• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Taking Stray Kittens Home

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
So, a few days ago, I found two stray kittens near my home. They are very small and appear pretty helpless, especially when it comes to getting food on their own. They don't run from people, and I saw that someone had left a bowl of milk for them. I suspect that they don't fear people because of being given food by them.

I've been thinking about taking both of them inside my home and getting one of them to a vet to check him out, as I think something might be wrong with his eyesight that might lead to his not being able to rely on himself and dying as a result. However, I have a few concerns about taking them inside:

1. I don't know how I'd teach them to go to a proper place to urinate or defecate

2. If I take them to the vet and it turns out that either of them has a serious medical condition, I might not be able to afford their treatment, and I'd feel terrible if I had to kick them out because of that

3. I've almost always gotten itchy when I've held or petted cats, so I'm not sure I'll be able to have much close contact with them in case I take them.

That said, I'm still leaning toward taking them to a vet, especially because of what I mentioned above about one of them seeming really weak and in need of treatment.

Does anyone here know how to teach a kitten or cat to use a specific place when urinating/defecating? Also, any other advice on how to handle cats in a situation like this or in general would be appreciated.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Kittens usually take pretty naturally to a litterbox. It's usually just a matter of showing them where it is, maybe placing them in it gently and letting them feel it under their paws. They'll figure it out quickly enough. They have the natural urge to want to bury their "stuff".

As to the allergies, a daily allergy pill suitable for indoor allergies that is a 24hr pill should help you there. Myself, I take Zyrtec every morning.

Now, for the expense part, I don't know about the facilities around you, but some animal hospitals/shelters (no-kill ones that is) around here have the option that if you cannot afford the treatment you can sign over custody of the animal to the clinic itself and once the treatment is taken care of they put the animal up for adoption, shots and all. This way at least part of the cost of the treatment, shots, and care is included in the cost of the adoption and the new owner is getting a completely checked out and vaccinated pet. I don't know if this could be an option for you, but perhaps you could see. All in all, vet bills aren't usually as high as some people think they are going to be though.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What Draka said; also, you could just foster them, if you don't want them fulltime. You could advertise in the newspaper and online for someone else to come to your place and adopt them.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Please take them to the vets.

Potty training is easy, cats love to be clean. They MAY want 2 trays each, not near where you feed them.

You can buy a bottle of stuff off the net to wipe on their coats occasionally to stop any allergic reaction.

This could be the start of true love!

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
I know I'm biased, but I think cats are the best pets in the world. They're intelligent and feel attached to you without requiring the constant care dogs do. Being independent animals means they're sometimes pretty stubborn, though.

Some kittens don't instantly understand that the litter box is for. However they learn it pretty fast after you show them the place and make sure that no other place smells of poo (yes, that's a valid concern). Our cats have picked up a very bad habit of leaving marks on one of the carpets when they think I've slacked on cleaning the litter box, so two boxes for two cats isn't a bad idea.

Taking them to the vet is a really good idea. If there's a big stray cat population in the area you might want to consider spaying them in case you can't take them in and no one else wants them. It's the least you can do to help them. Especially male cats live much longer when they're not constantly fighting with other males.

Be careful, your heart is at stake here. ;)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The biggest problem, as I see it, is your allergy to cats. They need contact to socialize properly.
If you're unable to hold them or stroke them without medical repercussions you might want to find them another home.

The Neo Nerd

I know I'm biased, but I think cats are the best pets in the world. They're intelligent and feel attached to you without requiring the constant care dogs do. Being independent animals means they're sometimes pretty stubborn, though.

Rats are better pets than cats. They are smarter, easier to look after.

And they don't go around killing wildlife.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Kittens usually take pretty naturally to a litterbox. It's usually just a matter of showing them where it is, maybe placing them in it gently and letting them feel it under their paws. They'll figure it out quickly enough. They have the natural urge to want to bury their "stuff".

As to the allergies, a daily allergy pill suitable for indoor allergies that is a 24hr pill should help you there. Myself, I take Zyrtec every morning.

Now, for the expense part, I don't know about the facilities around you, but some animal hospitals/shelters (no-kill ones that is) around here have the option that if you cannot afford the treatment you can sign over custody of the animal to the clinic itself and once the treatment is taken care of they put the animal up for adoption, shots and all. This way at least part of the cost of the treatment, shots, and care is included in the cost of the adoption and the new owner is getting a completely checked out and vaccinated pet. I don't know if this could be an option for you, but perhaps you could see. All in all, vet bills aren't usually as high as some people think they are going to be though.

That's helpful. Thanks!

I don't know about animal shelters here, but I want to take care of them myself. If I can't find a shelter, I'll probably take them to the vet anyway and see what I can do.

What I suspect one of them has are cataracts. He doesn't seem to be able to see clearly until things are very close to his eyes, and he's just pretty passive in general. I think he could have died by now if it hadn't been for people giving him food.

If I can treat them and find them another home to live in, then that will be great too. At the very least, it'd be a nice option to have if my allergies proved too much of a hindrance to keeping and taking care of them myself.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

Some kittens don't instantly understand that the litter box is for. However they learn it pretty fast after you show them the place and make sure that no other place smells of poo (yes, that's a valid concern). Our cats have picked up a very bad habit of leaving marks on one of the carpets when they think I've slacked on cleaning the litter box, so two boxes for two cats isn't a bad idea.

Taking them to the vet is a really good idea. If there's a big stray cat population in the area you might want to consider spaying them in case you can't take them in and no one else wants them. It's the least you can do to help them. Especially male cats live much longer when they're not constantly fighting with other males.

Be careful, your heart is at stake here. ;)

Spaying them sounds like a good idea. I don't know how much that costs around here, though. I should probably look into it.

How much time does taking care of your cats consume? That is, do you usually have to give them a lot of attention, or does it mainly just come down to cleaning up after them, putting food for them, etc.?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
How much time does taking care of your cats consume? That is, do you usually have to give them a lot of attention, or does it mainly just come down to cleaning up after them, putting food for them, etc.?
Both. You have to play with them, but they also have each other to play with so that's half the battle.

The worst part is furballs. :D

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
First of all you have a wonderful heart...(((HUGS))) those kittens are lucky you care..

2nd...

So, a few days ago, I found two stray kittens near my home. They are very small and appear pretty helpless, especially when it comes to getting food on their own. They don't run from people, and I saw that someone had left a bowl of milk for them. I suspect that they don't fear people because of being given food by them.

Cows milk is horrible for a cats gut..Its better than starving but could be part of their problems medically..its not nutritionally complete for them...same as we don't feed our newborns "cows milk' unless it "formulated" kittens aren't baby cows..:)

Last edited:

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
1. I don't know how I'd teach them to go to a proper place to urinate or defecate

2. If I take them to the vet and it turns out that either of them has a serious medical condition, I might not be able to afford their treatment, and I'd feel terrible if I had to kick them out because of that

Just show them the box and they will do the rest. Cats are easy!

I don't know if a vet would hold you to the payment if you're not the owner. You could contact a cat rescue. They usually do all of the vet work and neutering. If you did, it probably would be nice to give a little money toward the rescue vet fees. Just a little something.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

Put a litter box down..they will gravitate..cats instinctively want to **** and **** in dirt or the like..they want to be able to cover it up..Best bet? get two litter boxes..stick them in it ?they are "trained " in a day or two...get a scooper and keep it clean..(emptied of eliminations)

If either of them has a serious condition and you cant afford treatment? Have them put down..that is far more humane than kicking them out. I promise you that..

[QUOTEWhat I suspect one of them has are cataracts. He doesn't seem to be able to see clearly until things are very close to his eyes, and he's just pretty passive in general. I think he could have died by now if it hadn't been for people giving him food][/QUOTE]

He is too young (you said kittens?) to have cataracts..its most likely kitties herpes or chlamydia (don't worry you cant catch it) ..that infects their eyes and it is contagious cat to cat(loss of appetite the main concern with this)...he could also be allergic to the cows milk the nice people have been feeding him. Just like our infants will not strive very well on cows milk.they need 'formula" Cows milk is completely insuffiicient for their nutrition needs if they cant have mothers milk.....I would see a vet ..What I would do? Get them a good wet cat food (as high a meat count as possible grain free)))See a vet...get a litter box or two) they know where it is..

P.S do NOT let your vet give them a "shot' of antibiotics..if they need any (for eye infection etc) get oral antibiotics..Sounds like the one may have a virus.Antibiotics will not help but the vets give it anyway..Be wary if they want to give them a "shot" ..Eyes drops??fine ..oral antibiotics? fine..just not a "shot of antibiotics"

Last edited:

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
It depends on their personality and on how much room they have around them. Out-door cats find enough entertainment without much human interaction, but in-door cats get bored and you need to make sure they have enough toys they can safely channel their hunting instincts on. My cats are currently all crazy about a horse whip they love to chase through the air. It means I have to be there playing with them, but it's calmed them down somewhat from the mewing, all-destroying monsters they can turn into when you aren't looking (our window curtains are currently set up in a way that they come down and take the cat with them if they're climbed in, helps realize climbing in them is not a good game).

The wonderful thing with kittens is that if they get emotionally attached to you they're very easy to train. They'll accept the routines you teach them when they grow up, so you can teach them when you aren't happy with what they're doing (never underestimate this with kittens) and of course find a way to tell them how much you like being with them. Both of our cats have completely different ways of communicating with us, the other being super extrovert and the other super introvert. It took me a longer time to connect with the introvert one, but now she comes to look for company in my lap when she wants it - something our extrovert diva very rarely agrees to. She loves people, but she's even more into jumping up to high places and spend most of her days on top of our book shelves.

The Neo Nerd

I genuinely like cats.

They are affectionate, playful and inquisitive.

Don't worry about amusing a cat, they generally find something to amuse themselves (eg chasing there own tail). A laser pointer is the best cat toy.

I had a cat when i was a kid, it use to amuse itself by getting a plastic bag from the cupboard, running and jumping on it and sliding across the kitchen floor.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
All the cats we have were rescued cats. We took them to the vet, of course. A couple of them were shy at first and hid but they turned out to be very good pets. And all of them took to the cat box with no trouble.