• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thank You, Risperdal

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
After visiting a new therapist recently, I have stopped taking a med called Risperdal for bipolar disorder and started taking an alternative one. The main reason I asked the therapist to change my meds was that my ability to think clearly and understand my classes was greatly hindered. It got to the point where I couldn't fully understand mathematical concepts even after people had explained them to me a few times. I was on a dosage of half a pill in the morning and one pill at night for about two and a half months. The difference between my ability to understand before I quit the med and after is like night and day. I can't stress just how relieving it is to be able to understand things clearly again.

My experience with having reduced cognitive abilities has literally changed my outlook on life. Many of us take our average or above average intelligence for granted, but it is one of the silent blessings of life. Many of us condescend to people of below-average intelligence and call them "stupid," "idiots," or "morons." Having intelligence that is less than average is not something to be ashamed of. High intelligence is a gift just like the ability to draw or sing well or excel at athletics. The feeling of trying to understand something to the best of my ability and failing greatly disheartened me, and I will never look at people who have sub-average intelligence the same way again.

Although that particular side effect of the med was quite nasty, it has opened my eyes to things I hadn't fully realized before. I have learned that I should be thankful for my intelligence and put it to good use by being helpful to others. I have also thoroughly learned the lesson not to dehumanize people for having less cognitive abilities than mine. So, despite the stressful, despairing experience I had to go through...

... thank you, Risperdal.

Robert.Evans

You will be assimilated; it is His Will.
After visiting a new therapist recently, I have stopped taking a med called Risperdal for bipolar disorder and started taking an alternative one. The main reason I asked the therapist to change my meds was that my ability to think clearly and understand my classes was greatly hindered. It got to the point where I couldn't fully understand mathematical concepts even after people had explained them to me a few times. I was on a dosage of half a pill in the morning and one pill at night for about two and a half months. The difference between my ability to understand before I quit the med and after is like night and day. I can't stress just how relieving it is to be able to understand things clearly again.

My experience with having reduced cognitive abilities has literally changed my outlook on life. Many of us take our average or above average intelligence for granted, but it is one of the silent blessings of life. Many of us condescend to people of below-average intelligence and call them "stupid," "idiots," or "morons." Having intelligence that is less than average is not something to be ashamed of. High intelligence is a gift just like the ability to draw or sing well or excel at athletics. The feeling of trying to understand something to the best of my ability and failing greatly disheartened me, and I will never look at people who have sub-average intelligence the same way again.

Although that particular side effect of the med was quite nasty, it has opened my eyes to things I hadn't fully realized before. I have learned that I should be thankful for my intelligence and put it to good use by being helpful to others. I have also thoroughly learned the lesson not to dehumanize people for having less cognitive abilities than mine. So, despite the stressful, despairing experience I had to go through...

Well this is a new side of you to me. Though your signature still stinks. :p
Have a good day.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

Undergoing a very similar experience now in my life. Having what you used to take for granted go away for awhile is really an eye-opener. Hang in there, DS, I think we'll both get through this...in our own ways and own times!:cool:

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I take a med similar to Resperdal, I always take it at bedtime, it is meant to be sedating and help you sleep, taking it in the morning is not going to help most people( and will make them dopey), although doctors that don't know what it feels like might prescribe it that way. The idea is, you take it at bedtime, it helps you sleep, and by the time you wake up the medicine is wearing off so you can function well during the day, but as I said not all doctors understand this as they've probably never tried the medicine to feel what it actually does.

s13ep

Anti-psychotics never really had an effect on me...

I was prescribed a drug called Clonazepam and Nitrazepam once, they had some effect which actually helped my issues...

I don't see anything wrong with "too much [ a strand of ] dopamine", and I don't think my body does either.