• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

still sensing

onmybelief

I recently was told of a theory from my biology teacher that there is evidence to show that even though you'd be dead you could still sense what was going on around you!Scientists say when the dead person's brain waves were studied the waves seemed still active. Now, there probably will never be hard evidence to support this but dear Lord, it is a ghastly idea.:eek:

What do you think of this?

Ormiston

onmybelief said:
I recently was told of a theory from my biology teacher that there is evidence to show that even though you'd be dead you could still sense what was going on around you!Scientists say when the dead person's brain waves were studied the waves seemed still active. Now, there probably will never be hard evidence to support this but dear Lord, it is a ghastly idea.:eek:

Without consciousness, I don't think the senses would matter.

standing_alone

Well, if it's true that the dead can still sense what's going on around them, let's hope those who were buried aren't claustrophobic! AAH! What about those that were cremated?! :eek:

It's pretty interesting, but I agree that there will probably never be hard evidence to support this.

onmybelief

Ormiston said:
Without consciousness, I don't think the senses would matter.

To me senses and consciousness coincide. In other words they are the same thing in my opinion.

(Something I failed to mention in the original post - the brain wave activity seemed to have stopped after 72 hours.)

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
standing_alone said:
So, then, 72 hours after death, the brain activity stopped? Just seeing if I got it. :)
no, he's CLEARLY talking about the Dinosaurs and their plot for world domination! :D

standing_alone

Yep, that's what I meant.

Okay, cool. So atleast dead people aren't like that forever after their deaths, just 72 hours then.:) Very good for the claustrophobic (but I don't know about the poor cremated:( ).

Squirt

onmybelief said:

I don't find that at all hard to believe. I don't believe that the human spirit ever dies. If the spirit is the thinking, feeling part of us, it would only stand to reason that after the body died, the spirit is still cognizant of its surroundings, etc. That is totally in line with my beliefs.

standing_on_one_foot

Hmm. I was under the impression that technically, death is when the brain stops working. So I have some difficulty with the idea that the brain is still working in any practical sense after death.