• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Switzerland - who knew - Question

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
I was just told my ridiculous desire to return to Norway for vacation was a dumb idea and would NOT be brought before the board for discussion....ok....it wasn't exactly like that...it was more like Mrs Wu wants to go to Switzerland and she has the littlest Wu on her side, so my one vote compared to the littlest Wu's one vote and Mrs Wu's 5 votes...well it was a decisive loss for my team..... we are not going until 2020 so I have time to mount a counter campaign.....which will likely fail...but at least it gives me something to do.

My question is about language.

I learned German in college and I am far from fluent..... I can say hello, goodbye and order a beer and that is about it...well...except for a few off color phrases I likely should not use.

Would it be beneficial to be able to speak some German in Switzerland?

I realize there is a Swiss German which is different and changeable depending on region. but would actual German help?

Or is it more like Norway where 95% of the people there speak better English than most folks in the USA?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
In German-speaking Cantons, any Swiss can speak German.
Schwyzerduetsch is their first language...and it really sounds almost incomprehensible to me.

Btw...most Swiss people can speak English...some very well.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Switzerland has three languages: German, French, and Italian. And most speak all three well enough, plus many also know English and/or another language or two...invest in one of those language-learning software packages...

Kirran

Premium Member
You don't wanna learn Romansh? :O

But yeah, I know quite a few Swiss people, and totally they 99.99% speak German as well as Swiss German. Although masses also know English very well. Not quite as much as in Scandinavia, but like in Germany.

Wu Wei

It has been years since I studied German, but I do remember there are 6 tenses for virtually every verb and that there is a major difference in which ones you use based on familiarity with the person you are talking to. Now my German teacher was an old German guy who was born in Berlin and was living there at the end of WW II and he was very big on formal and informal ways of speaking (du vs Sie), and to be honest I am not sure modern Germany is as hung up on it, but I would not be surprised if it were.

Is this also important in Switzerland?

Kirran

Premium Member
It has been years since I studied German, but I do remember there are 6 tenses for virtually every verb and that there is a major difference in which ones you use based on familiarity with the person you are talking to. Now my German teacher was an old German guy who was born in Berlin and was living there at the end of WW II and he was very big on formal and informal ways of speaking (du vs Sie), and to be honest I am not sure modern Germany is as hung up on it, but I would not be surprised if it were.

Kinda, yeah. If in doubt, use Sie. If someone older than you, always use Sie. Even with adults who are younger than you, go with Sie if in any doubt.

If you know the person, then you can use 'du', especially if they're younger than you.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

My German is terrible - it's the only course I failed in college. But I remember there is a familiar and a formal "du" vs "sie". The one part of German I found interesting were the rules about which verb came where at the end of the sentence. So now the extent of my knowledge of German you know.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I've been to Switzerland and although it's good to be able to speak the native language and also respectful many speak English, I also found French was spoken too.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Just remember that everyone understand English. That is if you speak it loudly enough and slowly enough, preferably with a southern accent.

Have fun!

Flankerl

I learned German in college and I am far from fluent..... I can say hello, goodbye and order a beer and that is about it...well...except for a few off color phrases I likely should not use.

Would it be beneficial to be able to speak some German in Switzerland?

Depends where you want to go.

I realize there is a Swiss German which is different and changeable depending on region. but would actual German help?

German in Germany and Austria is also different and changeable depending on the region. Tourists never experience that because they never leave Berlin, München or Wien.

But yes many Swiss speak German. Just be a tourist and they will realise that you don't understand Allemannic.

Or is it more like Norway where 95% of the people there speak better English than most folks in the USA?

50/50

and to be honest I am not sure modern Germany is as hung up on it, but I would not be surprised if it were.

Yes it still is.
It has also less to do with formality, it's just how the language works.

Wu Wei

Where in Switzerland do you reckon you'll go, @Wu Wei?

not 100% sure at this point, Zurich, Bern, Lucerne all have been mentioned. I’m just going where I am told to carry luggage…. I voted Bergen Norway…..and was summarily told to shut my pie hole…I’m going to Switzerland :D

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
not 100% sure at this point, Zurich, Bern, Lucerne all have been mentioned. I’m just going where I am told to carry luggage…. I voted Bergen Norway…..and was summarily told to shut my pie hole…I’m going to Switzerland :D
Perhaps it is just as well. Lutefisk and a bear's digestive tract might be deadlier than sarin gas.

Wu Wei

Perhaps it is just as well. Lutefisk and a bear's digestive tract might be deadlier than sarin gas.

Possibly, but the Bergen fish market, to a bear, is like a kid in a candy store. Although, I will admit, if you are a recovering cheese addict such as myself, Bergen breakfast buffets are a dangerous place to be.

Kirran

Premium Member

Only place I've ever stayed in Switzerland has been an ashram in Graubunden. So possibly unhelpful. But I know a lot of Swissies if you wanna air any questions :)

Wu Wei

Only place I've ever stayed in Switzerland has been an ashram in Graubunden. So possibly unhelpful. But I know a lot of Swissies if you wanna air any questions :)

Thank You
The trip will likely be in 2020 and I am sure the closer I get to that date the more questions I will have

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Just remember that everyone understand English. That is if you speak it loudly enough and slowly enough, preferably with a southern accent.

Have fun!

ROFLMAO. During the summer when parts of the Dordogne are inundated with American (and japanise) tourists this happens often. This very morning i was sitting with coffee and a pastry. Actually a new york accent broke the peace emanating from the pharmacy across the road. I dont know what the woman wanted but she was loud about it

ChristineM

Premium Member

Its a long way to only visit one country. Suggest half in Switzerland and a short (few hours) train ride away is Norway.

Worth a try anyway.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
ROFLMAO. During the summer when parts of the Dordogne are inundated with American (and japanise) tourists this happens often. This very morning i was sitting with coffee and a pastry. Actually a new york accent broke the peace emanating from the pharmacy across the road. I dont know what the woman wanted but she was loud about it
There was a James Bond movie with Roger Moore that first made me realize that this occurred all to often. Truth in fiction.

ChristineM

Premium Member
There was a James Bond movie with Roger Moore that first made me realize that this occurred all to often. Truth in fiction.

Sarlat is a beautiful mediaeval town, a tourist magnet. And my local shopping centre, hairdressers and a wonderful twice weekly market.

I see the stereotypical loudmouth American often enough. Especially during the Saturday market. The french stall holders play them for fun. It makes great people watching entertainment.