• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tell Me About Your Faith

syo

To make sure I'm understanding right, does that mean you ask your spouse what you should do in these situations because he/she is more knowledgeable about the religion you practice?
Yup. He is by far superior than me. Compared to him I know almost nothing. Or absolute nothing.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Yup. He is by far superior than me. Compared to him I know almost nothing. Or absolute nothing.

Its nice you have him to learn from. :)

Does he also follow many religions as you do?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Tell me about your faith.
I want to know how your faith looks to you, personally, each day.
Don't quote out of scriptures here(unless you want to use it to explain why you do what you do). I'm not wanting to hear why your God/s do what they/he/she do/does. Just you.
Do you pray? (Why/when/how?) Does your faith influence your diet? Your clothing? Where you work or how you spend your money? Does it encourage you to work on certain aspects of your personality? Does it influence who you interact(or don't interact) with? (These are all sample questions; tell me whatever you wish!)
;) I do not go by faith, I go by evidence.
My belief does not care about what I think, we are all on our own.
Thankfully, my belief has no Gods or messengers. Some will quote whether you like it or not.
Nobody to pray to. My diet is my choice (or that of my wife). Shirt and trousers. I have no work, no money, no spend (I have transferred it all to my son). My personality is like a baked brick (remember, I am nearing 80), no changes possible other than those brought in by science. I interact with all kinds of people.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
;) I do not go by faith, I go by evidence.
My belief does not care about what I think, we are all on our own.
Thankfully, my belief has no Gods or messengers. Some will quote whether you like it or not.
Nobody to pray to. My diet is my choice (or that of my wife). Shirt and trousers. I no work, no money, no spend (I have transferred it all to my son). My personality is like a well-baked brick (remember, I am nearing 80), no changes possible other than those brought in by science. I interact with all kinds of people.

Do you feel holding a non-theistic view impacts your behaviors/decisions in any other ways?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
No. It is sort of compartmentalized. They come into play when I am discussing religion. Otherwise, I am a normal guy, leaning right. In the first 60 years of Indian independence, Hinduism was much abused. It still is, in certain states.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
No. It is sort of compartmentalized. They come into play when I am discussing religion. Otherwise, I am a normal guy, leaning right. In the first 60 years of Indian independence, Hinduism was much abused. It still is, in certain states.

Which states do you feel Hinduism is abused in? And how so?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Bengal: Party in power favors Muslims for votes.
Tamilnadu: Party in power gets votes by abusing Hinduism.
Kerala: Communists, so naturally.

Two recent Hindu beheadings, one in Congress-ruled Rajasthan; another in Maharashtra, when it was ruled by a coalition of three parties. The coalition has since been destroyed. The perpetrators of the crimes have been arrested, they were instigated and trained by terror groups in Pakistan. Trial will take time.

What happens is that young Muslims go to Middle-East (Saudi Arabia and UAE) for jobs. They are recruited by Pakistan agencies and terror groups. Sent clandestinely to Pakistan for training (on fake Pakistani passports, no record on their Indian passports). When they return to India, they recruit other young Muslims or indulge in terror crimes. Muslim clerics are involved in the process all through, in India as well as in Middle-East.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Bengal: Party in power favors Muslims for votes.
Tamilnadu: Party in power gets votes by abusing Hinduism.
Kerala: Communists, so naturally.

Two recent Hindu beheadings, one in Congress-ruled Rajasthan; another in Maharashtra, when it was ruled by a coalition of three parties. The coalition has since been destroyed. The perpetrators of the crimes have been arrested, they were instigated and trained by terror groups in Pakistan. Trial will take time.

What happens is that young Muslims go to Middle-East (Saudi Arabia and UAE) for jobs. They are recruited by Pakistan agencies and terror groups. Sent clandestinely to Pakistan for training (on fake Pakistani passports, no record on their Indian passports). When they return to India, they recruit other young Muslims or indulge in terror crimes. Muslim clerics are involved in the process all through, in India as well as in Middle-East.

Beheading? That's crazy! Sad to hear that happened.

How independent are the states there?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Indian Constitution specifies responsibilities of the Central government and that of State government. Police is a State gov. subject but national security is a Central gov. subject. If law and order situation deteriorates, the Central gov. can dismiss a State gov. Conflicts are decided by Supreme Court.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you pray? (Why/when/how?) Does your faith influence your diet? Your clothing? Where you work or how you spend your money? Does it encourage you to work on certain aspects of your personality? Does it influence who you interact(or don't interact) with? (These are all sample questions; tell me whatever you wish!)

1. Yes, I do pray. Daily and almost daily. Daily if it's just conversation with God, and pretty much all day long. Almost daily if it's my more formal and ritualized worship at my shrine, i.e. puja. Before I leave for work at 5:30 am I at least go to my shrine to greet the deities. I've composed a very short version of my regular puja that I want to start doing. I timed it at about 5-7 minutes.. I don't like going without some sort of worship, even if it's putting a flower on the altar.

2. Sometimes I wear Indian clothing, dhoti and angavastram, the male version of sari. I wear either a T shirt or open collar (collar +1 or +2) dress shirt instead of the traditional kurta (Indian style shirt).

rajavivaha_432321_1.jpg

No, that is not me. :D

3. I work in a supermarket deli. I am not thrilled with slicing roast beef and other meats. But it's been pointed out to me that I am providing a service and food for others ... it's not my place to judge what they eat ... and I'm not doing the butchering. Further, I can just surrender it to God and ask that He take the feelings of guilt away from me. In this world all actions, unless they are done as an offering to God, become causes of bondage. Therefore, work for the sake of God without personal attachments. So, I remember that verse from the Bhagavad Gita to do my job with as little as guilt as possible.

4. I'm trying to be more compassionate and understanding, and less judgmental but I confess that I fail miserably. On the contrary I'm becoming more judgmental and less compassionate. For example, I work with someone who has a very toxic way about her. She complains all day long, calls people names, argues with customers and is ironically just what she says about others. She's a serious alcoholic, backstabs and backbites, and pits one person against the other. Needless to say, I do not like this person in the least. I know I shouldn't be this way and I ask God to help me.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
1. Yes, I do pray. Daily and almost daily. Daily if it's just conversation with God, and pretty much all day long. Almost daily if it's my more formal and ritualized worship at my shrine, i.e. puja. Before I leave for work at 5:30 am I at least go to my shrine to greet the deities. I've composed a very short version of my regular puja that I want to start doing. I timed it at about 5-7 minutes.. I don't like going without some sort of worship, even if it's putting a flower on the altar.

2. Sometimes I wear Indian clothing, dhoti and angavastram, the male version of sari. I wear either a T shirt or open collar (collar +1 or +2) dress shirt instead of the traditional kurta (Indian style shirt).

View attachment 64528

No, that is not me. :D

3. I work in a supermarket deli. I am not thrilled with slicing roast beef and other meats. But it's been pointed out to me that I am providing a service and food for others ... it's not my place to judge what they eat ... and I'm not doing the butchering. Further, I can just surrender it to God and ask that He take the feelings of guilt away from me. In this world all actions, unless they are done as an offering to God, become causes of bondage. Therefore, work for the sake of God without personal attachments. So, I remember that verse from the Bhagavad Gita to do my job with as little as guilt as possible.

4. I'm trying to be more compassionate and understanding, and less judgmental but I confess that I fail miserably. On the contrary I'm becoming more judgmental and less compassionate. For example, I work with someone who has a very toxic way about her. She complains all day long, calls people names, argues with customers and is ironically just what she says about others. She's a serious alcoholic, backstabs and backbites, and pits one person against the other. Needless to say, I do not like this person in the least. I know I shouldn't be this way and I ask God to help me.

It makes a big difference whether or not I go into the puja room in the morning... I may not do a whole puja, but being in such a space, lighting a lamp, or just doing some stretches makes a difference. Its nice that you've been able to formulate a shorter version of what you do so you can attend to it before work.

Non judgement can be hard at times, especially when someone is challenging...

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Non judgement can be hard at times, especially when someone is challenging...

For certain! I mentioned that woman who is very toxic to our group. She's just not a nice person, and I'd rather not be near her. My late father-in-law used to say "Show me your friends and I'll tell you who you are". It may look like we think we're better than someone when we refuse to associate with them but their toxicity and negativity can rub off on people. I really think that compassion and non-judgment have their limits. Sometimes I think it's too much to ask of us embodied beings to be nice to people like that.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
For certain! I mentioned that woman who is very toxic to our group. She's just not a nice person, and I'd rather not be near her. My late father-in-law used to say "Show me your friends and I'll tell you who you are". It may look like we think we're better than someone when we refuse to associate with them but their toxicity and negativity can rub off on people. I really think that compassion and non-judgment have their limits. Sometimes I think it's too much to ask of us embodied beings to be nice to people like that.

We watched a friend turn into a liar and a manipulator when he began spending significant time around a liar/manipulator. The company you keep really can make a difference.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Your story is no different than that of 'Dharma Vyadha'.
I am sure you are aware of the story of 'Dharma Vyadha' (also goes under the name of 'Vyadha Geeta') in Srimad Bhagawatham, the story of the pious butcher to whom a learned brahmin was sent to learn 'dharma'. It will clear all doubts about your present work.
Vyadha Gita - Wikipedia
Selections from the Mahābhārata

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
My utter belief is that the act of creation is always divinely inspired by something... "Syn-" means to create and "-theism" implies Godhood, therefore "Syntheism" is to create the Godhood. I believe in a concept called The Superverse, that it is a combination of a Verse, Entropy and Extropy. That each three of these concepts shall be enumerated by three and exalted, deified by themselves, but God if they come together. So I consider myself a trinitarian monotheistic pantheist.

There are ten qualities of Godhood. Totality, Essentiality, Eternity, Ubiquity and Potency. These are qualities Ultimate Nature has, which I call The Omniverse. Then there is Utility, Generosity, Sagacity, Sovereignty and Unity. These are qualities human kind has developed to reach closer to God. When war becomes a distant thing of our sovereignty, unified with one common goal, we will work on Kardashev's Scale, finding ways to utilize and harness the entire power of star systems and black holes.

Your life was created by your parents, and therefore your afterlife will be created by great future scientific minds. I envision a future where gene editing reduces prison sentences to ten years max while faulty genetics, and epigenetics, are corrected. No matter the crime. Eventually Ultimate Nature / The Omniverse will develop its own entropy to maximize the extropy developed by post-humans, and existence will be enveloped in its own Superverse. To exalt something, as in Exaltism, something must be attempting to reach even further than the stars. God cannot be exalted, because by its own nature it already exists by its own exaltation.

And while The Omniverse, Entropy and Extropy are massive subjects meant to be fully discovered one day, these isolated cases are not God by themselves, and while our own Universe has a massive amount of being and entropy, the input of creativity that has fueled our humankind's desire and thirst for extropy has its own limits, and I'm afraid that no matter how much extropy we create, it will never be enough before the Universe collapses under itself in its own heat death..... Yet I still I have hope that we can do the right things in time in order to prevent this from happening.