• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tablet of the Branch

bahamut19

Let's study the Tablet of the Branch! In a different post, it was said that Unitarian Baha'is would not read this because of its implications. So... let's see what it says!

The Branch​

3 Say, the Sea of Eternity has branched out from this Greatest Ocean, so blessed are those who settle on its shore and become among the steadfast. And from the Sidrat al-Muntaha, this most resplendent, sacred temple has branched out as a branch of holiness. Congratulations to those who seek shade under its shadow and become among the tranquil ones.

4 Say, the branch of the Divine Command has grown from this firmly established root that Allah has anchored in the land of His Will, and its offshoot has risen to a station encompassing all existence. Exalted is He from this sublime, blessed, mighty, and impregnable creation. O people, draw near to it and taste from it the fruits of wisdom and knowledge from the presence of a Mighty, All-Knowing One. Whoever does not taste from it will be deprived of the blessings of Allah, even if they are provided with everything on earth, if you are among those who know.

5 Say, a word has been detailed from the Greatest Tablet by virtue of grace, and Allah has adorned it with the embroidery of His Own Self, making it a sovereign authority over all on earth and a sign of His greatness and omnipotence among the worlds. So that people may glorify their Mighty, All-Powerful, Wise Lord through it, and extol their Creator, and sanctify the Self of Allah, Who stands above all things. This is nothing but a revelation from the presence of the Ancient, All-Knowing One.

The Appearance of Allah​

6 Say, O people, be grateful to Allah for His appearance, for it is the greatest favor upon you and the most perfect blessing for you. With it, every decayed bone is revived. Whoever turns to it has turned to Allah, and whoever turns away from it has turned away from My beauty, denied My proof, and is among the extravagant. It is indeed the trust of Allah among you and His covenant within you, its appearance upon you, and its rise among His close servants. Thus, I was commanded to convey to you the message of Allah, your Creator, and I have delivered to you what I was commanded. Then, let Allah bear witness to that, followed by His angels, His messengers, and His sanctified servants.
--------------------
I believe, based on how Baha'u'llah has revealed other writings from God, that all of this is in reference to the Manifestation of God and no other person.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
And from the Sidrat al-Muntaha, this most resplendent, sacred temple has branched out as a branch of holiness.
From what I understand the "Sidrat al-Muntaha" refers to Baha'u'llah, the term literally means "the tree beyond there is no passing." The branch referred to here is one of His sons, which is unspecified here. Baha'u'llah always referred to His sons as "branches". That's why it is called the Tablet of the Branch, it refers to one of His sons. There is more to the Tablet than is here also, maybe not that important.

You are entitled to your opinion, though.

bahamut19

The Divine Lote Tree (Sadratu'l-Muntaha) has had a few meanings in the the writings of Baha'u'llah. I'll use the Suriy-i-Haykal to focus on this. In paragraph 69, He says "O dwellers of the earth! Would ye contend that if We raise up a soul unto the Sadratu’l-Muntahá, it shall then cease to be subject to the power of Our sovereignty and dominion?" Here the Divine Lote Tree is a destination, a heavenly destination. When the Lote Tree is being used as a symbol of a heavenly location, often times Baha'u'llah describes physical aspects of the Tree. In paragraph 130, "the Nightingale singeth upon the branches of the Divine Lote-Tree." or in paragraph 195 addressed to the Shah, Baha'u'llah says "O King! Wert thou to incline thine ear unto the shrill of the Pen of Glory and the cooing of the Dove of Eternity which, on the branches of the LoteTree beyond which there is no passing, uttereth praises to God..."

Now substitute the word "branches" with the word "Abdul-Baha." The Nightingale singeth upon the Abdul-Baha of the Divine Lote-Tree. Does this make sense? Or let's try this... "O King! .... the cooing of the Dove of Eternity which, on the Abdul-Baha of the Lote-Tree beyond which..." Does this make sense?

Now, you might say the sacred temple might refer to Abdul-Baha, as it branched from the Sadratu'l-Muntaha as a branch of holiness. Throughout the Suriy-i-Haykal, God is describing the attributes of the human Temple for this day, which is Baha'u'llah. The entire tablet describes how Baha'u'llah is the Temple mankind has been promised. In the Surih-i-Rais, the first paragraph says this "This Youth hath sought nothing from thee or from such as are like unto thee, inasmuch as from time immemorial, whenever the Manifestations of the All-Merciful and the Exponents of His unfading glory have stepped out of the Realm of eternity into this mortal world and revealed themselves to revive the dead, men such as thee have considered these sanctified Souls and Temples of Divine Oneness, upon Whom must needs depend the rehabilitation of the peoples of the earth, to be stirrers of mischief and worthy of blame." You see, in this case the Temples refer to all Manifestations of God.

The Suriy-i-Haykal also describes something else which has branched from the Most Great Ocean. In paragraph 152, the Law has branched out from the Most Great Ocean.

The Tablet of the Branch is describing Baha'u'llah, much like the Suriy-i-Haykal does 1 year later when it says in paragraph 63 "O Temple of Holiness!" Baha'u'llah is the greatest favor among you and the most perfect blessing. Whoever turns to Baha'u'llah has turned to God, and whoever turns away from Baha'u'llah has turned away from God's Beauty.

From the writings of Baha'u'llah, why might anyone believe these references refer to Abdul-Baha?

The only times Baha'u'llah referred to his sons as The Most Great Branch (Abdul-Baha), Greater Branch (Mirza Muhammad Ali), and the Purest Branch (Mirza Mihdi). Was there any other context where Abdul-Baha was mentioned in the language used in the Tablet of the Branch?

Truthseeker

And from the Sidrat al-Muntaha, this most resplendent, sacred temple has branched out as a branch of holiness.
That's very interesting. You certainly are learned. But the above Sidrat al-Muntaha doesn't appear to be destination in context to me. It could be a heavenly location branching out to a branch of holiness, but that looks a little awkward.

Temples can mean different things in different contexts. You are trying to prove from other Tablets that this couldn't refer to Abdu'l-Baha. You suggested a different meaning of branch from the Sidrat al-Muntaha. Here's what I found translated:
Know ye of a certainty that the Dispensations of the past have attained their highest, their final consummation in the Law that hath branched out from this Most Great Ocean.
Bahá’u’lláh, "Summons of the Lord of Hosts"

I don't think the Most Great Ocean refers to the Sidrat al-Muntaha. My interpretation is that the Most Great Ocean refers the Holy Spirit that emanates from or through Baha'u'llah. However, I don't know what the original Arabic words were. If it does refer to the Sidrat al-Muntaha that doesn't prove that there couldn't another meaning to something branching out from the Sidrat al-Muntaha in another Tablet.

I will quote to you the Tablet of the Land of Ba:

PRAISE be to Him Who hath honoured the Land of Ba [1] through the presence of Him round Whom all names revolve. All the atoms of the earth have announced unto all created things that from behind the gate of the Prison-city there hath appeared and above its horizon there hath shone forth the Orb of the beauty of the great, the Most Mighty Branch of God -- His ancient and immutable Mystery -- proceeding on its way to another land. Sorrow, thereby, hath enveloped this Prison-city, whilst another land rejoiceth. Exalted, immeasurably exalted is our Lord, the Fashioner of the heavens and the Creator of all things, He through Whose sovereignty the doors of the prison were opened, thereby causing what was promised aforetime in the Tablets to be fulfilled. He is verily potent over what He willeth, and in His grasp is the dominion of the entire creation. He is the All-Powerful, the All-Knowing, the All-Wise.

Blessed, doubly blessed, is the ground which His footsteps have trodden, the eye that hath been cheered by the beauty of His countenance, the ear that hath been honoured by hearkening to His call, the heart that hath tasted the sweetness of His love, the breast that hath dilated through His remembrance, the pen that hath voiced His praise, the scroll that hath borne the testimony of His writings. We beseech God -- blessed and exalted be He -- that He may honour us with meeting Him soon. He is, in truth, the All-Hearing, the All-Powerful, He Who is ready to answer.
(Baha'u'llah, Tablets of Baha'u'llah, p. 227)

This is undeniably referring to Abdu'l-Baha. Phrases like "Him round Whom all names revolve", "Sorrow, thereby, hath enveloped this Prison-city, whilst another land rejoiceth.", and finally the last paragraph "Blessed, doubly blessed, is the ground which His footsteps have trodden, the eye that hath been cheered by the beauty of His countenance, the ear that hath been honoured by hearkening to His call, the heart that hath tasted the sweetness of His love, the breast that hath dilated through His remembrance, the pen that hath voiced His praise, the scroll that hath borne the testimony of His writings. We beseech God -- blessed and exalted be He -- that He may honour us with meeting Him soon. He is, in truth, the All-Hearing, the All-Powerful, He Who is ready to answer."

All of these testify to the exalted station of Abdu'l-Baha. I won't spell out what I think these phrases mean, you can judge for yourself. You would have to prove your points from the Tablet of the Branch, not just point other possible meanings to move me from from my high regard of Abdu'l-Baha in light of the Tablet of the Land of Ba.

bahamut19

Know ye of a certainty that the Dispensations of the past have attained their highest, their final consummation in the Law that hath branched out from this Most Great Ocean.
Bahá’u’lláh, "Summons of the Lord of Hosts"

I don't think the Most Great Ocean refers to the Sidrat al-Muntaha.
I wasn't saying the Most Great Ocean was the Sidrat al-Muntaha. I was just wanting to refer to the various things which branched from various entities.

My interpretation is that the Most Great Ocean refers the Holy Spirit that emanates from or through Baha'u'llah. However, I don't know what the original Arabic words were. If it does refer to the Sidrat al-Muntaha that doesn't prove that there couldn't another meaning to something branching out from the Sidrat al-Muntaha in another Tablet.
I believe this could be about the Holy Spirit, or even God.

I will quote to you the Tablet of the Land of Ba:

PRAISE be to Him Who hath honoured the Land of Ba [1] through the presence of Him round Whom all names revolve. All the atoms of the earth have announced unto all created things that from behind the gate of the Prison-city there hath appeared and above its horizon there hath shone forth the Orb of the beauty of the great, the Most Mighty Branch of God -- His ancient and immutable Mystery -- proceeding on its way to another land. Sorrow, thereby, hath enveloped this Prison-city, whilst another land rejoiceth. Exalted, immeasurably exalted is our Lord, the Fashioner of the heavens and the Creator of all things, He through Whose sovereignty the doors of the prison were opened, thereby causing what was promised aforetime in the Tablets to be fulfilled. He is verily potent over what He willeth, and in His grasp is the dominion of the entire creation. He is the All-Powerful, the All-Knowing, the All-Wise.

Blessed, doubly blessed, is the ground which His footsteps have trodden, the eye that hath been cheered by the beauty of His countenance, the ear that hath been honoured by hearkening to His call, the heart that hath tasted the sweetness of His love, the breast that hath dilated through His remembrance, the pen that hath voiced His praise, the scroll that hath borne the testimony of His writings. We beseech God -- blessed and exalted be He -- that He may honour us with meeting Him soon. He is, in truth, the All-Hearing, the All-Powerful, He Who is ready to answer.
(Baha'u'llah, Tablets of Baha'u'llah, p. 227)
In the Kitab-i-Ahd, the Arabic phrase used is "Ghusn-i-Azam." In the Lawh-i-Ard-i-Ba, the phrase is "Ghusn-i-Azam-i-Illahi." Notice that the latter means the Greatest Branch of God. Was Abdul-Baha directly branched from God, or was it the Manifestation? From whom or what did Abdul-Baha branch from? The next line says "ancient" Mystery. How was Abdul-Baha ancient?

This is undeniably referring to Abdu'l-Baha. Phrases like "Him round Whom all names revolve", "Sorrow, thereby, hath enveloped this Prison-city, whilst another land rejoiceth.", and finally the last paragraph "Blessed, doubly blessed, is the ground which His footsteps have trodden, the eye that hath been cheered by the beauty of His countenance, the ear that hath been honoured by hearkening to His call, the heart that hath tasted the sweetness of His love, the breast that hath dilated through His remembrance, the pen that hath voiced His praise, the scroll that hath borne the testimony of His writings. We beseech God -- blessed and exalted be He -- that He may honour us with meeting Him soon. He is, in truth, the All-Hearing, the All-Powerful, He Who is ready to answer."

All of these testify to the exalted station of Abdu'l-Baha. I won't spell out what I think these phrases mean, you can judge for yourself. You would have to prove your points from the Tablet of the Branch, not just point other possible meanings to move me from from my high regard of Abdu'l-Baha in light of the Tablet of the Land of Ba.
You are saying all names revolve around Abdul-Baha? This is also an honor given to the Bab and Baha'u'llah. To me, it feels as if you believe Abdul-Baha is a Manifestation of God.

As we are studying the Tablet of the Branch, do the words "Ghusn-i-Azam" occur anywhere in it?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
In the Kitab-i-Ahd, the Arabic phrase used is "Ghusn-i-Azam." In the Lawh-i-Ard-i-Ba, the phrase is "Ghusn-i-Azam-i-Illahi." Notice that the latter means the Greatest Branch of God. Was Abdul-Baha directly branched from God, or was it the Manifestation? From whom or what did Abdul-Baha branch from? The next line says "ancient" Mystery. How was Abdul-Baha ancient?
I see God is above all attributes and names.

The way I am currently seeing it, is that all the Names and Attributes are the Manifestations of God, the first and the last, the beginning and the end, the alpha and Omega, they One and all are the 'Self of God' given to humamity in every age. They are all we can know of God as all access beyond them is forbidden.

They are the tree of Life beyond which there is no passing. Thus any branch is from the tree, the Messengers are not branches.

"..The 'Tree beyond which there is no passing'. Originally the tree which, in ancient times, the Arabs planted to mark the end of a road. In the Bahá'í Writings, a symbol of the Manifestation of God, the 'Tree beyond which neither men nor angels can pass'; specifically, Bahá'u'lláh. Sometimes called the Divine or Sacred Lote Tree. 'Twin Lote Trees': the Báb and Bahá'u'lláh."...."

Baha’u’llah refers to the Bab as:

"... the “Essence of Essences”, the “Sea of Seas”, the “Point round Whom the realities of the Prophets and Messengers revolve”, Him “from Whom God hath caused to proceed the knowledge of all that was and shall be”, He Whose “rank excelleth that of all the Prophets”, and Whose “Revelation transcendeth the comprehension and understanding of all their chosen ones”.

God Passes By, pp 40-41

So the way I see it, what Baha'u'llah said about Abdul-Baha is a mystery we are yet to unravel.

One could then consider, that Abdul-Baha being the perfect Servant of the Messengers, there is no reason that all the Names do not circle around the Station of Abdul'baha, "Servant of Baha".

You are saying all names revolve around Abdul-Baha? This is also an honor given to the Bab and Baha'u'llah. To me, it feels as if you believe Abdul-Baha is a Manifestation of God.

As we are studying the Tablet of the Branch, do the words "Ghusn-i-Azam" occur anywhere in it?

We did not say it, Baha'u'llah did, all we can do is try to understand a Revelation far beyond our capacity, yet Abdul-Baha was our example, the perfect Human. When I say that, remember the Manifestations are pre-existing, born of the Holy Spirit, Abdul-Baha was born of the Human Spirit as a gift to humanity.

Abdul-Baha was the first to recognise and submit to the station of his father, the first to serve him, the example of total submission in the Word given of God via the Messengers. A proof that we too can become true servants.

Regards Tony

bahamut19

The way I am currently seeing it, is that all the Names and Attributes are the Manifestations of God, the first and the last, the beginning and the end, the alpha and Omega, they One and all are the 'Self of God' given to humamity in every age. They are all we can know of God as all access beyond them is forbidden.

They are the tree of Life beyond which there is no passing. Thus any branch is from the tree, the Messengers are not branches.

"..The 'Tree beyond which there is no passing'. Originally the tree which, in ancient times, the Arabs planted to mark the end of a road. In the Bahá'í Writings, a symbol of the Manifestation of God, the 'Tree beyond which neither men nor angels can pass'; specifically, Bahá'u'lláh. Sometimes called the Divine or Sacred Lote Tree. 'Twin Lote Trees': the Báb and Bahá'u'lláh."...."

"... the “Essence of Essences”, the “Sea of Seas”, the “Point round Whom the realities of the Prophets and Messengers revolve”, Him “from Whom God hath caused to proceed the knowledge of all that was and shall be”, He Whose “rank excelleth that of all the Prophets”, and Whose “Revelation transcendeth the comprehension and understanding of all their chosen ones”.

God Passes By, pp 40-41

So the way I see it, what Baha'u'llah said about Abdul-Baha is a mystery we are yet to unravel.

One could then consider, that Abdul-Baha being the perfect Servant of the Messengers, there is no reason that all the Names do not circle around the Station of Abdul'baha, "Servant of Baha".

We did not say it, Baha'u'llah did, all we can do is try to understand a Revelation far beyond our capacity, yet Abdul-Baha was our example, the perfect Human. When I say that, remember the Manifestations are pre-existing, born of the Holy Spirit, Abdul-Baha was born of the Human Spirit as a gift to humanity.

Abdul-Baha was the first to recognise and submit to the station of his father, the first to serve him, the example of total submission in the Word given of God via the Messengers. A proof that we too can become true servants.

Regards Tony
Wow.... just wow. I can't believe people who say they believe in Baha'u'llah have turned Abdul-Baha into the Christian Jesus. I guess that is the path the Haifan Baha'i Faith is on... its not the religion of God through BAha'u'llah.. but its a group dedicated to the worship and praise of Abdul-Baha and his teachings. The Baha'i centers have Abdul-Baha's image... they will pray to him... treat his words as revelation. I get it now. Abdul-Baha is the Messiah of the UHJ and their faith, and the name of the God is "the Covenant."

My position is Abdul-Baha is a normal person like anyone else. And the Tablet of the Branch is about Baha'u'llah. Deifying Abdul-Baha is an act of polytheism and goes against the very core of Baha'u'llah's teachings.

You didn't answer the question...

bahamut19

I just realized we aren't arguing the Tablet of the Branch. The UHJ Baha'i people who respond are arguing Section 9 of Ruhi Book 8a. Every single thing they say is from this section.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Wow.... just wow. I can't believe people who say they believe in Baha'u'llah have turned Abdul-Baha into the Christian Jesus. I guess that is the path the Haifan Baha'i Faith is on... its not the religion of God through BAha'u'llah.. but its a group dedicated to the worship and praise of Abdul-Baha and his teachings. The Baha'i centers have Abdul-Baha's image... they will pray to him... treat his words as revelation. I get it now. Abdul-Baha is the Messiah of the UHJ and their faith, and the name of the God is "the Covenant."

My position is Abdul-Baha is a normal person like anyone else. And the Tablet of the Branch is about Baha'u'llah. Deifying Abdul-Baha is an act of polytheism and goes against the very core of Baha'u'llah's teachings.

You didn't answer the question...

I have no more input, it will be pointless.

May God grant me power over my own self.

Regards Tony

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Wow.... just wow. I can't believe people who say they believe in Baha'u'llah have turned Abdul-Baha into the Christian Jesus.
Yes, that is what Baha'is have done. They relate to Abdu'l-Baha as if he was on par with Jesus and Baha''u'llah.
This is not something that can be changed, the beliefs and emotional attachment to Abdu'l-Baha are too deeply embedded.

What does that tell you when the Baha'is build a shrine to Abdu'l-Baha? I don't think Abdu'l-Baha wanted to be worshiped the way Baha'is worship him.

bahamut19

Yes, that is what Baha'is have done. They relate to Abdu'l-Baha as if he was on par with Jesus and Baha''u'llah.
This is not something that can be changed, the beliefs and emotional attachment to Abdu'l-Baha are too deeply embedded.

What does that tell you when the Baha'is build a shrine to Abdu'l-Baha? I don't think Abdu'l-Baha wanted to be worshiped the way Baha'is worship him.
I do wonder how this came to be. When reading the first issues of the Star of the West, I feel a few forces were happening. One of these forces was the desire of North American believers, who all used to be Christian, to receive new teachings of Baha'u'llah and to be guided by God. These prior Christians believed that God was on Earth, and the Messianic Kingdom was to be established. Abdul-Baha catered to this fervor as this support would mean financial resources would flow into the Holy Land. Within these first issues, you can see much effort was being spent to translate writings to English, to inspire actions in North American cities, to inspire giving, and to solidify the concept of the Covenant with Abdul-Baha being the center. Charles Mason Remey was a large proponent of this ideology, helping spread the teaching that every reference to "branch" only referred to Abdul-Baha. Wherever Remey went, influxes of money came in. By the time Abdul-Baha passed away, the Western believers were the primary force in creating this mystique of Abdul-Baha, and this was a force the early Baha'is, to include Baha'u'llah's family, highly resisted.

The other force which I believe heavily influenced Abdul-Baha was a favoritism towards his own mother and siblings which came from her. I do not believe Abdul-Baha ever emotionally or morally supported the fact his Father had other wives, had children from those wives, and due to this, there was always a sense of conflict and pressure between his half-siblings. There isn't much literature describing this, and unfortunately most Baha'i Faith literature is incapable of academically looking into the entirety of who Abdul-Baha was. But, we can see when given the opportunity, he took Baha'u'llah's ruling of bigamy in the Aqdas and turned it to monogamy only. This is one of many times Abdul-Baha ruled against what his Father taught, despite Baha'u'llah being the Manifestation of God. He did this with his own personal views in his heart, saying a husband cannot ever possibly do justice to two women. Abdul-Baha must have believed Baha'u'llah's polygamy was an injustice to his own mother.

It would not be a reach for Abdul-Baha to place himself as a Manifestation, even if he would not publicly claim this position. He removed those who challenged his increasingly lofty claims in personage and authority, would only accept translations or excerpts which could be used to support these claims, and in his will, again went against what Baha'u'llah had wished by creating the institution of Guardian and having Shoghi Effendi lead. He knew Shoghi would continue placing Abdul-Baha in the Messianic role, and the religion of Abdul-Baha could grow and consolidate power.

bahamut19

The way I am currently seeing it, is that all the Names and Attributes are the Manifestations of God,

With this teaching, that Abdul-Baha is so perfect, all the names of the Manifestations of God circle around Abdul-Baha. This would actually place Abdul-Baha on a level higher than the Manifestations.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
With this teaching, that Abdul-Baha is so perfect, all the names of the Manifestations of God circle around Abdul-Baha. This would actually place Abdul-Baha on a level higher than the Manifestations.
Instead of making such remarks, you could try to discuss. I do not see it is intended in the light of your reply and was cautious as to the way I offered it, so look again.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

God Passes By, pp 40-41

Regards Tony

Instead of making such remarks, you could try to discuss. I do not see it is intended in the light of your reply and was cautious as to the way I offered it, so look again.

Regards Tony
There it all is to read again.

Regards Tony

Truthseeker

Súriy-i-Ghuṣn
(Tablet of the Branch)

Strive, O people, to enter beneath the sheltering shadow of the Word of God. Quaff, then, from it the choice wine of inner meaning and explanation, for it is the repository of the living waters of the All-Glorious and hath appeared from the horizon of the Will of the All-Merciful with matchless splendour. Say: Out of this Most Great Ocean there hath branched the Pre-existent Sea; blessed the one that hath attained and found repose upon its shores.

There hath branched from the Sadratu’l-Muntahá this sacred and glorious Being, this Branch of Holiness; well is it with him that hath sought His shelter and abideth beneath His shadow. Verily the Limb of the Law of God hath sprung forth from this Root which God hath firmly implanted in the Ground of His Will, and Whose Branch hath been so uplifted as to encompass the whole of creation. Magnified be He, therefore, for this sublime, this blessed, this mighty, this exalted Handiwork! Draw nigh unto Him, O people, and taste the fruits of wisdom and knowledge that have proceeded from Him Who is the Almighty, the All-Knowing. Whoso hath failed to taste thereof is deprived of God’s bounty, though he partake of all that the earth can produce, could ye but perceive it!
Bahá’u’lláh, "Days of Remembrance", 29.3

The Pre-existent Sea is Baha'u'llah. Abdu'l-Baha is not pre-existent. As Abdu'l-Baha was the son of Baha'u'llah He was a branch of Baha'u'llah.

A little different translation that we have.

To me Baha'u'llah being the Pre-existent Sea branched from the Most Great Ocean means that He didn't reveal everything from the Most Great Ocean.

Truthseeker

It means that Abdu'l-Baha was a perfect exemplar of the Baha'i Teachings. Here's what Shoghi Effendi said about Abdu'l-Baha:

He is, and should for all time be regarded, first and foremost, as the Center and Pivot of Bahá'u'lláh's peerless and all-enfolding Covenant, His most exalted handiwork, the stainless Mirror of His light, the perfect Exemplar of His teachings, the unerring Interpreter of His Word, the embodiment of every Bahá'í ideal, the incarnation of every Bahá'í virtue, the Most Mighty Branch sprung from the Ancient Root, the Limb of the Law of God, the Being "round Whom all names revolve," the Mainspring of the Oneness of Humanity, the Ensign of the Most Great Peace, the Moon of the Central Orb of this most holy Dispensation -- styles and titles that are implicit and find their truest, their highest and fairest expression in the magic name 'Abdu'l-Bahá. He is, above and beyond these appellations, the "Mystery of God" -- an expression by which Bahá'u'lláh Himself has chosen to designate Him, and which, while it does not by any means justify us to assign to Him the station of Prophethood, indicates how in the person of 'Abdu'l-Bahá the incompatible characteristics of a human nature and superhuman knowledge and perfection have been blended and are completely harmonized.
(Shoghi Effendi, The World Order of Baha'u'llah, p. 13)

Truthseeker

He is not on a par with Jesus and Baha'u'llah according to Shoghi Effendi:

He is, above and beyond these appellations, the "Mystery of God" -- an expression by which Bahá'u'lláh Himself has chosen to designate Him, and which, while it does not by any means justify us to assign to Him the station of Prophethood, indicates how in the person of 'Abdu'l-Bahá the incompatible characteristics of a human nature and superhuman knowledge and perfection have been blended and are completely harmonized.
(Shoghi Effendi, The World Order of Baha'u'llah, p. 13)
The individual interpretation on this by different Baha'is doesn't matter to God. Not yours nor mine. We are free to understand this for ourselves.

bahamut19

I get it.. "branch" must mean a child of Baha'u'llah according to UHJ Baha'is since they were told this by their infallible leaders after Baha'u'llah. Since this was written in 1868, why specifically does it describe Abdul-Baha? It does not say "Ghusn-i-Azam' which means Greatest Branch. You can see in the Kitab-i-Ahd (Book of the Covenant) that Mirza Muhammad Ali was also called a Branch, in 1891. If the Tablet of the Branch must be describing a branch (male child) of Baha'u'llah, what about this tablet specifically points to Abdul-Baha instead of Mirza Muhammad Ali? Couldn't it also be about the Purest Branch? You can't use Abdul-Baha as your source... if you can, use the writings of Baha'u'llah as we each believe in Baha'u'llah as being an infallible Manifestation of God.

Last edited: