• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sweden still takes pride in its Norse heritage?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd say so. Here is the Wiki article on Djurgårdsbron, "The Djurgården Bridge". What's remarkable?

Featured on the bridge standing on tall granitecolumns are four Old Norse gods, sculpted by Rold Adlersparre: Heimdall blowing in his Gjallarhorn; Odin's wife Frigg holding a rod; Freyja with a falcon(one of her guises) in her hand; and Thor with his hammer Mjolnir resting on his shoulder.

I think this is pretty cool. :)

Djurg%C3%A5rdsbron_070610_Freyja.JPG

kvesv0428s.jpg
-visit_to_Djurg_rden_Bridg-20000000002860589-375x500.jpg
kvesv0615s.jpg

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Yep, taking back the old religions, though generally "reconstructionist" because Christianity destroyed everything they could.

Asatru became legally recognized in Sweden in 2007.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
That's awesome! Great statues ^_^. Now we need to get Asatru recognized legally in the US >_<.

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
I studied in Swedish for many years, and the old Scandinavian beliefs were still very prominently present in the education. The school library had books on what Viking everyday life was like, and we were taught about the gods and the other Viking myths as part of literature classes. I've always viewed them as an important part of my cultural heritage, and I have the feeling I'm not alone with that.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
The US Military recognizes it. :)

Does it really? Since when? Hmmmm

I can't find any document that mentions it.

EDIT: Only the US Air Force recognizes Asatru. Navy, Marines, Army, and Coast Guard do not.

Last edited:

Sees

Dragonslayer
I always wore a mjölnir while I was in the Marine Corps. Only thing I ever heard was that it was approved for gravestones some time back. I think I had my religion as "no religious preference" officially.

Only time we ever dealt with a chaplain was when setting up charity events anyways.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Here is the mjölnir from the VA website, I like it though not a personal favorite.

emb-55.jpg

Seems like they used this type for inspiration which has become fairly popular in the last 10 years or so.

4dd1ee886006803509b0a077f9e09f5c.jpg

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
The shape is nice, and while I like a little more detail, other religious symbols are pretty much just line shapes too. At least they didn't choose

historical-myths-you-believed-457313660-sep-4-2012-1-600x475.jpg

Or as Rose Nyland called them "Longenhurden". :D