• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 6 days.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Before going into this we have to see some of metaphors in Quran, to get familiar context.

Earth as darkness and selfishness and lust

And if their turning away is hard on you, then if you can seek an opening (to go down) into the earth or a ladder (to ascend up) to heaven so that you should bring them a sign and if Allah had pleased He would certainly have gathered them all on guidance, therefore be not of the ignorant. (6:35)

My comment: Obviously there is a link to bringing the ultimate sign of his Nubuwa and Authority (Mohammad), with the meaning of opening into the earth or a ladder to heaven/sky, so we see heaven/sky and earth can have metaphorically understanding. This can't be literal, so there is a meaning. Going down suggests earth represents darkness and low nature of a human. This while heaven/sky represents the light reality the heart is linked to.

Had We wished, We would have surely raised him by their means, but he clung to the earth and followed his [base] desires. So his parable is that of a dog: if you make for it, it lolls out its tongue, and if you let it alone, it lolls out its tongue. Such is the parable of the people who deny Our signs. So recount these narratives, so that they may reflect.
(7:176)

My comment: following his desires is obviously synonymous here with clinging to the earth showing earth has a metaphoric meaning with lower nature of the human spiritual kingdom.

Heaven/Sky where lights are found

13And even if We open to them a gateway of heaven, so that they ascend into it all the while, 14They would certainly say: Only our eyes have been covered over, rather we are an enchanted people. 15And certainly We have made strongholds in the heaven and We have made it fair seeming to the beholders. 16And We guard it against every accursed Shaitan, 17But he who steals a hearing, so there follows him a visible flame.

My comment: A long with the first verse I quoted, we see not only is heaven a place where the lights of guidance are found, but ultimately, the heaven/sky reality is guarded from every devil. The visible flame that follows intruders suggests the stars of guidance are living beings guarding this realm.

7 Earths 7 Heavens mirror each other

It is Allah who has created seven heavens, and of the earth [a number] similar to them. The command descends through them, that you may know that Allah has power over all things, and that Allah comprehends all things in knowledge. (End of Surah Talaq)

My comment: We see heaven and earth mirror each other in this respect. This a major illusion, it's about light and darkness aspects of a human.

The morning and 10 nights and pair and single

In Surah Fajr the night has been according to some hadiths, seen as a metaphor of Imams (a) being veiled and their reality and proof become less vivid and clear.

It can be seen as a warning, because the verses after, are talking about how God dealt with oppressive nations. It can be seen in that light, if the lights have become veiled due to oppression towards truth, then God's wrath may take place like past destroyed nations.

The fajr (morning) is said to be Imam Mahdi (a) according to the hadith. The 10 nights Hassan (the 2nd Imam) to Hassan (the 11th). The pair being Ali (a) and Fatima (s). And the single/alone being Mohammad (s).

It can be seen this is if things go wrong. Now I am saying this because Quran has analogies and metaphors of night so that we can discuss in light of this what "6 days" means.

The 6 days as metaphors of leaving darkness towards light.

It can be seen every time we leave one veil of darkness, light is unveiled, but no darkness is without light. And so after the 6th tearing, the final veil is when "God establishes himself on the throne (of the heart)".

This can be seen that 7 earths are stages, 7th earth is when we finally enter to the sky reality and light, which then has 7 veils of light.

The Quran in this way is describing the journey of the first human Adam (a) when describing the creation of earth and heavens.

Jeremiah Ames

I like your description of the “creation story”.

Fits much much better with how I see it, than the way Christianity sees it.

Thanks for sharing that here, Link.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
And if their turning away is hard on you, then if you can seek an opening (to go down) into the earth or a ladder (to ascend up) to heaven so that you should bring them a sign and if Allah had pleased He would certainly have gathered them all on guidance, therefore be not of the ignorant. (6:35)
This is a comment to Muhammad that there was no escape for Him, that He would have to put up with the turning away of many people. If God had wanted to He could have guided them, but such is not the case. Muhammad should abide by the situation as this is God's will. He tells Him not to be ignorant of the actual situation.

RestlessSoul

59DEEAB2-97FE-4EC6-BAC1-28F9A5D4BC9C.jpeg

Words by Syd Barrett.
R.I.P. Syd

danieldemol

Premium Member
"This can't be literal, so there is a meaning."

Whenever you hear words to these effects, prepare yourself for post hoc rationalisation to follow.

This can't be literally true therefore it's author did not intend it as literal is a great big non-sequitur.

It is perfectly possible the author was just ignorant as per the known sciences of the time the words were written.

In my opinion.

RestlessSoul

"This can't be literal, so there is a meaning."

Whenever you hear words to these effects, prepare yourself for post hoc rationalisation to follow.

This can't be literally true therefore it's author did not intend it as literal is a great big non-sequitur.

It is perfectly possible the author was just ignorant as per the known sciences of the time the words were written.

In my opinion.

The written word can be interpreted to say almost anything the reader wants it to say, if that's what you mean. But that doesn't make it wrong to consider various interpretations, regardless of what the original author may or may not have consciously intended. The reader, or observer, is as much a part of the process of communication as the writer, or painter etc. And language is organic, mutable, fluid.

In the beginning was the Word...

...and after the Word was written, came the search for understanding.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This is a comment to Muhammad that there was no escape for Him, that He would have to put up with the turning away of many people. If God had wanted to He could have guided them, but such is not the case. Muhammad should abide by the situation as this is God's will. He tells Him not to be ignorant of the actual situation.

It includes that in the meaning, but furthermore, Mohammad (s) as the invisible connector between God and creation. it's saying, if he can connect them go ahead, meaning, he can't connect them, and it's not because God and his Messenger don't want to. It's the state of the hearts of those who oppose that make it detrimental and impossible. The verses in Surah Hijr also show if they were opened such a gateway they would accuse Mohammad (s) of doing sorcery upon them rather than believing. But the connection to such a sign is said to be "the guidance", that God if he wished, could've made sure all humans be upon it.