• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teaching the young about money?

Runt

I agree, Almifkhar, that parents should teach their children these things. But, unfortunately, not all parents do so. Is society to ignore the needs of these children as well, and allow them to grow up into irresponsible adults? Or should society take the step in teaching children as much about life as possible, from as many angles as possible, so that they can be well-informed adults capible of making their own sound decisions? I, for one, am glad that my school taught me a little about "money matters"... because my parents failed to educate me in this matter.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
almifkhar said:
this is so stupid. why is it that parents think that the schools should be teaching everything? the job of the school is to teach children how to read and write, do math, and to learn history and science, not to teach about religion, budgeting a checkbook, sex, or morals. these are things that parents should be teaching their children. this is the biggest problem facing our families, some parents don't feel the need to parent their children and think that someone else should do it for them. its crap.
While it is important for parents to teach their children all the things mentioned - no disagreement there - in regards to financial management, if the parent knows nothing then what are they capable of teaching the child but more of the same? Parents living on huge amounts of consumer credit and struggling to manage from paycheck to paycheck can only show their children how to continue the cycle.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Crystallas said:
Nobody on this forum is poor, we all have access to a computer and internet, which nobody needs... I say that were doing pretty darn good.
Access to a computer and the internet can be gained by trotting down to the local public library.
People don't need cigarettes either, and yet people will have a substandard diet in order to afford their habit. People don't need cable tv, and yet I've seen people struggle to put petrol in their car week after week while making sure their cable bill is paid. Having something unecessary is no indication that you can really afford it, just that you're prepared to duckshove, beg and borrow to keep it going.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
lady_lazarus said:
Access to a computer and the internet can be gained by trotting down to the local public library.
People don't need cigarettes either, and yet people will have a substandard diet in order to afford their habit. People don't need cable tv, and yet I've seen people struggle to put petrol in their car week after week while making sure their cable bill is paid. Having something unecessary is no indication that you can really afford it, just that you're prepared to duckshove, beg and borrow to keep it going.
Ah, but there again, isn't this yet another example of how people have been 'taught' about money ? As you say, Lady L, those things that two generations ago were deemed luxuries are now basic needs. I have seen chatshows here where people complain about the standard of living that the state expect of them, by the insufficient amount (their way of looking at it) of money that they are given. Never do you hear these people saying, "After my cigarettes, visits to the cinama, 'in vogue' clothes, hairdressing and make-up, I have only $### left to live on". All one hears is the 'I have only $### to live on'. Prioritize.:)

Crystallas

I walk to the library to use their power, their computers with their internet. Brilliant predictable responce. Frubals! Howdya know? I cant even afford to eat ramen noodles and fill up my moped with 1 gallon of gas a week since I smoke 2 cartons of cigarettes a week and have every channel (including playboy) on my 70" Plasma TV.

When I was growing up, people rarely had a larger TV than 20" Only buisness people had computers(8088s that didnt even have capabilities to network or print files.)
People relied on a garden to feed them atleast 10% of their food, and couldnt shower everyday because the water bill would be to high. Gas was reasonable with people still were buying economical cars. People lived in houses with 30 year old washing machines and 10 year old dryers. Their homes built in the 1920s, riding pass me down bicycles that were older than them with clothes that were passed down too. You made this contraption out of coathangers and tin foil to watch TV and listen to the radio. You would hope that someone in the family was planning on upgrading their furniture to try to get first dibs on something they wanted to throw out because you still had 20 year old furniture that was falling appart with extra nails in it to keep it stable. Majority of home owners had a 1 car garage if they had a garage at all, since people parked on the street. Movies rarely ever made their money back at the box office or even within the same year, I think star wars and smokey and the bandit were the only movies to turn any profit in 1977 alone. If you had a VCR, you didnt own many movies. If anything people would copy 3 movies onto one blank tape. You didnt buy new parts for your car very often, let alone upgrades or mods. You would have to make due often with what you got from a junk yard fixing up a 10 year old car. Handwriting was an essential thing even if you owned a typewritter that costs more than a entry level server does today. People barely used their phone, and it would cost them a weeks paycheck to pay it if something happened where they needed to be on the phone for a long period of time. Gah, soo many things used to be so expensive, and it was so hard to support yourself.

People cant survive off a minimum wage job today? If you think that then you need a swift kick in the arse. In reality, you can buy food, pay rent, and have somewhere to sleep and live another day on minimum wage. People are so F--ing spoiled and cant live up to their own mistakes. Petrol is a necessity? Thats piffle. Might be hard to live w/o a vehicle, but it is absolutely not a need, only a desire and a setback to those who dont have one, but no way is it a need.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Crystallas said:
I walk to the library to use their power, their computers with their internet. Brilliant predictable responce. Frubals! Howdya know? I cant even afford to eat ramen noodles and fill up my moped with 1 gallon of gas a week since I smoke 2 cartons of cigarettes a week and have every channel (including playboy) on my 70" Plasma TV.

When I was growing up, people rarely had a larger TV than 20" Only buisness people had computers(8088s that didnt even have capabilities to network or print files.)
People relied on a garden to feed them atleast 10% of their food, and couldnt shower everyday because the water bill would be to high. Gas was reasonable with people still were buying economical cars. People lived in houses with 30 year old washing machines and 10 year old dryers. Their homes built in the 1920s, riding pass me down bicycles that were older than them with clothes that were passed down too. You made this contraption out of coathangers and tin foil to watch TV and listen to the radio. You would hope that someone in the family was planning on upgrading their furniture to try to get first dibs on something they wanted to throw out because you still had 20 year old furniture that was falling appart with extra nails in it to keep it stable. Majority of home owners had a 1 car garage if they had a garage at all, since people parked on the street. Movies rarely ever made their money back at the box office or even within the same year, I think star wars and smokey and the bandit were the only movies to turn any profit in 1977 alone. If you had a VCR, you didnt own many movies. If anything people would copy 3 movies onto one blank tape. You didnt buy new parts for your car very often, let alone upgrades or mods. You would have to make due often with what you got from a junk yard fixing up a 10 year old car. Handwriting was an essential thing even if you owned a typewritter that costs more than a entry level server does today. People barely used their phone, and it would cost them a weeks paycheck to pay it if something happened where they needed to be on the phone for a long period of time. Gah, soo many things used to be so expensive, and it was so hard to support yourself.

People cant survive off a minimum wage job today? If you think that then you need a swift kick in the arse. In reality, you can buy food, pay rent, and have somewhere to sleep and live another day on minimum wage. People are so F--ing spoiled and cant live up to their own mistakes. Petrol is a necessity? Thats piffle. Might be hard to live w/o a vehicle, but it is absolutely not a need, only a desire and a setback to those who dont have one, but no way is it a need.
I'm not sure I get the point you're trying to make...if indeed there is one. If your intention was to argue against what I was saying, I must congratulate you on a miserable failure.