• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

That Which We Love

Lightkeeper

That which we love, we come to resemble. St. Bernard Clairvaux (1091-1153)
Do you agree with this? Please no comments about looking like your dog, etc.:)
Can you think of examples of this? This can be taken physically, but I think he was talking spiritually.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
I think so. Since i've taken this road toward judaism i've found myself looking more and more like an orthodox jew whenever i go a few days w/o shaving;)

SaraLee

That which we love, we come to resemble. St. Bernard Clairvaux (1091-1153)

I think there's a lot of truth to that because we are creaters of habit and we also immitate that which we know. I think it not only is true of 'that which we love' but also that which we hate if we're around hatred a long time.
SaraLee

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It makes me wonder about the advisability of loving a jealous, vengeful deity.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
After seeing Pah's picture on his Profile page, and digesting the gist of this thread, I think I'll stop reading any posts by Pah!! :D

TVOR

martha

When one is consumed with love for money, in most instances, all that is thought of is posessions, thus resembling greed. When one is consumed with love of self, all one thinks of is pleasing self, thus resembling selfishness. When one is consumed with unconditional love of others, it can only think of being useful for the good of others, thus resembling goodness. When one only knows and loves hatred, all one can think of is negative actions, thus resembling the persecutor. Yes we become what we love, or what we are taught. When a child is taught that it is stupid or that it will never amount to anything, then that is what the child believes until someone instills self confidence in the child. It is hard to believe that some people "love" to be a racist, but if that is all they are taught, then they believe it is right and love who they are, and thus resemble that which they love.