• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stupidity Awards

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
This is something that I've started partially as an educational tool to inform people of what I consider to be ridiculous groups or individuals, and as part of my new website. I call them Stupidity Awards (I wouldn't be opposed to a different name). This is something I plan on doing once a week. In addition, I am also accepting nominations for individuals or groups that anyone would think fits the bill or deserves the recognition.

Here is the first one that I did. Comments, questions, nominations, all are accepted:Stupidity Awards « Belzian

We at Belzian Magic are releasing something called the Stupidity Awards. Once a week, we will award a group or individual that is deserving of a Stupidity Award. Each Award will be given to those we deem to have displayed such acts that are insulting to human kind.

Stupidity Award #1

This weeks Stupidity Award goes to the Westboro Baptist Church and its leader, Fred Phelps. For over a decade, Fred Phelps has led his church, comprised of primarily his family, in making a living by spreading hatred. Their target method has been picketing everything from funerals of soldiers, to Holocaust museums.

Now, it is not the fact that they spread so much hatred. If it was just that, we could chalk it up to religious fanaticism, which is abundant enough. However, there is an underlying cause for their spread of hatred: money. This group has made a living by spreading hate. In a way, it is quite clever to cause so much hatred among groups that it elicits an attack upon themselves. Yet, the hatred that it breeds is simply insulting.

They are not the only ones who can be blamed for the reactions though. One of the few reasons they are able to display such rancid protests is because the hatred for certain groups runs extremely deep. They are by far not the only individuals who promote ignorant hate speech. One of their largest targets, the homosexual community, is hated by a multitude of other religious fanatics ranging from Christian to Muslim. Even moderate religious individuals are pulled into an ignorant hate of the homosexual community.

Unlike other bigots though, this group makes a living by spreading the money. Being a family of lawyers, they are fully aware that a lawsuit will easily present itself when they provoke so many individuals.

So this week, Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist Church win our Stupidity Award for spreading hatred in order to make a monetary gain.

I am also adding them to my Facebook page. If you like it, feel free to become a fan of it or what not.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Belzian-Magic/157224487650870?sk=wall

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I am wondering if this is a stupid statement by me: We need stupid people so we know how smart people can be. If it is, how stupid is it?

Flankerl

I award such an award to the german Reaktor-Sicherheitskommission/nuklearreactor security committee.

They are now checking if german nuklear power plants can withstand a +9 earthquake.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Barack Obama for the brilliant decision to attack Libya... err establish a "no fly" zone.

Followup recommendation for threatening the rebels for putting civilians in danger.
Go, Obama... please.

Last edited: