• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Texas Law Banning Abortion After About Six Weeks Takes Effect

tytlyf

Not Religious
To bad you didn't read the rest of the abstract and just focused on a conclusion with a very narrow and ignorant viewpoint.
Too bad you didn't read the study you linked. I don't have to read the whole thing, I read the conclusion and findings. Which were the opposite of your intent.
I'll note you didn't mention these marvelous "abstracts" that you found.
Enlighten me, I'll play your nothing burger game again.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Strange. I've seen many animals born and seen people born. I've never seen a woman give birth to anything but a person, just like sheep always give birth to sheep. If they ain't people, why do they have human DNA?
Because "person" is a legal construct. A fetus is a human, no question but it is not a person. A person has a name, is born and has rights, e.g. is eligible for child support. As @ecco already explained to you, when you can get a social security number for your fetus, it is a person.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Because "person" is a legal construct. A fetus is a human, no question but it is not a person. A person has a name, is born and has rights, e.g. is eligible for child support. As @ecco already explained to you, when you can get a social security number for your fetus, it is a person.
Such a silly definition of a person. " I'm so excited that I'm going to have a fetus!" Said no woman ever.

ecco

Veteran Member
Strange. I've seen many animals born and seen people born. I've never seen a woman give birth to anything but a person, just like sheep always give birth to sheep. If they ain't people, why do they have human DNA?
You are well aware this is not about anything but proper usage of accepted English. A fetus is not a person.

fe·tus
/ˈfēdəs/
noun
  1. an unborn offspring of a mammal, in particular an unborn human baby more than eight weeks after conception.
per·son
/ˈpərs(ə)n/

noun
  1. 1.
    a human being regarded as an individual.

If you don't want to accept English definitions then I could refer to you as embryonic tissue.

The federal government does not issue social security numbers to fetuses, it does to persons.

Texas does not give welfare money to pregnant women for a fetus, it does to mothers of babies, infants, and children.

In point of fact, pregnant women are not referred to as mothers.

You can make up all sorts of definitions if you want to, but your definitions have no meaning.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
In point of fact, pregnant women are not referred to as mothers.

You can make up all sorts of definitions if you want to, but your definitions have no meaning.

Screen-Shot-2021-09-03-at-3-00-52-PM.png

ecco

Veteran Member
Such a silly definition of a person. " I'm so excited that I'm going to have a fetus!" Said no woman ever.
Oops! Was that a Freudian slip on your part? Did you just acknowledge that a pregnant woman is going to have a baby. GOING TO as in the future.

A pregnant woman is carrying a fetus.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Too bad you didn't read the study you linked. I don't have to read the whole thing, I read the conclusion and findings. Which were the opposite of your intent.
I'll note you didn't mention these marvelous "abstracts" that you found.
Enlighten me, I'll play your nothing burger game again.
Wonderful clairvoyance skills here.

I guess abstracts sourced by Live Science does not hold adequate enough sway.

It's really your problem. Not mine.

Twilight Hue

You brought it up. And failed to mention 1. Don't waste my time.
Oh. I hadn't realized I brought up something that has been out there for awhile.

Oh, and my apologies, I meant BMJ prior to the Live Science science sourcing on the matter. A government site, just to clarify.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
Do I need to define the word "expectant" to you? It refers to the future.

In the future she may be the mother of a child.

You said: "pregnant women are not referred to as mothers."

Point of fact: yes, they actually are. It's a very common term.

I've been an expectant mother three times. You?

Heyo

Veteran Member
Such a silly definition of a person.
Lawyers aren't always fortunate with their definitions.
" I'm so excited that I'm going to have a fetus!" Said no woman ever.
So what do they say? " I'm so excited that I'm going to have a baby!". Yep. they are not having a baby yet, they are going to. Another of those words misused by the anti choice crowd. A fetus is not a baby and not a person.

ecco

Veteran Member
Parts of this thread discussed the sensation of pain suffered by the fetus during an abortion. If that is a real concern, all births should be by Cesarean delivery. I would imagine being pushed toward the womb opening would be painful. I would imagine squeezing through a womb opening is very painful.

Perhaps we should all write to the Texas Legislators to insist on Cesarean delivery to prevent all that pain. It would probably be a good idea to send copies to members of the Supreme Court also.

ecco

Veteran Member

I guess someone does need to explain the meaning of the word "expectant" to you. But I won't waste my time.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
What about people living on government assistance? If you cannot afford to raise the kids you have now without financial help from the government, you cannot have more children. Seems reasonable.
Do you consider your government trustworthy enough to decide who is allowed to have children or not? Or are you putting yourself in the role of the person who would be deciding these issues for others?

anna.

but mostly it's the same
I guess someone does need to explain the meaning of the word "expectant" to you. But I won't waste my time.

No male needs to explain the term expectant mother to me, thanks. I've known many expectant mothers in my life and not one of them ever referred to her "fetus." As in, I've never been invited to a "fetus shower."

That's a term used in science and medicine - and by those who wish to dissociate themselves from the intended target of the abortion.

Kooky

Freedom from Sanity
No male needs to explain the term expectant mother to me, thanks. I've known many expectant mothers in my life and not one of them ever referred to her "fetus." As in, I've never been invited to a "fetus shower."

That's a term used in science and medicine - and by those who wish to dissociate themselves from the intended target of the abortion.
Do you believe that a woman should have a choice in being pregnant?

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

To refer to an expectant woman as not a mother is a definite sign on how severely today's society has become cognitively hobbled and crippled.