• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Story Idea: Is it too close to Underworld?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
I finished yet another story just the other day and wanted to write another one. I had an idea in mind:

Angels and Demons both exist, and are not for humanity. No, humans are nothing more than food for both species, that's the entire reason humanity was created: a livestock harvest of humans to feed on.

They don't eat the body, only the soul, because it gives them energy, power, satisfies their hunger. They have no other means of getting food, as they are both spiritual species and thus rely on eating things of spiritual nature. In this case, everything spiritual rests in humans, and each human that is born, it is just another soul to feed on for the species.

Angels: Could get by slightly without eating the souls, but only slightly. They are powerful species: can blend in on the hunt for human souls, fly as high as they wish with their white wings. They can reach earth quicker than the demons. They have mystical powers as well, and it grows as they feed.

Demons: Without eating, eventually the demon would become too weak to leave hell, and they lose their ability of getting used to the pain, as well as ultimately lose freewill. They are also powerful. They are very clever, tricky beings, and can fly at great heights with their black wings, the also have many mystical powers that, like angels, grow more powerful with each meal, and finalyl the power of deception. They could never become stealthy so they have their own tactics at hunting, a very reliable way.

Both species are at war over the food and have been since the first demon was created.

Humans are not aware of any of the happenings, but the races of angels and demons tempt you into the slaughter houses of heaven and the slaughter houses of hell. They lure them in with two different strategies; Promising reward in the afterlife (angels), and promising worldly pleasures during life (demons).

Someone said it sounds too much like underworld, and I can see why they'd think that.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
The only reason it would sound like Underworld is because there's a masqueraded resource war involving humans as a food source, but that's such a common trope that it really doesn't matter to point out similar premises. What matters is how it's used.

HonestJoe

Someone said it sounds too much like underworld, and I can see why they'd think that.
I don't see why that would matter - all the concepts in Underworld were "borrowed" from elsewhere anyway. Your idea seems easily distinct enough from Underworld to avoid getting sued so I'd say it's fine (and probably much closer to other works, though still legitimately).

There are no original ideas in literature. It's the details that matter.