• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Televangelist Calls for Chavez' Death

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson suggested on-air that American operatives assassinate Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez to stop his country from becoming "a launching pad for communist infiltration and Muslim extremism."

"We have the ability to take him out, and I think the time has come that we exercise that ability," Robertson said Monday on the Christian Broadcast Network's "The 700 Club."
"We don't need another $200 billion war to get rid of one, you know, strong-arm dictator," he continued. "It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."

Balance of article at http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050823/ap_on_re_us/robertson_assassination
*************************************************************************************************
So much for separation of church and state, huh?

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
So much for 'love thy neighbour'
soapbox.gif

robtex

Veteran Member
Unfortunately, the christian paradigm has since its inception been open to the notion of religious war. Within the context of his beliefs his statements make sense. Any ruler who would promote Islam over christianty is by definition an "anti-christ"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti_christ

MatCauthorn

Isn't it kind of a nicety of US foreign policy that we don't go around whacking every foreign leader with whom we diagree? For Pat Robertson to suggest this sort of thing goes WAY too far, in my opinion.

-- Mat

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
how do people put up with such a nasty piece of work as Robertson.
His ideas seem completely evil.

Terry
_______________________________--
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
This is from the man that said feminism encourages women to "kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians." Does anyone really take him seriously anymore? :rolleyes:

MatCauthorn

Maize said:
Does anyone really take him seriously anymore? :rolleyes:
Unfortunately, "The 700 Club" is taken seriously by millions of people, which is why I'm worried about this. It's not as if it's some unknown off-the-wall crackpot saying these things. It's a VERY well-known crackpot. ;-) Seriously, though, you see my point. Just because he's well-known, his followers will think he's right about this situation.

-- Mat

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Engyo said:
...So much for separation of church and state, huh?
Now, I don't think any rational person agrees with Robertson, but since he is not a part of any government, I'm not sure why you threw in this gratuitious remark.:confused: I guess you are saying that religious people aren't allowed to have opinions regarding political issues. Perhaps you could clarify what 'seperation of church and state' has to do with one whack-job televangelist making a dumb comment.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
CaptainXeroid said:
Now, I don't think any rational person agrees with Robertson, but since he is not a part of any government, I'm not sure why you threw in this gratuitious remark.:confused: I guess you are saying that religious people aren't allowed to have opinions regarding political issues. Perhaps you could clarify what 'seperation of church and state' has to do with one whack-job televangelist making a dumb comment.
Because he feels that the Government (state) should do this........and he feels he is speaking as a man of God (church), and as such is qualified to tell the state how to do it's job (lack of separation of).

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
MatCauthorn said:
Unfortunately, "The 700 Club" is taken seriously by millions of people, which is why I'm worried about this. It's not as if it's some unknown off-the-wall crackpot saying these things. It's a VERY well-known crackpot. ;-) Seriously, though, you see my point. Just because he's well-known, his followers will think he's right about this situation.

-- Mat
Hitler was believed by millions of people and look where that led.
He had religion to.
That sort of hatred is illegal in the UK he woul not only be off air but in Jail.

Terry
__________________________________-

robtex said:
Unfortunately, the christian paradigm has since its inception been open to the notion of religious war. Within the context of his beliefs his statements make sense. Any ruler who would promote Islam over christianty is by definition an "anti-christ"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti_christ
Unfortunately humans in general suffer from the burden of having its mother's all-too-eager-to-over-generalize brain. the modern reductionist has his work cut-out for himself.

Pat Robertson is an idiot for making that statement he is not the President or the Head of any Govt. Organization. He needs to sit down and shutup somewhere. I live in Va Beach and I know Pat Robertson personally he is an arrogant egomaniac and he needs to get saved.

-The Prophet

Fascist Christ

Engyo said:
Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson suggested on-air that American operatives assassinate Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez
Leave it to a death-glorifying Christian zealot to promote murder as the solution to a problem.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Fascist Christ said:
Leave it to a death-glorifying...
Where has Pat Robertson been death glorifying? Not that I'd put it pass him, but I'm curious whether he's glorified death?

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Engyo said:
Because he feels that the Government (state) should do this........and he feels he is speaking as a man of God (church), and as such is qualified to tell the state how to do it's job (lack of separation of).
I don't see that he is advocating the assassination to further religious goals.:confused: I don't agree with his reasoning, but I do not agree that his having an opinion violates a mythical concept that does not appear in the Constitution. When Jefferson referred to 'seperation of church and state', he meant that hte government should not restrict the practice of religion. He did not intend that religious people were not allowed to affect the political process or offer their opinions no matter how ill-informed.

The main point here should be that Robertson advocated the assassination of a foreign head of state, which IIRC, is against US law. The next question I have would be is his statement in itself against the law?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Terrywoodenpic said:
Hitler was believed by millions of people and look where that led.
He had religion to.
That sort of hatred is illegal in the UK he woul not only be off air but in Jail.

Terry
__________________________________-
Good point Terry!:)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
"It's a whole lot easier to have some of the covert operatives do the job and then get it over with."
I wonder if he realized the special forces, such as the Navy SEALS, are sent in for top secret missions that the general public wont know about until the information is de-classified many years latter.

Why does it seem that alot of wierd religion ideas come from California? I know its not the only place, but most of the odd religion things I've heard come from that state.

Fascist Christ

Sunstone said:
Where has Pat Robertson been death glorifying? Not that I'd put it pass him, but I'm curious whether he's glorified death?
It's not just him, but anybody who:
  • Glorifies the murder of Jesus the Nazarene as a form of redemption.
  • Glorifies an afterlife as a punishment or salvation after death.
  • Glorifies the atrocities of the Old Testament as some form of justice.
The Christian bible is so laden with blood, it does not surprise me when one of its stooges comes out demanding more bloodshed.