• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ten Scrobbles or More: The Top 1,500 Songs

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics

I spent 4-5 hours between yesterday and today curating this playlist. It's simply the best playlist I could go by with no restrictions. The order is listed by top listened to songs first. This is the top 1,500 songs from the first 2,709 songs on my scrobble list on Last FM, curated from the last ten+ years. I filtered out duplicates and songs I felt didn't meet the quality I wanted for this playlist. Pretty much every song on this playlist to me is five stars out of five. And every song I have already listened to at least ten times. This is now my top go-to playlist and it's best listened to as a shuffle.

Let me know what you think of it, and if my music taste matches yours.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I scrolled through the first few hundred songs.

I see a few songs/musicians I like. I also see a few songs/musicians I don't like. The grand majority I've never heard of. Overall, I think my music tastes are generally a bit heavier than yours.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for sharing. I saw some bands and songs I like and many that I am not familiar with. My list would probably be heavier in 70's and 80's rock as well as hard/heavy rockers.

Given the eclectic nature of my tastes, I would be inclined to listen to some of the unknown material and artists to give them a fair shake.

So much music, so little time.

Heyo

Veteran Member

I spent 4-5 hours between yesterday and today curating this playlist. It's simply the best playlist I could go by with no restrictions. The order is listed by top listened to songs first. This is the top 1,500 songs from the first 2,709 songs on my scrobble list on Last FM, curated from the last ten+ years. I filtered out duplicates and songs I felt didn't meet the quality I wanted for this playlist. Pretty much every song on this playlist to me is five stars out of five. And every song I have already listened to at least ten times. This is now my top go-to playlist and it's best listened to as a shuffle.

Let me know what you think of it, and if my music taste matches yours.
From the few songs I recognized, I'd say you are a bit younger than the average here.

Overall, I think my music tastes are generally a bit heavier than yours.

My list would probably be heavier in 70's and 80's rock as well as hard/heavy rockers.

I guess we'd have some overlap or at least recognize more than a few.

Bohemian Rhapsody, Sympathy for the Devil, Purple Haze, Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Cashmere, Bourrée (Tull), Paradise by the Dashboard Light, Hotel California, The Walrus, Thunderstruck. Anything you don't recognize?

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
From the few songs I recognized, I'd say you are a bit younger than the average here.

Bohemian Rhapsody, Sympathy for the Devil, Purple Haze, Shine on You Crazy Diamond, Cashmere, Bourrée (Tull), Paradise by the Dashboard Light, Hotel California, The Walrus, Thunderstruck. Anything you don't recognize?

I recognize Bohemian Rhapsody(like very much), Hotel California(abhor it) and Thunderstruck(not a favorite).

I know you asked for what I don't recognize, but it seemed easier in this case to say what I do.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I recognize Bohemian Rhapsody(like very much), Hotel California(abhor it) and Thunderstruck(not a favorite).

I know you asked for what I don't recognize, but it seemed easier in this case to say what I do.
I'm surprised. I thought they were all common knowledge. Maybe you recognize some more when you hear them?
tbc.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

I recognize everything you mention and they are songs I listen to.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member

Not familiar with the first at all, the second sounds familiar, the third I definitely know, but didn't know the name.

As for the second set of songs:

Know the first, never heard the other three.

It could be said I live under a rock.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
That's were I lived (regarding popular music) for the last 25 years or so.

I think I tuned out 15ish years ago...

In a world where its expected to have a broad musical taste, I can admit mine is pretty picky. There's a lot of mechanical undertones in music now I don't care for(and I've always been genre particular anyways).

But go figure, I love NIN. Who knows why we like what we do...

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I have a theory or two, but yeah, it's difficult to understand where music taste comes from.
I grew up listening to Country, some Rock, Classical, and Big Band Era stuff. Mostly what my parents listened too.

In the early 80's my church youth group had some discussions regarding rock music popular from the 60's to the then present. We even listened to some songs backwards to hear what were reported to be hidden messages. I heard something. Not sure what that means. A couple of them were obviously engineered, but others were rather imaginative interpretations that may have been nothing. I think many of my friends decided to pass on certain groups or genres, but instead of getting me to avoid them, it opened up an entirely new world of music for me. I started listening to 80's metal and all the classic 60's and 70's rock I had missed out on. Love the guitars. Today, I am a big fan of Led Zeppelin, Rush, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Triumph, Rainbow, Dio, Queen, Motley Crue, Megadeth, Metallica, Anthrax, Van Halen, AC/DC and much more along those lines. It wasn't until a few years ago, that I also started listening to Slayer after having seen them in concert twice. Lyrically very graphic, but powerful music.

I started losing interest in most contemporary pop beginning in the 1990's and accelerating into the present, but it is difficult to know what will catch my interest. Recently, I have been exploring the music of a vocalist named SJ Tucker and the solo work of Marc Almond (vocalist for Soft Cell). Neither of those are metal or hard rock.

To balance that out, I have been exploring some of the prominent bands of the New Wave of British Heavy Metal including Tygers of Pan Tang and Praying Mantis.

Of course, next month who knows. I could be listening entirely to the Who and Jason and the Scorchers.