• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Temple endowment ceremony

InChrist

Free4ever
Recently I was thinking about the time I went to the temple for my endowments. I can't recall where in the standard works of the church it gives the instructions regarding the endowment ceremony. Does anyone know?

Yep!

Recently I was thinking about the time I went to the temple for my endowments. I can't recall where in the standard works of the church it gives the instructions regarding the endowment ceremony. Does anyone know?
The details of the ceremony aren't found in the standard works, although references to it can be found throughout the Bible if you are very generous in your reading. The Washing and Annointing follows the pattern set up for Moses to perform with Aaron and his sons.

InChrist

Free4ever
The details of the ceremony aren't found in the standard works, although references to it can be found throughout the Bible if you are very generous in your reading. The Washing and Annointing follows the pattern set up for Moses to perform with Aaron and his sons.

Thank you. I am surprised that something as significant as instructions for the endowment ceremony is not given in the standard works of the church. The purpose and practices of the Jewish temple seems so different.

Yep!

Thank you. I am surprised that something as significant as instructions for the endowment ceremony is not given in the standard works of the church. The purpose and practices of the Jewish temple seems so different.

Well, imo, the temples in the Bible were limited in scope due to the absence of the Melchizidek priesthood. Also, I personally believe that the instructions for the ancient temples are not fully present in scripture, I believe there were other aspects of worshipped that were too sacred for writing.

Orontes

Master of the Horse

Hello,

Traditionally, scriptures have not been used as an exhaustive reference for the faith. As with Judaism, so with primitive Christianity and the LDS Church now: there is both a public and esoteric element. Temple rites fall into the later sphere.

Last edited:

InChrist

Free4ever
Hello,

Traditionally, scriptures have not been used as an exhaustive reference for the faith. As with Judaism, so with primitive Christianity and the LDS Church now: there is both a public and esoteric element. Temple rites fall into the later sphere.

Thank you for your response. So you are saying that the LDS temple ceremonies are esoteric practices and are not based on or derived from the scriptures?

Yep!

Thank you for your response. So you are saying that the LDS temple ceremonies are esoteric practices and are not based on or derived from the scriptures?
I believe that he is stating that they are held sacred and not intended to be available to the unbeliever. The term "esoteric" is misleading and implies more than is the case. Also, some of the words in scripture are derived from the mortal writer's understanding of Temple ceremonies from an LDS perspective. So, the Temple ceremonies are not derived from scripture, but the two are inseparably entwined.

Orontes

Master of the Horse

Hello,

I was pointing out that scriptures in the traditions I mentioned have not been seen as exhaustive. Scriptures have a variety of roles, including to educate and promote the faith. They have an evangelical element. They may also touch on the esoteric. However, esoteric elements proper (i.e. temple rites etc.) are not evangelical, but for the mature faithful. Let me give you a few examples of this kind of divide from the early Christian tradition to illustrate the idea:

-“In these circumstances, to speak of the Christian doctrine as a secret system, is altogether absurd. But that there should be certain doctrines, not made known to the multitude, which are (revealed) after the exoteric ones have been taught, is not a peculiarity of Christianity alone, but also of philosophic systems, in which certain truths are exoteric and others esoteric" -Origen

-" In the same manner the Apostles and Fathers who laid down laws for the Church from the beginning thus guarded the awful dignity of the mysteries in secrecy and silence, for what is bruited abroad random among the common folk is no mystery at all. This is the reason for our tradition of unwritten precepts and practices, that the knowledge of our dogmas may not become neglected and contemned by the multitude through familiarity. "Dogma" [doctrine] and "Kerugma" [preaching] are two distinct things; the former is observed in silence; the latter is proclaimed to all the world. One form of this silence is the obscurity employed in Scripture, which makes the meaning of "dogmas" difficult to be understood for the very advantage of the reader..." -Basil of Caesarea

-"We ought not then to parade the holy mysteries before the uninitiated, lest the heathen in their ignorance deride them, and the Catechumens being over-curious be offended."- Athanasius

One thing to note: mystery in Greek is mysterion. It was a technical term referring to rites and ceremonies.

Last edited:

Yep!

What do you mean by this, would you mind explaining your thoughts further?
There are numerous references to the temple ceremonies throughout the scriptures. From an LDS perspective some portions of the scriptures cannot be fully understood without an understanding of the temple ceremonies. Also, a thorough knowledge of the scriptures is necessary for one to gain the most understanding from the temple ceremonies.

Both are necessary.