• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tech talk!

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Hey everyone,

I've been thinking about how diverse our interests and expertise are when it comes to technology. That's why I thought to create an unofficial, general tech thread. This would be a place where those with a deep understanding of computers could exchange ideas, discuss the latest developments, and offer insights into complex topics.

At the same time, this thread would welcome anyone with a computer-related question. Whether it's a query about a specific function on your smartphone or a discussion about the best software for a particular task.

And let's not forget about the occasional venting session – we all have those moments when we just need to complain about an app update gone wrong or a frustrating experience with a new gadget. I feel this thread could be a safe space for that too.

In essence, this thread could be a melting pot for things tech – a thread that's as much about sharing knowledge as it is about supporting each other through the tech-related triumphs and trials we all face.

What do you think? Let's make this happen! ^_^

Me personally, I've been on the fence about getting a new computer; a niche computer known as the NVIDIA AGX Orin caught my eye. The allure of a more powerful and more robust system is always tempting, especially for someone like me who appreciates cutting-edge technology. However, I'm also mindful of the cost with the system coming in at $2000, so I considered some cheaper alternatives as well.

Just when I was about to make a decision, I heard whispers of a new model of NVIDIA AGX Orin on the horizon, having twice the RAM without hiking up the price. That news was enough to put my plans on hold. True enough, this new model did materialize, but I'm in no rush. There's speculation of another revision in the works, and I'm curious to see what further improvements it might bring. If it doesn't materialize, I'll likely circle back to the latest NVIDIA AGX Orin that is released, without further revision.

In past discussions, some have suggested that I consider building a custom desktop as an alternative to acquiring an NVIDIA AGX Orin. However, upon reflection, I believe this comparison is akin to comparing apples to oranges. The NVIDIA AGX Orin is a specialized piece of hardware designed for specialized tasks, offering unique capabilities and a certain level of support that a traditional desktop has a difficult time matching.

In my view, the NVIDIA AGX Orin is more accurately positioned against products like the Apple Mac Studio. Both are tailored for professionals seeking high performance with specific applications in mind. While a custom desktop can be powerful, it doesn't quite align with the niche that the AGX Orin or Mac Studio fills.

I suppose that one of the key factors in my decision-making is the operating system. The NVIDIA AGX Orin runs on a form of Linux, which I personally find to be more secure than Windows. Of course, there's a valid argument that security "depends on knowledge and use cases." I agree with this to an extent. Anyways, I'd say both OSes - Windows and Linux - have their strengths and weaknesses.

Adding to the mix are the rumors of Windows 12. While I'm intrigued by what the next Windows might offer, my preference would likely still lean toward Linux.

While I generally love Linux, I've noticed a significant gap in software support when it comes to AAA commercial video games. Many of these high-profile games either lack support for Linux or are incompatible with it. This is a potential drawback for gamers who want to use Linux.

However, there's a silver lining: the Steam Deck. This handheld device, which runs on a Linux-based operating system, offers extensive support for a wide range of games, including some AAA titles often missing support from Linux platforms. It's an elegant solution that bridges the gap, but it's kind of the exception rather than the rule for Linux - as you won't get -quite- the same level of support from Linux desktops.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I also wanted to share my latest tech adventure. I took the plunge and installed Linux on my Asus laptop, which originally came with Windows. I was fully expecting to wrestle with Wifi driver issues since it's a system designed for Windows, but to my surprise, the Wifi worked flawlessly out of the box.

However, it wasn't all smooth sailing. The keyboard and audio decided to throw me a curveball and didn't work. Not one to be deterred, I picked up a new USB keyboard to tide me over while I work on patching up the laptop's original keyboard and sorting out the audio. It's been an interesting journey tweaking this machine to suit my needs.

libre

Skylark
Valve has single-handedly bolstered the adoption of Linux desktop by home users over the last 6 years than arguably any open source project. I'm rather happy with them.

My interests in tech are typically in the intersection between tech and policy rather than any detailed computer science, but I'd be happy to throw my hat in the ring if there are any discussions or questions in the future.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Valve has single-handedly bolstered the adoption of Linux desktop by home users over the last 6 years than arguably any open source project. I'm rather happy with them.

I agree!

I just wanted to clarify -

Thanks to Valve, game support is actually much better on Linux than if the Steam Deck were never released.

That being said, I feel the Steam Deck still has slightly better game compatibility than the Linux desktop. If I'm right, this could be another point in the Steam Deck's favor.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Me personally, I've been on the fence about getting a new computer; a niche computer known as the NVIDIA AGX Orin caught my eye. The allure of a more powerful and more robust system is always tempting, especially for someone like me who appreciates cutting-edge technology. However, I'm also mindful of the cost with the system coming in at $2000, so I considered some cheaper alternatives as well.

That might be an interesting side discussion, focusing on a cheapskate's guide to high tech. ;)

(Some of us here are cheapskates, but I'm not naming names.)

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
That might be an interesting side discussion, focusing on a cheapskate's guide to high tech. ;)

Well if you want to be a cheapskate, I wouldn't listen to a popular YouTuber named Linus on the matter :) (He recently tried to build something better than a PS5 at a lower price than the PS5, but seems to have failed at it.)

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well if you want to be a cheapskate, I wouldn't listen to a popular YouTuber named Linus on the matter :) (He recently tried to build something better than a PS5 at a lower price than the PS5, but seems to have failed at it.)

I sometimes check out the reconditioned or recycled items, although that can sometimes be a bit iffy.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

I've been thinking about this subject more, and I might have a couple of tips. They are:

1. Explore things like how much it would cost to build a desktop computer using used or new parts, but also accept that buying one pre-built may be the cheapest solution.

2. Graphics cards can get really expensive right now, probably due to a number of reasons. So accept that you may not be able to afford a graphics card that is as "fast" as you want, and also think about settling for a desktop with a more modest graphics card, but good other parts.

Sometimes, laptops can be a cheap solution too, but on occasion, performance can be more spotty than with a desktop - because of heat issues, etc

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I thought this article gave some interesting perspectives on Excel, which apparently has caused some havoc in some companies, including Formula 1, which is the focus of this article.

Starting in early 2023, Williams team principal James Vowles and chief technical officer Pat Fry started reworking the F1 team's systems for designing and building its car. It would be painful, but the pain would keep the team from falling even further behind. As they started figuring out new processes and systems, they encountered what they considered a core issue: Microsoft Excel.

"When you start tracking now hundreds of thousands of components through your organization moving around, an Excel spreadsheet is useless," Vowles told The Race. Because of the multiple states each part could be in—ordered, backordered, inspected, returned—humans are often left to work out the details. "And once you start putting that level of complexity in, which is where modern Formula 1 is, the Excel spreadsheet falls over, and humans fall over. And that's exactly where we are."

The idea that a modern Formula 1 team, building some of the most fantastically advanced and efficient machines on Earth, would be using Excel to build those machines might strike you as odd. F1 cars cost an estimated $12–$16 million each, with resource cap of about $145 million. But none of this really matters, and it actually makes sense, if you've ever worked IT at nearly any decent-sized organization.

Banks cited Tim Worstall's 2013 contention that Excel could be "the most dangerous software on the planet." Back then, international investment bankers were found manually copying and pasting Excel between Excel sheets to do their work, and it raised alarm.

But spreadsheets continue to show up where they ought not. Spreadsheet errors in recent years have led to police doxxing, false trainee test failures, an accidental $10 million crypto transfer, and bank shares sold at sorely undervalued prices. Spreadsheets are sometimes called the "dark matter" of large organizations, being ever-present and far too relied upon despite 90 percent of larger sheets being likely to have a major error.
So, Excel sheets catch a lot of blame, even if they're just a symptom of a larger issue. Still, it's good to see one no longer connected to the safety of a human heading into a turn at more than 200 miles per hour.

Excel could be "the most dangerous software on the planet."

I kinda, sorta know how to use Excel, although I admit I'm not very proficient with it. I'm not a fan.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member

I thought this article gave some interesting perspectives on Excel, which apparently has caused some havoc in some companies, including Formula 1, which is the focus of this article.

Excel could be "the most dangerous software on the planet."

I kinda, sorta know how to use Excel, although I admit I'm not very proficient with it. I'm not a fan.

Excel can be a bugger. Errors with it can be easy to make.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
So I've been hearing that Asus bought or licensed the Nuc line, which was a line of small computers by Intel. In any case, Asus is releasing their own Nucs soon, and there are models with an RTX 4060 or an RTX 4070, respectively. I've heard that prices will start at $1600 for the RTX 4060 computer and go up from there when it releases. To me, it sounds a little steep. I've heard that the RTX 4070 version could run $2500.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
What else does one use?

OpenOffice, but it's not much better.

Sorry if I wasn't very clear - the nature of spreadsheet programs and their imperfect implementation, as well as when you introduce human error - is a recipe for disaster. It's like taking the possibility of human error, and introducing the possibility of software error, as well as software that's kind of imperfect to begin with. And add to that the open process of trying to edit things quickly.