• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Survey of religious attitudes: India

joe1776

The Pew have published a detailed survey on the religious beliefs in India. Lots of insight. Here is the detailed article. Thanks @Vinayaka for the original thread.
Religion in India: Tolerance and Segregation
We humans are making moral progress. Religious intolerance is waning world-wide; and that's a very good sign. But, in our effort to achieve global harmony, religions remain a major obstacle in our path since Religion's one undeniable achievement is it's ability to divide humanity into thousands of sects.

Our group is superior to theirs! This arrogant behavior satisfies our unconscious need to feel superior to others whether the group happens to be a religion, a nation, a race, or a tribe.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
The Pew have published a detailed survey on the religious beliefs in India. Lots of insight. Here is the detailed article. Thanks @Vinayaka for the original thread.
Very positive information about India and the people living there

Would be interesting to do a similar Pew research in other countries to see if there is a difference due to religion or not

Jeremiah Ames

We humans are making moral progress. Religious intolerance is waning world-wide; and that's a very good sign. But, in our effort to achieve global harmony, religions remain a major obstacle in our path since Religion's one undeniable achievement is it's ability to divide humanity into thousands of sects.

Our group is superior to theirs! This arrogant behavior satisfies our unconscious need to feel superior to others whether the group happens to be a religion, a nation, a race, or a tribe.

religious intolerance?

i was hoping that we were getting less tolerant of religion

danieldemol

Premium Member
What i wonder about is why these worldwide surveys are coming from Pew. Isn't Pew from the US? Don't Indians have the combination of statistical knowledge and curiosity concerning religion? If so why didn't this study originate in India?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What i wonder about is why these worldwide surveys are coming from Pew. Isn't Pew from the US? Don't Indians have the combination of statistical knowledge and curiosity concerning religion? If so why didn't this study originate in India?
We have all that. We are a secular nation. The government will not do any such survey. We are not supposed even to ask a person's religion even in Government papers (largely). Indians know what is happening around here, so they do not need any survey. Government does ask for castes, because the Affirmative Action Programs need it. Such aid is available to economically backward Muslims, Christians, Sikhs and Buddhists also as it is available for Hindus.

Last edited:

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Is this connected with what you read from the article?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Official survey departments make extensive surveys, but not on these topics. Non governmental loca survey groups do not have such resources.

danieldemol

Premium Member
The government will not do any such survey. We are not supposed even to ask a person's religion even in Government papers (largely).
I get why you wouldn't ask for a person's religion on official government papers, but it sure beats me why they don't conduct anonymous voluntary surveys the likes of what Pew did for the purpose of gathering statistics.

Perhaps it is because as @sayak83 says the NGOs don't have the resources, but India has a larger population than the US. I dont know what the combined wealth of Indians is like compared to the combined wealth of the US, but if it is large enough and Indians have the curiosity about these things one would imagine they are capable of funding indian organisations similar to Pew if they don't trust their government to conduct anonymous surveys.

But now that Pew has done it i guess there is no need to do it again for the time being.
I'm mainly thinking about in the future when it comes time to update these surveys.

In my opinion.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
According to the Constitution of India, the government can ask only secular questions in any survey. And our Supreme Court is very strict about it. If there is a communal flareup, not uncommon in India, the media will not mention the names of the religions or how many of each were injured or died. That will be against law.