• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spontaneous awakenings misdiagnosed as psychosis

ajay0

Interesting article from Psychology Today on how certain spontaneous awakenings of an energetic nature are being misdiagnosed as psychosis.

In my research, I have found that sudden awakening in response to turmoil (or ‘transformation through turmoil’ as I sometimes call it) is far from uncommon. Unfortunately, however, it is often undetected or misinterpreted. This is because sometimes sudden awakening occurs in an intensely energetic and explosive form, and causes some psychological disturbances.

The shift sometimes creates a psychological earthquake which temporarily disrupts functions such as concentration, cognition, and memory. A person may find it difficult to think clearly or focus their attention, because their minds are overwhelmed with new impressions and thoughts and visions. They may have difficulty organizing their lives, making plans and decisions, or solving problems. In extreme cases, they may even temporarily have problems speaking, and find any social interaction difficult.

As a result, "sudden energetic awakening" (as I call it) is frequently misdiagnosed as a form of psychosis. For example, in my Ph.D. research, there were five clear cases of "sudden energetic awakening," four of whom were seen by psychiatrists, given medication and/or confined to psychiatric hospitals.

This misinterpretation is a great shame, for two reasons. On the one hand, it means that the awakening process is pathologised. It is "officially" confirmed that the awakening person has "something wrong" with them or is "going mad." Any doubt and incomprehension they may have had from their friends is substantiated by the medical profession. This means that they are more likely to try to deny or suppress their awakening, and that they are less likely to receive support and understanding.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I had my "awakening" in (our equivalent of) high school, when I first understood how politics and economics worked. I was very near to becoming a conspiracy theorist - which I would classify as at least a delusion if not a psychosis.

ajay0

An another informative article on spontaneous awakenings by psychologist Jessica Corneille.

In contrast, these experiences are typically pathologized by default within mainstream clinical settings, due to their overlaps with the symptoms of certain psychopathologies, such as bipolar disorder and schizophrenia – a presumption exacerbated by a lack of scientific data on SSAs, their characteristics, well-being implications, and general occurrence within widespread populations.

While there may occasionally be similarities between both sets of experiences, both anecdotal and existing scientific evidence suggest that these experiences can occur independently, void of the presence of a mental health disorder, and often lead to significant improvements in mental and physical well-being, enhanced pro-social and pro-environmental behaviors, and decreased risks of developing psychopathological tendencies.

☆Dreamwind☆

These are the people trying to make the terrible twos a mental illness. They need to be told to sit down and shut the bleep up

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I had my "awakening" in (our equivalent of) high school, when I first understood how politics and economics worked. I was very near to becoming a conspiracy theorist - which I would classify as at least a delusion if not a psychosis.

Ooh you too? I lasted a little longer than HS. But only by a year or two.

☆Dreamwind☆

Wait what? Seriously? Since when, I've never heard such a thing.
I think its they're calling it oppositional defiance disorder or something stupid. Not everything is a ******* disorder. Maybe that's just some kids personalities and sometimes a lack of discipline. Plus people don't always realize that the terrible twos can stretch onto into the terrible threes and fours. A lot of parents called them out on their BS.

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I think its they're calling it oppositional defiance disorder or something stupid. Not everything is a ******* disorder. Maybe that's just some kids personalities and sometimes a lack of discipline. Plus people don't always realize that the terrible twos can stretch onto into the terrible threes and fours. A lot of parents called them out on their BS.

Oh no that's way different then the terrible twos. ODD is a recognized thing.

Tantrums are a normal part of kids growing up. But actively being vindictive towards others, and seeking to do actual harm is a problem.

Edit: the bigger issue here that I see echoed in your comment. Is a parents inability to not accept outside criticism of the way their children are behaving or the way the parents is handling or approaching a given situation.

This is why so many people seem to think mental health professionals are pathologizing children. When typically the answer is a little bit of psychotherapy and behavior modeling in the home. Not drugs.

Last edited:

☆Dreamwind☆

Oh no that's way different then the terrible twos. ODD is a recognized thing.

Tantrums are a normal part of kids growing up. But actively being vindictive towards others, and seeking to do actual harm is a problem.

Edit: the bigger issue here that I see echoed in your comment. Is a parents inability to not accept outside criticism of the way their children are behaving or the way the parents is handling or approaching a given situation.

This is why so many people seem to think mental health professionals are pathologizing children. When typically the answer is a little bit of psychotherapy and behavior modeling in the home. Not drugs.
I tried to find the article again for you and couldn't. I saw it on yahoo news last year and was stunned at the blatant stupidity of the statement.

Last edited: