• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Temple Clothes.

Wookiemonster

The*****isBack
I learned somthing new tonight and was hoping ya'll could answer some questions I have.

While dearching for modest Jewish clothing tonight, I came across a website selling LDS Temple clothing. I'm curious what is the purpose behind this clothing, besides the obvious of modesty. Why does it have to be all white? Or can it be other colors? If it required for both men and women? What about kids? Any head coverings involved?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I learned somthing new tonight and was hoping ya'll could answer some questions I have.

While dearching for modest Jewish clothing tonight, I came across a website selling LDS Temple clothing. I'm curious what is the purpose behind this clothing, besides the obvious of modesty. Why does it have to be all white? Or can it be other colors? If it required for both men and women? What about kids? Any head coverings involved?
I'm not sure exactly how to answer you because I'm thinking of several possible meanings for "temple clothing."

1. Once a member of the Church has been through the temple to receive his endowment (this involves both instruction and the making of sacred covenants with God), he is to wear special underwear at all times. This underwear is called "the temple garment." Its purpose is to serve as a constant reminder of the covenants we made in the temple. It's almost always white and there are several approved styles, all of which require that they be worn with modest clothing. (I say "almost always white" because there is a khaki version for servicemen.)

2. While in the temple, men and woman dress completely in white, right down to the shoes and socks. White is a symbol of purity. This clothing can be pretty much any style as long as it conforms to some basic requirements. For women, it's generally a long sleeved, ankle-length dress but beyond that, there are no really specific requirements. For men, it's most often just a white shirt and white pants (along with, what else? a white belt).

3. Finally, there is some symbolic clothing worn only in the temple when participating in the ceremonies (rituals, rites, etc.). It's not worn outside of the temple, so most people other than Mormons never see it. Most practicing Mormons who have received their endowments will, however, be buried the clothing described in item #2, and wearing this symbolic clothing as well. If a non-Mormon were to attend an LDS funeral and the viewing prior to the funeral, he would likely see the deceased wearing his temple clothing. This does include a head covering.

The only time children go to the temple is when their parents are "sealed" after having initially been married in a civil (i.e. non-temple) ceremony. When a couple gets married in the temple, all children born to them are considered to be "born in the covenant," meaning that the parent-child relationship will extend beyond the grave. When a couple gets married anywhere other than in the temple (whether it be in a church, a judge's chambers or on the beach), the children born to them are believed to be theirs only until death. If, however, a couple who was not initially married (i.e. "sealed") in the temple chooses to later go to the temple to receive this ordinance, any children that they have at that time accompany them and are sealed to them. The children would wear white, but their are no restrictions other than the color. Any future children would be considered to be born in the covenant.

Does that help? :)

Last edited:

Wookiemonster

The*****isBack
Yeah it does. I knew that modest clothing was part of some/most/all LDS' dress, I however had never seen temple clothing until last night. I belive what I saw last night falls under #2 while ofering clothing for children who would fall under #4.

Thanks for the explination!

Or and a few more questions.

1) Are men the only ones who recieve the "temple garment" underware?
2) I've heard several anit-LDS missionarys (I take what I've ehard with a grain of salt) claim that some LDS hold that this underware has protective properties, it their any truth to that claim.
3) Are you premited to talk about the symbolic clothing mentioned in #3? I'd be very intrested in learning about it.

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
Yeah it does. I knew that modest clothing was part of some/most/all LDS' dress, I however had never seen temple clothing until last night. I belive what I saw last night falls under #2 while ofering clothing for children who would fall under #4.

Thanks for the explination!

Or and a few more questions.

1) Are men the only ones who recieve the "temple garment" underware?
2) I've heard several anit-LDS missionarys (I take what I've ehard with a grain of salt) claim that some LDS hold that this underware has protective properties, it their any truth to that claim.
3) Are you premited to talk about the symbolic clothing mentioned in #3? I'd be very intrested in learning about it.

1- Nope. Women as well.
2- We are told the garments will protects us...however, I believe that to mean more spiritual protection than physical. Some people (FFH) will proclaim their lives have been saved because of the garment. However, there are hundreds of faithful garment wearing member who were killed despite having the garment on. Go figure :)

I think there's a video of the hotel guy...ugh...brain fart. He owns a famous motel line. Anyway, he says he was saved from physical harm because of the garment. Ohhhh the Marriot (I think)

3- I don't feel comfortable talking about it. Others might. Most won't, I assume.

Great questions :)

Wookiemonster

The*****isBack
1- Nope. Women as well.
2- We are told the garments will protects us...however, I believe that to mean more spiritual protection than physical. Some people (FFH) will proclaim their lives have been saved because of the garment. However, there are hundreds of faithful garment wearing member who were killed despite having the garment on. Go figure :)

I think there's a video of the hotel guy...ugh...brain fart. He owns a famous motel line. Anyway, he says he was saved from physical harm because of the garment. Ohhhh the Marriot (I think)

3- I don't feel comfortable talking about it. Others might. Most won't, I assume.

Great questions :)

Thanks for the answeres.

And of course they lead to more questions.

Do you see the spiritual protection offered by the garment to be 1)Protection in the sense that this garment reminds you of who you are and what your religion/G-d expects of you, hopefully keeping you on the straight and narrow? or 2)Protective in the sense of protecing you from demons/spritis?

Also, just out of curisoty do you feel uncomfortable talking about the symbolic clothing becasue 1) It is something sacred and holy to you and should therefore be kept between fellow LDS' or 2)Fear that it might be missunderstood or misconstured here on the boards or 3)None of the above?

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
Thanks for the answeres.

And of course they lead to more questions.

Do you see the spiritual protection offered by the garment to be 1)Protection in the sense that this garment reminds you of who you are and what your religion/G-d expects of you, hopefully keeping you on the straight and narrow? or 2)Protective in the sense of protecing you from demons/spritis?

Also, just out of curisoty do you feel uncomfortable talking about the symbolic clothing becasue 1) It is something sacred and holy to you and should therefore be kept between fellow LDS' or 2)Fear that it might be missunderstood or misconstured here on the boards or 3)None of the above?

1)Protection in the sense that this garment reminds you of who you are and what your religion/G-d expects of you, hopefully keeping you on the straight and narrow?- This is how I see it. Reminds me of the promises I have made to Heavenly Father :)

To answer your second question- I hope you didn't get the "talk to the hand" vibe or "I'm better than you so I can't share this with you, heathen" from my refusal to discuss the temple clothes. LDS members are asked to avoid talking about certain things outside the temple.

Interestingly enough, even such talk is avoided amongst other LDS members. These things aren't talked about at church or in the home as far as I know.

Wookiemonster

The*****isBack
To answer your second question- I hope you didn't get the "talk to the hand" vibe or "I'm better than you so I can't share this with you, heathen" from my refusal to discuss the temple clothes. LDS members are asked to avoid talking about certain things outside the temple.

Interestingly enough, even such talk is avoided amongst other LDS members. These things aren't talked about at church or in the home as far as I know.

I didn't. I was just curious if this was a case of the "you shouldn't talk about its'" or a case of you thinking it might be misconstured or missunderstood.

Also, are these garments "super secrets" not to be talked about? Or are they not to be talked about to aviod the risk of lessining their religions siginifance and sacaredness?

Please understand I'm not making fun, these are meant to be serious respectful questions, I'm just not good at comming up with the right words, so anything in quotes is the best I could do.

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
Oh, I know you aren't making fun! Your questions have been great.

No, I don't think the garment is super secret. The problem with them being seen as "magic" or whatever mysterious quality that surrounds them in the non-informed person's eyes is from the "we don't talk about that" answer. In my opinion.

A lot of people say Mormons wear "magic underwear". The best way to clear this up is to be as honest about them as we can be, thus eliminating misunderstandings.

One of the Twelve Apostles produced a booklet entitled "Preparing to Enter the Holy Temple". He discusses various things you have asked about. The link is LDS.org - Support Materials Chapter - Preparing to Enter the Holy Temple

Sola'lor

LDSUJC
I agree. I don't see any magical properties to the garments. I see it as sort of a special string on the finger. It's a reminder. The other day I saw some o fthe grament fabric at a fabric store. I said to my wife, "Hey we could make our own!" I wasn't serious of course.

I'd like to discuss about the #3 type clothing but I don't feel comfortable either. I wouldn't feel comfortable talking to other LDS about it either. There might be websites about it but most will be anti-LDS.