• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Temple of Set and the LHP

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
To Temple of Set members. There are those on the forum that question whether or not the Temple of Set is Left-Hand Path. They site such things as the Temple is ruled by dogma (is "Xeper" a dogma?), or a Degree system in which say a First Degree Initiate is held to a standard overseen by "higher ups", or the $80.00 annual membership fee is dubious (the ToS is after your wallet), etc. Is the Temple of Set LHP, how is it LHP? And what about the questions of dogma, the Degree system (how is being held to a certain standard not LHP?), and the $80.00 annual membership fee? Or are the un-initiated opinions of those here not even worth the time?

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Last edited:

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
I'm not interested in one liners. Why do you think it is "just another church"?

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
My apologies in advance for the following one-liner:

Why in the heck would the acceptance or rejection of the label by others matter? Increased resistance?

Last edited:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
My apologies in advance for the following one-liner:

Why in the heck would the acceptance or rejection of the label by others matter? Increased resistance?

Maybe it's because the Temple of Set is sacred to me personally and I take its name literally, and I don't want to see it misrepresented by those who have never even been initiated into the Realms of Setian Magic. I know I'm probably taking certain RF members too seriously, well, I guess that's my bad. :ignore: I think I do have a lagitimate gripe here.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Last edited:

MacKinnon

Personally, I don't care about the opinions of anyone until their opinion causes problems for me. I stand nothing to gain from talking with people about something they have no experience of, particularly when they have no interest in the subject beyond their own misconceptions, except occasional casual amusement.

Who's definition of what is LHP are we using? Who are we talking about in each instance? You're just posting what you say are opinions of people here, out with the Temple. Do you worry about misrepresenting them, and so leave them anonymous so as not to be corrected or challenged by them?

Why is the Temple sacred to you?

Why do their opinions matter to you? Is your Initiation affected by them? With so much information about what the Temple's aims and objectives are already publicly available for those who care enough to read, why should anybody waste time with those who don't?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Well do you have a definition of LHP that includes living up to the standards of others in order to be worthy of paying them to join their secret club? Doesn't help that the OP asked in the DIR for soley inclusivist responses. My question to OP that he could not answer without addressing his congregation was why is being seen as LHP so important rather than is ToS LHP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Premium Member
Ok Doors, what exactly is your definition of the LHP?

What would I say are some defining traits of the LHP?

- Customized belief system

- Lack of any religious like community (as such a community could hardly exist)

- No leaders except the individuals

- Self created standards

- Lack of religious texts

ToS contradicts every single one.

Premium Member
This is all I'm going to say... :D... I am green with envy.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!

Won't address the issue, not even slightly surprising. Anyways I have nothing against the temple of set, I just wish they'd drop the LHP label. The path is making considerable progress and I would appreciate it not being viewed as so religious and such. Though I do understand the LHP label keeps people applying so fair enough.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Won't address the issue, not even slightly surprising. Anyways I have nothing against the temple of set, I just wish they'd drop the LHP label. The path is making considerable progress and I would appreciate it not being viewed as so religious and such. Though I do understand the LHP label keeps people applying so fair enough.

You know as well as I that I have addressed the issue multiple times in the past. I am really not all that excited about repeating myself over and over again. You say you don't have a problem with the ToS, but you really do seem to have a problem with me.

Last edited:

Premium Member
I don't have a problem with you either, just you bringing your RHP philosophy into the DIR. Of course now that I know you're a 40-year-old child I can simply laugh you off. And trying to offend me for dull and boring? Apologies I can't quote aquino and your holy works with you, I'm proud to not be a fundamentalist, not insulted. Don't bother trying to drag me down with you I passed this adolescent pseudo-LHP phase in high school.

Plus, besides my argument against LHP vs RHP I like ToS and I think you give them a horrid name.

Last edited by a moderator:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
I don't have a problem with you either, just you bringing your RHP philosophy into the DIR. Of course now that I know you're a 40-year-old child I can simply laugh you off. And trying to offend me for dull and boring? Apologies I can't quote aquino and your holy works with you, I'm proud to not be a fundamentalist, not insulted. Don't bother trying to drag me down with you I passed this adolescent pseudo-LHP phase in high school.

Plus, besides my argument against LHP vs RHP I like ToS and I think you give them a horrid name.

Don't pretend with me Doors, I know for a fact that you have not studied Setian philosophy enough to even comment on it. You know as well as I that you despise the ToS... yeah, you know. :yes: And for no good reason. Keep it up, this can only go so far.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!

Premium Member
Don't pretend with me Doors, I know for a fact that you have not studied Setian philosophy enough to even comment on it. You know as well as I that you despise the ToS... yeah, you know. :yes: And for no good reason. Keep it up, this can only go so far.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
Gnothi seauton!

Not any more than I despise the Catholic church, far far less actually. And the fact that you just said I have to study Setian philosophy, philosophy written by those setting the standards, while still thinking you walk the LHP is utterly pathetic.

You can keep your dogma, I prefer less biased and more open sources.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Not any more than I despise the Catholic church, far far less actually. And the fact that you just said I have to study Setian philosophy, philosophy written by those setting the standards, while still thinking you walk the LHP is utterly pathetic.

You can keep your dogma, I prefer less biased and more open sources.

Doors, perhaps if you approach this from the scientific perspective, it might be helpful. When doing experimental research, you need controls in place in order to make the results meaningful and replicable, no? Now I ask, what is the philosophical equivalent of a laboratory environment?

Daelach

Setian
The 80 bucks.. that's ridiculous to bicker about. Every little chess or hobby football club will charge about that amount of money, and no one will think they wanna get rich. If you want an example of how to get rich, then Scientology is the place to look. It is especially absurd for an organisation where the leaders want to get rich to screen the candidates and reject quite a number. If the TOS leaders wanted to make money, they would welcome everyone who's paying! Just common business sense.

For the LHP question.. according to the original Eastern LHP, the TOS isn't LHP. The whole RHP/LHP definition of unity vs. separation completely misses the point. In the actual Eastern LHP, the aims of the paths are the same, only the means are different. Judging from the choice of means, and especially from which means are strictly rejected by the TOS, the TOS is clearly RHP if the actual Eastern terms are applied where the whole thing stems from.

However, that doesn't devalue the path in itself since it can well lead somewhere. Only the label is a bit misguiding.

Last edited: