• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tattoos

dawny1974

As a believer i'd like to do all that pleases our Father.

I've been wanting to get a tatto of the cross and a symbol of the children he blessed me with yet i'm not clear as to what scripture would assist me with this is it ok or a no,no?

Could some one please assist me with this issue.:help: Thank You

Dinogrrl

peeb!
I think it's a personal choice. I have a tattoo of a dragon-like critter (myself as an animal) around a cross (symbol of my faith). I have no problem with it...it's just an expression of myself and my faith. Although, it took my mom a little while to get used to it XD but she's cool with it now.

I think the only scripture that relates to this sort of thing is found in the Old Testament, which, imho, is up for interpretation and personal decision on whether or not to obey.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
Let me ask, are your ears pierced? Do you wear make up? Do you cut your hair?

I have 3 tattoos of unicorns, I do not think God will punish me for doing so. My son's father had a picture of Andrew inked onto his back. (very cute, cause Andrew has cupid wings in this picture.) I do not think God will judge him for doing that.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Here is the verse I have heard some people quote when they say tattoos are a 'no-no'.
Leviticus 19: 28 You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh on account of the dead or tattoo any marks upon you.:
Since this is in the Old Testament, many Christians would say it does not apply to them, but then other Christians treat Leviticus like a buffet, picking and choosing which laws they are going to enforce against others. I could not find a New Testament reference claiming tattoos were the work of Satan, so I'd say don't drink alcohol, and make sure the parlor uses sterilized needles. ;)

Personally, I don't have nor will I ever have any tattoos, not because of this passage, but because I just don't want 'em.:p

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
What I heard about that verse is that you shouldn't tattoo your body for the DEAD. Some other cultures of that time would get tattoos to commemorate the dead....I think. And they were supposed to be different from them - to be set apart.

So I guess if you are just getting one for other reasons, that wouldn't apply...but I personally wouldn't do it just because it's something you may change your mind about later and it's very costly and painful to remove.

A

angellous_evangellous

I have been wanting to get a tatoo on my hand, but I am thinking about committing a felony sometime and I don't want to be easily identified.

Biblically speaking, the felony will most likely be prohibited, but the tatoo is not unless it is openly blasphemous or mystical in nature (like for the dead or if you think it has some magical powers, etc).

Alien_Youth

Soldier in God's army
My youth leader has several tattoos all of them except for 1 some way related to his faith in Jesus. I have considered getting a tattoo of the cross with angel wings sprouting from it with the crown of thorns hanging off the top as a symbol and a reminder of the sacrifice Christ made for not only myself but all of humanity. There is only 2 things that make me apprehensive and those are the permanency of the tattoo and the pain involved in application/removal. On the issue of whether they are banned in the bible there is a scripture, (I can't remember where) that says thou shalt not defile the temple (the temple being the body) so I think as long as the tattooo isn't blasphemous or openly satanic or something to that effect then it's perfectly fine.

Just my thoughts,

Alien Youth

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
angellous_evangellous said:
I have been wanting to get a tatoo on my hand, but I am thinking about committing a felony sometime and I don't want to be easily identified.

Biblically speaking, the felony will most likely be prohibited, but the tatoo is not unless it is openly blasphemous or mystical in nature (like for the dead or if you think it has some magical powers, etc).
I really hope you're joking about this whole committing a felony thing. :sarcastic

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
I look at that Leviticus 19: 28 passage and think to myself, unless the next line says something like ...in memory of the dead. Then as a Christian it would be a sin. I say this from a fundamentalist view point, of which most Christians are not. So read it, and interperate in the way you see fit.

I myself have 3 Tattoos with plans on getting 5 more. In total It's be about $3000 worth of ink. I love my tattoos.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If the body is a temple, why not decorate it? On the same comparison, it wouldn't be any different than to carve a Jesus out of a stone pillar that is part of some temple.

Cr0wley

More Human Than Human
I can't wait until I turn 18 (next year), then I can legally get my first tattoo. Getting an ankh on the back of my neck, if I survive I have plans to get the numbers Donnie writes on his arm in Donnie Darko done precisely on the place where he wrote it. And on my arms I want portraits done of Rob Zombie, Alice Cooper, Gene Simmons, Marilyn Manson and Ozzy Osborne (The ultimate shock rockers), and the words Fait Ce Que Tu Voudras done somewhere...I can't wait! :D

Getting my first piercings next week, though. So psyched!

I just think it's cosmetic, if tattoos are evil, so's plastic surgery...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If the body is a temple...I don't think your supposed to desecrate it.
How is getting a tattoo of a religious symbol you follow closly follow desecrating it? Yes, a needle is repeatedly going in and out of your skin. But if its to show your proud of to be whatever, then why condemn it? If its desecration to your temple body, then so is making a statue out of a pillar at a worship-place temple.

Ezzedean

The way I look at it is if God wanted us to have marks or pictures of anything on our bodies we would have been born with them there. Why put symbols of religion or quotes from the Bible or Quran on your body when your gonna be doing some dirty things. You're gonna be going to the washroom, having sex and many other things with marks of God and religion on your body, this cant be good. This is just my opinion, i'm sure many people will think differently.

Peace and Blessings
Ezzedean

Ezzedean

Yes I know this... hence why we were born with them, and it was not placed there with a needle.

Peace and Blessings
Ezzedean Fadel

njcl

i have a rose tattoo with mine and the ex girfriends name on it,luckily ill be marrying her soon or else id be looking like a fool now,id love to get another tattoo,maybe a bulldog with the lords and my puppies name within it