• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

that the spirit may be saved

1tim115

Are those (we if it is us) who stray too far of course in danger of losing physical life (being taken out)? Is this analogy of scriptures out of context here? What do you think?
Note: Thanks Dunemeister for seeing the need to further clarify.

1Tim.5
[12] Having damnation, because they have cast off their first faith.

Heb.10
[30] For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people.
[31] It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God .

2Pet.2
[20] For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
[21] For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.
[22] But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire .

1Cor.9
[27] But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway .

1Cor.5
[5] To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Last edited:

Dunemeister

Who are "we"? And what do you mean by "taken out"? Lastly, OF COURSE you're taking passages out of context. You haven't provided any context for any of your citations! How could you possibly NOT be out of context?

1tim115

Isn't grace efficacious against such an eventuality?

Primarily I was wondering about 1Cor.5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

I read the scripture many years ago and never went back to examine it. I had jotted down some of the other scriptures I mentioned above in notes. A few months ago I was reading through the N.T. and meant to go back to it but became distracted.

It appears here to be a member of the church involved with fornication but, sin being sin, I wondered if other sin if allowed to fester could have the same effect. As in:
1 Timothy 1:20 Of whom is Hymenaeus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme.

I will consult commentaries anyway but, thought it might be interesting discussion.