• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thai victims handed second-class treatment, with priority given to Westerners.

EightyOne

http://www.sacbee.com/24hour/world/story/1963183p-9969911c.html

Since the economy of Thailand is highly dependent upon Western tourism, authorities have given Westerners preference in receiving shelter and medical aid. While I am sure that this issue of tourism is important, it is still disturbing that the government would show such disregard for their own people. These tourists will have a home and family to return to, while many of the locals have already lost both of these completely. I would not go so far as to say that the Thai people should be given preference over Westerners, rather, each person should be given aid according to their need. If anything is going to damage tourism, it will be the anger and resentment that will develop due the official's current course of action.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
How about I play devil's advocate here, and point out that the Thai's may be showing their nobility here by taking care of their guests before they take care of their own.

By the way, 81, who is your avatar of? I recognize the face, but I can't recall the name.

EightyOne

How about I play devil's advocate here, and point out that the Thai's may be showing their nobility here by taking care of their guests before they take care of their own.
I suppose that is a nice way of looking at the situation; however, I believe that is a decision that should be made on an individual basis. Meaning that the people themselves, not institutions (the government, shelters, hospitals, etc.), should be offering hospitality to foreigners as they see fit.

By the way, 81, who is your avatar of? I recognize the face, but I can't recall the name.
That's Thomas Paine.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
EightyOne said:
I suppose that is a nice way of looking at the situation; however, I believe that is a decision that should be made on an individual basis. Meaning that the people themselves, not institutions (the government, shelters, hospitals, etc.), should be offering hospitality to foreigners as they see fit.
I confess I have a problem with the fact that treating foreigners first is a Thai government policy. I agree that, even if it is guided by the best of human intentions, it is misguided. I guess I'm agreeing with you too much to be a decent devil's advocate. Oh well. You'd think that the priorities would be set by the doctors, nurses, and aid workers themselves, rather than by the government.

That's Thomas Paine.
Ah yes! Thank you.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
A prophet is without honor in his own country.

We can be harsher on our own just trying to be fair.

Ask my son. I NEVER coddle him on a campout or dive. I do have to be careful that I don't neglect him in trying NOT to show favoritism.

I find nobility in their actions, and not anything nefarious.

But I also do business with the Thai government, so I am not impeachable.

EightyOne

A prophet is without honor in his own country.
Off-topic, but I have never quite understood why Jesus said that. Mohammed seemed to muster up a great deal of respect within his own.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Perhaps Mohammed wasn't a prophet?

But some cultures excel at putting OTHERS first that the other cultures have a hard time understanding it!

The US is known for it's generosity, and even sometimes ridiculed for it. However ours is a generosity out of abundance, and not in spite of shortages. It's not so much that we wouldn't do it that way, but we really can't comprehend the mentality behind the generosity.

EightyOne

Perhaps Mohammed wasn't a prophet?
*shrug* That's news to me. I'm quite certain that any religious scholar - Muslim or otherwise - will state that he was a prophet of Allah. Whether one believes his message to be true or not is an entirely different issue altogether.

But some cultures excel at putting OTHERS first that the other cultures have a hard time understanding it!
Maybe so, but the article does not express this sentiment:

"...but all around the Indian Ocean there have been reports of local people feeling ignored or insulted by the meager aid that has trickled to them since Sunday."

"'I'm living without hope and have not received any assistance,' he said."

"In India, survivors complained of feeling insulted by piles of secondhand clothes dumped at roadsides for them."

"...refugees grumbled about the perceived condescending attitude of relief workers."

"'We have been insulted so much that we don't want any aid from anybody,' said 35-year-old Lakshimi, who goes by only one name. 'We are prepared to die. They bring food for a few hundred people to a place where thousands of people are sheltered. They bring too few clothes, too little milk, which results in a melee. We have never looked for alms from anybody, now we have been reduced to beggars.'"

This does not exactly sound like these people's culture revolves around esteeming foreigners higher than their neighbors. It does, however, sound like it is the custom of the government officials:

"Robert Eunson, 52, from Yorkshire, northern England, said that 'the greatest need should be given the greatest care,' but he acknowledged there was an element of self-interest in Thai authorities' rush to help foreigners. 'Tourism is so important to them so it's a hierarchy,' he said."