• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sufist 'Fana'

NicholaiHel

changemymind
Sufist Fana is a term that denotes the annihilation of the self. Upon achieving fana a state of baqaa,which means to reside within Allah, is reached. The dissolution of the self is an interesting concept and has similar parallels in other religions.

My question has to do with the self that is being annihilated. Is the self akin to the Buddhist notion of anatta (not-self), or perhaps Hindu Atman (self)?

This may be hard to pin down, but I'm curious as to what exactly is preventing one's realization of unity with Allah and what exactly is destroyed?

This discussion is also being conducted in this forum: http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/comparative-religion/157367-sufist-fana-buddhist-anatta.html

Yusz

Exorcist and Mystical
Sufist Fana is a term that denotes the annihilation of the self. Upon achieving fana a state of baqaa,which means to reside within Allah, is reached. The dissolution of the self is an interesting concept and has similar parallels in other religions.

My question has to do with the self that is being annihilated. Is the self akin to the Buddhist notion of anatta (not-self), or perhaps Hindu Atman (self)?

This may be hard to pin down, but I'm curious as to what exactly is preventing one's realization of unity with Allah and what exactly is destroyed?

This discussion is also being conducted in this forum: http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/comparative-religion/157367-sufist-fana-buddhist-anatta.html

Greetings my friend,

Fana, it's like our innerself ... The voice in our head, that keep order us to doing this and doing that... Let me explain more detail.. In our head, there is 4 voice:
1. mind
2. heart
3. feel
4. lust

So everyday, we dealing with this voice... For examples ,when we woke up in the morning, there's a voice in our head told us to take a bath. another voice, 'hey, let me sleep for 10 minutes more'. the other voice, 'im so thirsty, let me drink first. And the last voice, 'I don't wanna go to work today, continue sleeping.. This voice it's call temptation.. And it is US, the leader of this voice, you are the one that make a real decision... When we succeed to make the voice stop make a noisy in our head, our mind will reach a calmness state.. and the voice is completely annihilated for a while .. This calmness state often came when we do a meditation/salat/reading Quran/etc.. This voice it's like devil inside our body or our enemy, one bad decision can destroy ourself and our faith....