• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

taxes

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Aqualung said:
Somebody who does something where the likelyhood of being hurt is greatly above the average.

So living in a part of a city that has a higher crime rate than across town (even though you can't afford to live across town) is a risky lifestyle?

Driving a car instead of walking?

Being in the military or law enforcement?

Aqualung

Tasty
Maize said:
So living in a part of a city that has a higher crime rate than across town (even though you can't afford to live across town) is a risky lifestyle?
if you can't afford to live across town, then no. It's not your choice.

Driving a car instead of walking?
to an extent. But most people must drive to get to work, the store, etc.

Being in the military or law enforcement?
That's not a hightened risk. Not many cops get hurt, except in very not-average situations. cops and military personell are very well protected, what with their armour and weapons and the like.

Aqualung

Tasty
FeathersinHair said:
So not homosexuals, you're saying? I'm terribly sorry that I jumped to the conclusion that you were originally referring to them. Thankfully, what you list makes it less likely that you are describing someone who happens to like the same gender.

Again, my apologies for the assumption and for my thanks for you being gracious enough to come out and say you weren't referring to them.
They're definitely at a hightened risk, if they sleep around. And since it has happened that gay men are less likely to use protection, they are also risky. Not every homosexual is at hightened risk. But in general it is a risky lifestyle.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Aqualung said:
if you can't afford to live across town, then no. It's not your choice.
Ok, going with that.....
to an extent. But most people must drive to get to work, the store, etc.
They could get a job closer to work and stores... that's a choice they made to live far away and thus have to drive, right?
That's not a hightened risk. Not many cops get hurt, except in very not-average situations. cops and military personell are very well protected, what with their armour and weapons and the like.

I think the families of police officers and military personal who are burying their dead loved ones everyday might argue that with you. But I don't have any numbers to back that up. But wouldn't you agree that a police officer has many more risks of bodily harm than say... an accountant in the course of a work day? Why do you think they have armour and weapons and the like?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Aqualung said:
They're definitely at a hightened risk, if they sleep around. And since it has happened that gay men are less likely to use protection, they are also risky. Not every homosexual is at hightened risk. But in general it is a risky lifestyle.
As would be being a heterosexual? Since this is a different issue than 'taxes' and I don't want to steer us off topic, if you'd like to continue to insist this, why don't we step over and make another debate thread? I'd be more than happy to share my opinion on this issue. :)

Ulver

aqualung said:
Somebody who does something where the likelyhood of being hurt is greatly above the average.
People who sleep around with anybody who is willing.
People who do drugs
People who eat anything, no matter the health risks
smokers
drinkers

That sounds like a rather liberal definition that could probably make up at least (if not more) 90% of our country.

np: Jimi Hendrix- Voodoo Child

Aqualung

Tasty
Maize said:
They could get a job closer to work and stores... that's a choice they made to live far away and thus have to drive, right?
Yes, I was thinking about this when I was driving somewhere. Since most people drive, driving doesn't put you above the norm. But if you have been shown to drive erratically (you get too many speeding tickets, you have a history of crashes, and the like) then I would say you are at a hightened risk.

Maize said:
I think the families of police officers and military personal who are burying their dead loved ones everyday might argue that with you. But I don't have any numbers to back that up. But wouldn't you agree that a police officer has many more risks of bodily harm than say... an accountant in the course of a work day? Why do you think they have armour and weapons and the like?
I read a quote in a book by Michael Savage about a month ago. I don't remember the exact numbers, but it went something like this. Fewer soldiers have died since we invaded Iraq as people who die in car crashes every year. Doesn't go so well for my argument for cars, but it shows that soldiers really are well protected.
Our city and county hasn't had 1 officer die in the line of duty since I have lived here. There have been quite a lot of other deaths, though. Criminals don't normally shoot cops. They are going to be caught anyway, and shooting a cop just increases their jail time.

Aqualung

Tasty
FeathersinHair said:
As would be being a heterosexual? Since this is a different issue than 'taxes' and I don't want to steer us off topic, if you'd like to continue to insist this, why don't we step over and make another debate thread? I'd be more than happy to share my opinion on this issue. :)
Well, if you'd like. It would definitely be nice, since I don't exactly know what you're getting at with your statements. :)