• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Suicide or not

RUone2

I've a question I'd like imput on. A person has had tripple by-pass operation, put on many blood thinning medicines, then a year later had a stent implanted and perscribed even more medications with the warning that if you dont take them you die. The question is, what if this person who before the medications was a bundle of energy but now is like a wet wash cloth just worn out and tired all the time, decides to simply stop the medications, I wonder if the Catholic church would consider that suicide (assuming he dies of a heart attack) or since the Church teaches that a mans honest evaluations of right and wrong should be his first guide would he be correct in not taking the meds. Thanks for any input given.

**MOD POST Moved from Are you new to Religious Forums ? To Catholic Communions**

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
RUone2 said:
I've a question I'd like imput on. A person has had tripple by-pass operation, put on many blood thinning medicines, then a year later had a stent implanted and perscribed even more medications with the warning that if you dont take them you die. The question is, what if this person who before the medications was a bundle of energy but now is like a wet wash cloth just worn out and tired all the time, decides to simply stop the medications, I wonder if the Catholic church would consider that suicide (assuming he dies of a heart attack) or since the Church teaches that a mans honest evaluations of right and wrong should be his first guide would he be correct in not taking the meds. Thanks for any input given.

**MOD POST Moved from Are you new to Religious Forums ? To Catholic Communions**

Hi, I am afraid that I cannot answer your question; I just wanted to let you know that the thread was moved here by me, because this is a better forum for your question.

I cannot help but assume that this person to whom you refer is yourself, and I wanted to let you know that I undetand your position completely; I am only sorry that you should be weighed down by such considerations.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
RUone2 said:

It is if the lack of medications is what caused it and he was aware that it would.

FatMan

Victor said:
It is if the lack of medications is what caused it and he was aware that it would.

Agree with Victor. However, if the person is not a doctor and does not know that the lack of medication would certainly cause death, it could be classified differently.

SecretOfFatima

RUone2 said:

Hi there,

Please, Please, read my response below and follow up on the information i'm going to give you, you will not regret it.

To better understand about Catholic beliefs you should first take a look at the vatican web site and search for the catechism of the catholic church... as the catechism was still dificult for some people to understand, in the vatican web site also has something called the compendium of the catechism (to help simplify the catechism), both will answer most questions about doctrine and they also cover this question to certain extent... Suicide is a very serious matter and is forbiden under the fifth commandment. This is what the CCCC says.

suicide and voluntary cooperation in it, insofar as it is a grave offense against the just love of God, of self, and of neighbor. One’s responsibility may be aggravated by the scandal given; one who is psychologically disturbed or is experiencing grave fear may have diminished responsibility.

For the purpose here and from the bottom of my heart i would like you to visit the following web page below, read it and then I also would like you to download the MP3 testomony in that page and listen to it. If you or a love one is going trough what you just described then that page will light a light in your heart.
hxxp://www(dot)davidmacd(dot)com/catholic/why_catholics_love_suffering(dot)htm
(note the hxxt string needs to change to http)

If this is a personal situation you are going trough i would also recommend that you contact your local catholic priest and have a talk with him about the situation, they are there just for that, most of all you need support to get through this.

Please feel free to contact me if you need my help further.

May our LORD bless you and keep you

RUone2

My thanks to all who answered my question concerning medications or lack of them and Catholic teaching, I kinda sorta came to the same conclusions after talking to another person I respect. Again, thank you all.

Doodlebug02

I can't answer the question but whoever is in this situation certainly has my sympathy. That said, suicide is definitely wrong.

Catechism of the Catholic Church said:
Suicide

2280 Everyone is responsible for his life before God who has given it to him. It is God who remains the sovereign Master of life. We are obliged to accept life gratefully and preserve it for his honor and the salvation of our souls. We are stewards, not owners, of the life God has entrusted to us. It is not ours to dispose of.

2281 Suicide contradicts the natural inclination of the human being to preserve and perpetuate his life. It is gravely contrary to the just love of self. It likewise offends love of neighbor because it unjustly breaks the ties of solidarity with family, nation, and other human societies to which we continue to have obligations. Suicide is contrary to love for the living God.

2282 If suicide is committed with the intention of setting an example, especially to the young, it also takes on the gravity of scandal. Voluntary co-operation in suicide is contrary to the moral law.

Grave psychological disturbances, anguish, or grave fear of hardship, suffering, or torture can diminish the responsibility of the one committing suicide.

2283 We should not despair of the eternal salvation of persons who have taken their own lives. By ways known to him alone, God can provide the opportunity for salutary repentance. The Church prays for persons who have taken their own lives.

Catechism of the Catholic Church said:
2325 Suicide is seriously contrary to justice, hope, and charity. It is forbidden by the fifth commandment.