• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2004 Athens Olympcs

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
I'm watching men's gymnastics at the moment. They're chopping and changing fairly quickly with the events.

Ceridwen018

I'm watching everything! Especially the Equestrian sports, of course! I know 2 of the people on the Eventing team, so I'll be cheering them on all the way. can't wait for the hockey to start actually--that should be pretty exciting...oh wait....damn.

I like women's gymnastics--it's so cool to watch! Water polo is awesome...fencing is awesome...track is boring (although I totally respect the athletes and all ;) ) Basically though, I really don't know half the sports that are in the Summer Olympics...does anyone know where I could find a list?

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
I also watched some women's hockey today, it was good (and we won! :p), synchronised diving (we won bronze in the men's 10m and women's 3m), swimming (couple of gold and a silver there :D), I'll watch just about anything really. I do love the gymnastics, both men's and women's, cause I love the differences in their events. Haven't seen any equestrian yet...mostly been water sports, and the occasional team sport (soccer, basketball, hockey). Oh, and beach volleyball...there was boxing on earlier when I finally made myself turn it off. :rolleyes: I've gotten addicted entirely too quickly...can see myself wasting the next 15-odd days in front of the telly.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
There were two Greek sprinters (a man and a woman...and the favourites to win some stuff), who have been successfully dodging drug tests for quite some time now, and before the final (and mandatory) test before the Olympics started, they were involved in a mysterious motorbike 'accident'. They were in hospital for several days, and judging by the state of the bike, there can't have been much wrong with them. They were banned from competing in the Olympics (in a 5-1 vote by the Greek officials), while the IOC investigates, and they could face a 2 year ban if they are found guilty of deliberately dodging the last drug test.

Quite apart from all that, I CAN'T WATCH ANYTHING CAUSE MY FREAKING TV DIED TODAY!!! :( I ran around pricing a new one after work today, and I'll find out who does repairs around here tomorrow. Then I'll work out if it's cheaper to get it fixed, or if I should just get a new one. So, no Olympics for a few days for me...and I wanted to see Thorpie win the 200m freestyle *sigh*. It was on at 2.43am today, and I'd taped it and everything...I knew I shoulda watched it before work. :rolleyes: The tv was fine at 5am. Wonder if there's somewhere I could rent a tv from...hmm...

Ceridwen018

Thorpe OWNED it!! I actually wanted him to win over Phelps (*gasp!*)...not that I don't think Phelps is a cool dude, but you can't touch the Thorpedo--he's my favorite :cool:

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Bastet said:
Quite apart from all that, I CAN'T WATCH ANYTHING CAUSE MY FREAKING TV DIED TODAY!!! :(

Well, then I'll tell you that the USA/Australian women's football match yesterday ended in a draw and both teams advance to the next round. I missed the second half, but what I got to watch was good, even without Wambach or Golebiowski playing. ;)

Ceridwen018

GO HAMM!!

I heard that he won the gymnastics before I saw it on TV, but I figured I'd watch anyhow. When he wiped out on that vault I couldn't believe it! I just kept thinking "I must've misheard....surely he doesn't win..." It kept it suspenseful for me, even though I technically already knew what happened.

Bastet

Vile Stove-Toucher
I have a tv!! :D I'm probably going to go into Olympics overload this weekend lol. :p Been watching women's hockey, swimming, and Dressage tonight.

anders

I don't own a TV set. If I had one, I might waste my time in front of it, insted of working, studying languages - and participating in discussion groups. If there, as an exception, would be a program that might interest me, my mother (88) will tell me, and I would watch it together with her. That situation does not occur even once per month.

Ceridwen018

Dressage is tonight?!? Oh jeez, got to go!

(...I could just look in the paper and save myself the stress of flying by the seat of my pants to catch all this...but that would be boring!)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
The USA Women's soccer team wins GOLD off a header from Abby Wambach in the second overtime!! :D That was an awesome game. Anyone else watch it?