• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ten Commandments in a court house

Pah

Uber all member
http://www.channeloklahoma.com/news/3899979/detail.html

Haskell County Officials Post Ten Commandments
Commissioners Add Monument To County Courthouse

POSTED: 12:16 pm CST November 8, 2004

STIGLER, Okla. -- Haskell County commissioners have added a Ten Commandments monument to the county courthouse, a county official said Monday.

An official in the Haskell County court clerk's office said the monument was added to the courthouse in Stigler on Friday.

The addition of the monument comes less than a month after the U.S. Supreme Court decided to hear cases on whether such monuments on government property are legal.

Courts around the country are divided over whether the monuments violate the constitutional separation of church and state. Ten Commandments monuments are common in town squares and on courthouses.

Fine - as long as it's this version:

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I wonder how these same people who support putting religious monuments up would react if someone put up a text from the Qur'an, or Buddha's Eightfold Path, or something from the Bhagavad Gita? :rolleyes:

jewscout

Religious Zionist
And yet no one seems to care that the Supreme Court has the Ten Commandments carved into their halls:sarcastic

Besides in Jewish tradition most of the people living in the US aren't held to the Ten Commandments.
Perhaps we should put the 7 Noahide Laws up instead:jiggy:

Pah

Uber all member
jewscout said:
And yet no one seems to care that the Supreme Court has the Ten Commandments carved into their halls:sarcastic

Besides in Jewish tradition most of the people living in the US aren't held to the Ten Commandments.
Perhaps we should put the 7 Noahide Laws up instead:jiggy:

Actually Jewscout, the depictions of the Ten Commandments in the Supreme Court (two of them) are much like the one in my OP except you can't read any of the letters on one and there are no letters on the other.

-pah-

Cuthberta

Fresh off the press! God just handed me this latest edition of the Commandments--He's decided there should be Eleven, by the way:

I. Thou shalt take any and all religious pronouncements with a grain of salt.

II. Thou shalt be exceedingly careful about whom and what you bow down to in worship.

III. Thou shalt keep thy prayerful utterances to thyself and contained within your closet.

IV. Do not swear falsely in a court of law.

V. Remember that everyone who works for a living needs a day of rest and holidays.

VI. Try to honor and respect your parents–they might even know what they are doing–and you might be a parent yourself one day and want a little respect.

VII. Killing is nasty and leaves messy bodies to dispose of. Don’t do it. Same for war. Really bad.

VIII. Be discreet about your intimacies. Commitment is not always a bad thing and has much to recommend it.

IX. Make sure you understand what stealing is. One may be obliged to steal if one is starving or dying and there are no other alternatives. Remember that what Enron did to hundreds of thousands of people is stealing. Remember that insider trading is stealing. There are many ways of stealing.

X. Don’t gossip about your neighbors–or anyone else–and spread evil rumors. You, especially, Ann Coulter!!

XI. Sorry, I need Eleven Commandments to cover it all. Don’t waste your time being envious of what other folks have. You probably wouldn’t be happy if you had it any way and you’d still be envious.