• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Supreme Gods Rarely Depicted

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
We're talking about cats here, are you sure you're not starting off too ambitious?
I think it's easier to cause a thunderstorm by throwing a hammer around than to get cats to pull a chariot for you!

Between my 4 cats and @JustGeorge 10. We have a an Iditarod crew of cats. Come on. I'm sure it will go somewhere.

RestlessSoul

No, I mean like Greek Gods, who engage in bizarre tiffs, but then you have other Gods who don't seem to care much either way.

The Greek Gods are very human, and appear to embody all the character flaws of humans. But in Plato’s Republic, Socrates - in pursuit of a logical argument - refers to God (not Zeus) as the embodiment of virtue. He draws a distinction between “God and the divine nature [who] are in every way perfect”, and the gods portrayed by Aeschylus and Homer who deceive and manipulate humans through magic. He is very dismissive of the latter and respectful of the former.

This makes me wonder to what extent the religion of classical Greece in general, and Athens in particular, is misrepresented in our modern popular culture.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The Greek Gods are very human, and appear to embody all the character flaws of humans. But in Plato’s Republic, Socrates - in pursuit of a logical argument - refers to God (not Zeus) as the embodiment of virtue. He draws a distinction between “God and the divine nature [who] are in every way perfect”, and the gods portrayed by Aeschylus and Homer who deceive and manipulate humans through magic. He is very dismissive of the latter and respectful of the former.

This makes me wonder to what extent the religion of classical Greece in general, and Athens in particular, is misrepresented in our modern popular culture.
I think there's a sharp difference between the gods of the philosophers and the gods of everyone else. Plato wanted to throw out the poets because of their suspicious tales, iirc, in Politeia. It's a while since I read it.

Last edited:

rational experiences

Veteran Member
As a human thinking. I am dominion presence stated as myself ...a human. The thinking human. Highest dominion supreme. A man.

As no one else is the storyteller.

I don't pretend anything else is higher first. I am the thinker.

I live and I think.

Then comes I want. The theist man men liar Satanists. Science of man historians.

Liars.

Who want supreme energy out of energy. So think what supreme dominion status can I cause to abstract energy from energy.

First I say energy is constant. As mass. Supreme deity is held mass.

As light is gas burning removal taking energy into destruction. I can't own nor hold the I want energy in light.

So I named supreme human deity the earth.

As I can dig up its mass. As dominion man I apply my machine to take destroy energy to get energy. By my personal man's God means. The machine.

So my Ai God is more powerful than the God of mass.

As energy isn't constant by my own man of God science practice as supreme deity position I am energies destroyer. So now my mind is self possessed that I am the greatest God.

As it's my mind direct equals I get energy. So I now pretend I personally physically obtained energy. Ignoring how I accessed it.

All of my man's old and modern science stories depict my self idolisation.

So I warned everyone of my science of man's ego destroyer.

As a man my life biology in supreme heavens got life cell blood sacrificed.

I said from adult man to my baby self man son. I only owned a man's life given back to me by a dead man's body. I was gifted a man's life by my human mother's ovary.

Yet old man's life body I inherit. To exact my biologies position to stop mind lying as the scientist.

Which became a mis taught story as human men self idolise being a man as the theist.

Exactly warned still today by my human stories I seek my self deification again. I make up all the stories as it's part of man's con as a scientist.

joelr

I am reading a paper about Ancient Egyptian religion and I came across this:

In contrast, even the most cursory examination of the many world religions, past and present, major or small-scale, refutes any notion that divinity, particularly cosmic or supreme divinity, is always embodied in some material form. For the Nuer, their highest divinity, Kwoth Nhial, is only suggested by the majestic spread of the horns of the ox. The Nuer are very careful to distinguish between a divine cosmic power which is suggested rather than embodied or represented by the ox horns, and a lesser power which takes tangible form. Kwoth Nhial is non-locatable – too ubiquitous and too powerful to be constrained by material form. For the Nuer, only the "spirits of the below", the totems, and fetishes take on a material aspect. The "spirits of the above" have a remote and omnipresent quality which cannot be "trapped" within localised and limited forms. African tribal people, in particular, are loath to embody their higher deities in material form.

Despite the rich iconography of African religion, these icons are invariably representations of ancestors, spirits, and demons rather than supreme divinities. In fact, John S. Mbiti (1969) in his exposition of African religions implicitly responded to the common prejudice of African "idol" worship with the statement, "... no idols have been reported in African traditional societies" (Mbiti 1969: 71). Yet non-represented deities are often mentally conceived as anthropomorphic and mediated by human agents such as "priests, rainmakers, elders, diviners, medicine-men, Kings, chiefs and the living dead" (ibid 71).

[...]

Aside from being too powerful or omnipresent, the cosmic deities are often conceived as being too remote to warrant representation. In the case of Sumerian Mesopotamia, among the most frequently represented deities on cylinder seals are Inanna and Enki. Both are far from supreme, but both take an active role in the activities of humankind. Inanna (later as Ishtar) performs an annual sacred marriage with the king in order to ensure agricultural fecundity. Enki is famous for his interventions on behalf of humankind when a higher god, Enlil, threatens to destroy it. But the most supreme deity of all, An, is rarely depicted, rarely petitioned, and features in myths infrequently.56

[...]

Purely anthropomorphic forms are particularly avoided, even though worshippers might mentally conceive these deities in human terms and approach them, through mediation, as superior human-like beings. Only in centralised, state-based religions does iconography of higher deities tend to become important, as in the case of the sedentary, centrally-ruled Shilluk culture of the Sudan. The following section applies these observations to specific Egyptian deities, especially Osiris.

SOURCE07.pdf (une.edu.au)

This is not dissimilar to something I wrote before on RF, that generally the 'Sky Father' is too high and holy to be depicted, and in polytheistic systems many of those that become Gods start off as what we'd now call spirits - water spirits, spirits of the dead, etc. and are not seen as Gods in the way we now understand this word.

This is a common apologetic in Christianity. It isn't true.
Yahweh started out as a warrior deity as well. In Exodus he fought a sea monster.
The theme Yahweh-is-a-Warrior is present in all sections of the canonóTorah, Prophets,

and Writings:

Exodus 15:3:

Yahweh is a man of war;

Yahweh is his name.

Isaiah 42:13:

Yahweh goes forth like a mighty man;

like a man of war(s) he stirs up his fury.

Zephaniah 3:17: Yahweh, your God, is in your midst,

a warrior who gives victory.

Psalm 24:8:

Who is the King of Glory?

Yahweh, strong and mighty;

Yahweh, mighty in battle.

In these passages Yahweh is explicitly called a warrior or directly compared to a warrior. If one

moves out from simple designations to actual functioning, the metaphor or image is even more

extensively present. Yahweh is the subject of many verbs that belong to the sphere of war

In Psalms and Exodus people began making statements about Yahweh - "Oh Lord God of Israel, there is no God like you in heaven above or Earth below" Kings 8;23
But this was also done with Zeus, it's called divine incomparability because the God cannot be compared to anything.

Zeus, Ancient Near Eastern Notions of Divine Incomparability, and Similes in the Homeric Epics (Classical Antiquity 2012) -

Zeus, Ancient Near Eastern Notions of Divine Incomparability, and Similes in the HomericEpicsAuthor(s): Jonathan L.

It's known that one Egyptian God may have been the first to be supreme - Amun-Ra, a God known to the Egyptians as titles such as the “Supreme God” was truly someone who Egyptians dare not offend. Symbolized by the ram expressing fertility and war, two powerful forces that both create and end humans.

DUring the Middle Ages theologians like Aquinas advanced concepts of Yahweh by adding Platonic ideas. Tri-omni and concepts of The One were borrowed for the CHristian God.

His concept of 'the One' is equivalent to 'the Good' because it describes an ultimate ontological truth. 'The One' is both 'uncaused' and the cause of being for everything else in the universe. Plotinus compared his principle of 'the One' to an illuminating light, as Plato did with the Form of the Good.

Francesca Stavrakopoulou Professor of Hebrew Bible and Ancient Religion at the University of Exeter has a new book about Yahwehs body in the OT. So yes he had a body and would physically appear for people.
So Yahweh did have a material form. Enough descriptions to write an entire book.

When did Yahweh become supreme? Same time as all the mystery religions, when they were local religions with national Gods (Yahweh was the God if Israel) and were then Hellenized. One of the changes was -
"
-Other deities, who had previously been associated with national destiny (e.g., Zeus, Yahweh, and Isis), were raised to the status of transcendent, supreme"

Hellenistic religion - Beliefs, practices, and institutions

Clara Tea

SUPREME GODS RARELY DEPICTED:

I am reading a paper about Ancient Egyptian religion and I came across this:

In contrast, even the most cursory examination of the many world religions, past and present, major or small-scale, refutes any notion that divinity, particularly cosmic or supreme divinity, is always embodied in some material form.

For the Nuer, their highest divinity, Kwoth Nhial, is only suggested by the majestic spread of the horns of the ox. The Nuer are very careful to distinguish between a divine cosmic power which is suggested rather than embodied or represented by the ox horns, and a lesser power which takes tangible form. Kwoth Nhial is non-locatable – too ubiquitous and too powerful to be constrained by material form. For the Nuer, only the "spirits of the below", the totems, and fetishes take on a material aspect. The "spirits of the above" have a remote and omnipresent quality which cannot be "trapped" within localised and limited forms. African tribal people, in particular, are loath to embody their higher deities in material form.

Despite the rich iconography of African religion, these icons are invariably representations of ancestors, spirits, and demons rather than supreme divinities. In fact, John S. Mbiti (1969) in his exposition of African religions implicitly responded to the common prejudice of African "idol" worship with the statement, "... no idols have been reported in African traditional societies" (Mbiti 1969: 71). Yet non-represented deities are often mentally conceived as anthropomorphic and mediated by human agents such as "priests, rainmakers, elders, diviners, medicine-men, Kings, chiefs and the living dead" (ibid 71).

[...]

Aside from being too powerful or omnipresent, the cosmic deities are often conceived as being too remote to warrant representation. In the case of Sumerian Mesopotamia, among the most frequently represented deities on cylinder seals are Inanna and Enki. Both are far from supreme, but both take an active role in the activities of humankind. Inanna (later as Ishtar) performs an annual sacred marriage with the king in order to ensure agricultural fecundity. Enki is famous for his interventions on behalf of humankind when a higher god, Enlil, threatens to destroy it. But the most supreme deity of all, An, is rarely depicted, rarely petitioned, and features in myths infrequently.56

[...]

Purely anthropomorphic forms are particularly avoided, even though worshippers might mentally conceive these deities in human terms and approach them, through mediation, as superior human-like beings. Only in centralised, state-based religions does iconography of higher deities tend to become important, as in the case of the sedentary, centrally-ruled Shilluk culture of the Sudan. The following section applies these observations to specific Egyptian deities, especially Osiris.

SOURCE07.pdf (une.edu.au)

This is not dissimilar to something I wrote before on RF, that generally the 'Sky Father' is too high and holy to be depicted, and in polytheistic systems many of those that become Gods start off as what we'd now call spirits - water spirits, spirits of the dead, etc. and are not seen as Gods in the way we now understand this word.

OPINION OF CLARA TEA:

The ancient Egyptians might have worried that evoking the name of the great one might stir Him awake. One doesn't want a wakened all-powerful diety around.

This begs the question. . . are the Egyptian Gods the same as the ancient Jewish Gods?

Nothing can represent a greater power than one that is imagined. If you can see a God, you can see His limitations.

The material world is finite. Very confining for an all-powerful God.

The Egyptians did have anthropomorphic Gods, yet, many retained animal characteristics.

"No idols have been reported in African traditional societies." I disagree (please read on).

Idols or symbols : a study of African traditional religion in the context of the problems of interpretation in its use of images in SearchWorks catalog

Stanford University: "Idols or symbols : a study of African traditional religion in the context of the problems of interpretation in its use of images."

RAAI - Ross Archive of African Images

Yale University: "King Ockiya's Idols."

Capricious Arts: Idols in Renaissance era Africa and Europe (The Case of Sapi and Kongo)

Harvard University: "Idols in Renaissance Era Africa and Europe."

Subject heading search result page

University of North Carolina (documenting the South): "Idols--African."

University of Chicago: "African Objects and the Idea of Fetish."

The African History Behind Latino Botánicas – NBC New York

Duke University (NBC New York, website): "The African History Behind Latino Botanicas."

Buffalo University: "South Africa: Tutoring Local Youth with Inkululeko."

Clara Tea

As a human thinking. I am dominion presence stated as myself ...a human. The thinking human. Highest dominion supreme. A man.

As no one else is the storyteller.

I don't pretend anything else is higher first. I am the thinker.

I live and I think.

Then comes I want. The theist man men liar Satanists. Science of man historians.

Liars.

Who want supreme energy out of energy. So think what supreme dominion status can I cause to abstract energy from energy.

First I say energy is constant. As mass. Supreme deity is held mass.

As light is gas burning removal taking energy into destruction. I can't own nor hold the I want energy in light.

So I named supreme human deity the earth.

As I can dig up its mass. As dominion man I apply my machine to take destroy energy to get energy. By my personal man's God means. The machine.

So my Ai God is more powerful than the God of mass.

As energy isn't constant by my own man of God science practice as supreme deity position I am energies destroyer. So now my mind is self possessed that I am the greatest God.

As it's my mind direct equals I get energy. So I now pretend I personally physically obtained energy. Ignoring how I accessed it.

All of my man's old and modern science stories depict my self idolisation.

So I warned everyone of my science of man's ego destroyer.

As a man my life biology in supreme heavens got life cell blood sacrificed.

I said from adult man to my baby self man son. I only owned a man's life given back to me by a dead man's body. I was gifted a man's life by my human mother's ovary.

Yet old man's life body I inherit. To exact my biologies position to stop mind lying as the scientist.

Which became a mis taught story as human men self idolise being a man as the theist.

Exactly warned still today by my human stories I seek my self deification again. I make up all the stories as it's part of man's con as a scientist.

Opinion of Clara Tea:

Rational Experiences wrote: "make up all the stories as it's part of man's con as a scientist"

Uneducated theists say that smart people are conning them. Those with PhDs who spend years and years studying in schools, and then spent years researching Global Warming, report that Global Warming will kill off some species (maybe kill off all life), and Global Warming will intensify storms. They point out that hurricane Katrina was intensified by Global Warming.

With a simple denial, President Trump said that Global Warming is a hoax. But he's not a scientist. Even the few scientists that he hired (the ones who agree with his position), do so because oil tycoons pay their salaries. It's about money, not science.

God can't be proven to exist.

So, theists believe without proof.

This makes theists the perfect patsies in the attempt to destroy God.
Worship of mammon over the worship of God results in rich tycoons getting their way....polluting God's environment, and destroying God's life (God's creations). Lies must be told to support theists ignorant assertions that Global Warming is a hoax.

President W. Bush sent his lawyers in to rewrite the United State's envirnomental report that said that Global Warming intensified hurricane Katrina. His lawyers rewrote the scientist's report. The woman in charge of that report (who headed her department) resigned in protest. That is one less person with knowledge, sense, and veracity to fight off the oil tycoons who are destroying God's world.

Clara Tea

That's interesting.

But I would argue that even if those lesser Gods started out as spirits that were later elevated to Godhood, doesn't negate the fact that they are still worshipped as Gods.

I kind of tried it touch on this in a thread I made about "hidden Gods", mentioning that many societies had a God who was considered "hidden, or unreachable"; even Odin is known as the "One who is Many". Referencing the myriad forms he takes to interact with others. I think this is also why we have deities that shapeshift in mythology as well. To bridge the material/supernatural planes of existence.

"To bridge the material/supernatural planes of existence."

Since 911, the FAA won't let the supernatural on planes anymore.

Clara Tea

Yahweh started out as a warrior deity as well. In Exodus he fought a sea monster.
The theme Yahweh-is-a-Warrior is present in all sections of the canonóTorah, Prophets,

and Writings:

Yahweh is a man of war;

Yahweh is his name.

In these passages Yahweh is explicitly called a warrior or directly compared to a warrior. If one

moves out from simple designations to actual functioning, the metaphor or image is even more

extensively present. Yahweh is the subject of many verbs that belong to the sphere of war

In Psalms and Exodus people began making statements about Yahweh - "Oh Lord God of Israel, there is no God like you in heaven above or Earth below" Kings 8;23
But this was also done with Zeus, it's called divine incomparability because the God cannot be compared to anything.

Zeus, Ancient Near Eastern Notions of Divine Incomparability, and Similes in the Homeric Epics (Classical Antiquity 2012) -

Zeus, Ancient Near Eastern Notions of Divine Incomparability, and Similes in the HomericEpicsAuthor(s): Jonathan L.

It's known that one Egyptian God may have been the first to be supreme - Amun-Ra, a God known to the Egyptians as titles such as the “Supreme God” was truly someone who Egyptians dare not offend. Symbolized by the ram expressing fertility and war, two powerful forces that both create and end humans.

DUring the Middle Ages theologians like Aquinas advanced concepts of Yahweh by adding Platonic ideas. Tri-omni and concepts of The One were borrowed for the CHristian God.

His concept of 'the One' is equivalent to 'the Good' because it describes an ultimate ontological truth. 'The One' is both 'uncaused' and the cause of being for everything else in the universe. Plotinus compared his principle of 'the One' to an illuminating light, as Plato did with the Form of the Good.

Francesca Stavrakopoulou Professor of Hebrew Bible and Ancient Religion at the University of Exeter has a new book about Yahwehs body in the OT. So yes he had a body and would physically appear for people.
So Yahweh did have a material form. Enough descriptions to write an entire book.

When did Yahweh become supreme? Same time as all the mystery religions, when they were local religions with national Gods (Yahweh was the God if Israel) and were then Hellenized. One of the changes was -
"
-Other deities, who had previously been associated with national destiny (e.g., Zeus, Yahweh, and Isis), were raised to the status of transcendent, supreme"

Fought sea monster: Poor sea monster. We should bandage it. But we should also put it on the endangered species list and protect it from harm. There aren't many sea monsters left.

Clara Tea

and Writings:

Yahweh is a man of war;

Yahweh is his name.

"

They ought naughten be eatin' almonds raw.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
Opinion of Clara Tea:

Rational Experiences wrote: "make up all the stories as it's part of man's con as a scientist"

Uneducated theists say that smart people are conning them. Those with PhDs who spend years and years studying in schools, and then spent years researching Global Warming, report that Global Warming will kill off some species (maybe kill off all life), and Global Warming will intensify storms. They point out that hurricane Katrina was intensified by Global Warming.

With a simple denial, President Trump said that Global Warming is a hoax. But he's not a scientist. Even the few scientists that he hired (the ones who agree with his position), do so because oil tycoons pay their salaries. It's about money, not science.

God can't be proven to exist.

So, theists believe without proof.

This makes theists the perfect patsies in the attempt to destroy God.
Worship of mammon over the worship of God results in rich tycoons getting their way....polluting God's environment, and destroying God's life (God's creations). Lies must be told to support theists ignorant assertions that Global Warming is a hoax.

President W. Bush sent his lawyers in to rewrite the United State's envirnomental report that said that Global Warming intensified hurricane Katrina. His lawyers rewrote the scientist's report. The woman in charge of that report (who headed her department) resigned in protest. That is one less person with knowledge, sense, and veracity to fight off the oil tycoons who are destroying God's world.
The human science theist says I want energy...the position they use to abstract energy from energy is in the lights constant.

Burning. Where energy gets consumed.

Years of false human only preaching said.... father allowed me to know holy science.

What's holy about it?

Errrrrr says just a human man I look I see I observe natural science. Said by some words not any calculus or thesis how to attack form to get energy.

So he says natural is holy and seen. Isn't a practice.

Isn't a practice as everything is created and does exist in exact form as holy.

No body should be changed hurt or sacrificed as natural is its highest.

By conditions natural purpose.

So then you get told the testimonies of human Satanism was shut as it was pure evil chosen by human science.

Legal system established and a no science practice. Shut book sworn oath. Pretty basic advice.

So Satanists took back over as rich men began reading from science themes again. Believe in life's sacrifice. Always had and was why science is Satanism.

As satanist families of old control just like Hitler scientists went into hiding. As they are allowed to torment and torture humans but their own life is precious. Is their behaviour.

So family name heritage was always studied to see where that rich man's control came from. As they knew rich men hid as Satanists during reformation.

Yet they've already won. As in the dark ages of newly irradiated brains satanic control reemerged. Humans insanity proven by their odd behaviours doctoring and missing herbal doctoring. An age old first medical position always exact was herbal medical wisdom.

So we know human history and why science had been banned. And the way of life without machine worked in balance with life's continuance.

Owning no argument whatsoever as it's real.

Men want machines to have a life and not humans. Why they preach today a human is half machine. Where a scientist sacrificed by his history was forced to talk via his machine invention as proof science did it to himself.

And now they theme to make a human direct a machine function in their bio brain. Using mind contact themes alien themes machines and men are god circles. Claiming sanity.

Yet every choice a humans every controlled choice a humans yet they wield machines not any human. Aren't sane humans.

Natural says earth God planet natural mass heavens human standing on planet.

No machine ever.

So Stephen hawkings sacrificed body is their model of intention.

The bible quantified a man scientist a destroyer of presence only. As energy in light doesn't exist to be light.

Why the bible became a legal book as science had sacrificed life. Humans destroy other bodies to get energy.

And when humans don't use the topic subject they are in fact putting in home life threats. Only proving your insanity is based on your threatening behaviour and is nowhere near using any type of human truth.

A scientist says science is truth. Your human behaviour says you don't use truth.