• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sugar Gliders

SquareC

One of my obsessions. :cool:

Any other glider owners here? I love my baby and enjoy talking about her and glider issues in general.

I do have a soapbox (doesn't everyone?) one of the bigger issues to me is people buying exotic pets and not taking proper care of them. I will rant on that one... :sorry1:

ayani

oh, i bet she's soft as a cloud and just the sweetest!

i hear gliders are great little guys. what are their temperments like?

RevOxley_501

do they taste like candy?

im kidding really

are they considered mammals? or what? i love rodent type animals but my wife wont allow them. i miss my gerbils

cute though!

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I have never heard of them being a pet . Are they hard to care for ? Aren't they nocturnal ?

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
I didn't know that someone could have a sugar glider for a pet... kinda like having the skunk for pet. Without the scent gland of course ;)

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
RevOxley_501 said:
do they taste like candy?

im kidding really

are they considered mammals? or what? i love rodent type animals but my wife wont allow them. i miss my gerbils

cute though!

They're marsupials, from Down Under, Rev. They're in no way rodents, though they do occupy the biological niche claimed by flying squirrels here in the states.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Gentoo said:
I didn't know that someone could have a sugar glider for a pet... kinda like having the skunk for pet. Without the scent gland of course ;)

American striped skunks actually adapt fairly well as pets, Gentoo -- unlike racoons, squirrels, marmots and other wild creatures people try to domesticate. There is usually no real need to de-scent them, as they will generally spray only when seriously alarmed and threatened.

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Seyorni said:
American striped skunks actually adapt fairly well as pets, Gentoo -- unlike racoons, squirrels, marmots and other wild creatures people try to domesticate. There is usually no real need to de-scent them, as they will generally spray only when seriously alarmed and threatened.

They also won't spray if in an enclosed area. They don't want to smell it any more than we do.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
RevOxley_501 said:
when i say rodent, i say so in simple terms

small, cute, furry=rodent

Interesting taxonomy, Rev.
So Tribbles and Tickle-me-Elmo would be ridents, whilst rats and capybaras would not? ;)

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I went through this period of time, before meeting my husband where I was considering purchasing a sugar glider. They're such awesome little creatures and I read that they really need attention from their owners to thrive and that you can teach them to glide across the room.

There was a guy who went to the same university that I did who carried his sugar glider in his front shirt pocket. I thought that was awesome.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Seyorni said:
They're marsupials, from Down Under, Rev. They're in no way rodents, though they do occupy the biological niche claimed by flying squirrels here in the states.

Although they are quite a bit like flying squirrels in appearance Seyorni , I believe that flying squirrels are much more carnivorus .

BTW a cousin of mine had a skunk as a pet , and it was a very good pet untill it started to smell . :) It never had it's musk gland removed .

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
kreeden said:
Although they are quite a bit like flying squirrels in appearance Seyorni , I believe that flying squirrels are much more carnivorus .

BTW a cousin of mine had a skunk as a pet , and it was a very good pet untill it started to smell . :) It never had it's musk gland removed .

Flying squirrels have about the same diet as diurnal tree squirrls. They'll take insects or meat if they can get it, but are primarily seed/bud eaters.
The big difference is that gliders are marsupials.
There are three subdivisions among mammals, and gliders belong to the non-placental group, whose young cannot be well-nourished in utero and must be born in embryonic form.
Any placental mammal is more closely related to any other placental mammal than to any marsupial. Squirrels, wales, bats and humans are much closer biologically than any of them is to any marsupial, no matter the superficial similarity.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Kinda getting off topic here . :) But it is my experience that Red Squirrels will take meat , if they can get it { usually in the winter , and usually frozen meat } . Flying Squirrels will raid traps and the like for raw , non-frozen meat .

That is from my personal experience with them , but Enature lists birds as one of the Southern Flying Squirrel's foods . { and also lists bird's eggs and young birds as a food for Red Squirrels }.

I realized that the Gliders were marsupials , just questioning that they fill the same " biological niche " as the Flying Squirrel ? I don't know Gliders that well , but squirrels really are savage little creatures once you get to know them . :)

Todd

Rajun Cajun
SquareC said:
One of my obsessions. :cool:

Any other glider owners here? I love my baby and enjoy talking about her and glider issues in general.

I do have a soapbox (doesn't everyone?) one of the bigger issues to me is people buying exotic pets and not taking proper care of them. I will rant on that one... :sorry1:

One of my friends owns two sugar gliders. They take them out when we go to there house sometimes. They're very cute, but make the loudest almost creepy sound for such a small animal. I know they have two separate cages for each of them, I think mostly because one of them picks on the other. Anyway, they are truly interesting creatures.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I question weather an exotic pet like a sugar glider can be happy and healthy as a shelf pet. They might have environmental, social or dietary needs you're average pet owner is unaware of.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Well , I'm not going to argue over that one Seyorni . :) And I apologize if I came across as a little petty .