• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Splinter Skills

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Here is an interesting article I found...
Why Autistic Splinter Skills Should Be Celebrated

A splinter skill is to quote from the article:
"a splinter skill— a talent or ability that is unrelated to other aspects of a person's life. The character doesn't need or use the information he's acquired — but he is uniquely able to acquire it."

Interesting quote from the article:
"
Dismissal of splinter skills is not only disrespectful — it's also hurtful.

How would a typical child and his parents feel if he were a terrific athlete but a struggling student, and they were told: "oh, yes, he can play soccer like a pro, but it's really just a splinter skill." The implication would be that the athletics were irrelevant — cute, perhaps, but hardly worth encouraging. Instead, of course, typical children are highly supported as they show off all of their skills — and all of their skills are, generally speaking, celebrated to some degree."

Another article on it that is interesting and goes more into depth on what splinter skills are:
Your Autistic Child's Splinter Skills Could Help Him Learn and Grow

Interesting quote from that article:
"Splinter skills are abilities that are disconnected from their usual context and/or purpose. Because they are just a "splinter," or fraction, of a meaningful set of skills, splinter skills may not be particularly useful in real-world situations. Examples include the ability to list football statistics without understanding the game of football, or the ability to memorize a bus schedule without understanding how to get to a bus station or buy a ticket. Splinter skills are common among people with autism and can be very frustrating for parents and teachers who are eager to help children to built meaningful connections and skills."

This explains a lot about my childhood...Any interesting thoughts?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Dismissal of splinter skills is not only disrespectful — it's also hurtful.

Because they are just a "splinter," or fraction, of a meaningful set of skills,

The word "splinter" is to me dismissive because the word itself judges meaningfulness negatively.

Many people have special talents for something that does not help them be a success in the work world etc. Should all of those abilities be dismissed as "splinter skills"? I should hope not.

VoidCat

Many people have special talents for something that does not help them be a success in the work world etc. Should all of those abilities be dismissed as "splinter skills"? I should hope not
Did you read this part:
Examples include the ability to list football statistics without understanding the game of football, or the ability to memorize a bus schedule without understanding how to get to a bus station or buy a ticket.
One could argue that the skill is not always helpful...

Note:I don't care what people call them...I think they are good to have but not exactly useful.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
This explains a lot about my childhood...Any interesting thoughts?

Thoughts?

Well, u know me... I want to hear about your skills.

And...

It's a little before your time, but see if u can watch the movie, Napoleon Dynamite. It's got a great quote about ”skills". "Nunchuck skills... Bowhunting skills... Computerhacking skills..."

If u haven't seen it, at least look for the YouTube of the dance number. The main character, the loveable odd ball Napoleon, tries to impress his romantic interest by developing his dance "skills" and performing them at the high school talent show.

It's easily found by searching YouTube for "Napoleon Dynamite Dance".

VoidCat

Well, u know me... I want to hear about your skills.
Well....I wrote this to someone else on here...:
Actually...I didn't speak until I was 3 and 1/2 ...My first language is fingerspelling not english.
You write very good english...I can understand it at least...then again as someone who didn't speak fluently in english in my own words until i was around 7 or 8 despite it supposedly being my native tongue I can't really say nothing.
Strangely enough i could however quote long passages from books....Just not use my own words
.I read a medical book at 6 and started quoting it at one point...Couldn't say hey how are you I'm good but I could say a whole paragraph about nephrology
whenever I read something just because I quoted it doesn't mean I understood it.
Think about that...I could memorize and quote a book to you on a complex subject but I could not understand it nor could I speak normally.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@Ray Warren,

This does explain a lot. But mostly how valuable u are as a resource and as a study partner.

And as a human being.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
For some people, it's a splinter skill I think. I taught a student once who was quite socially inept. Occurrences of bullying him went on, and I sat him down at the piano. Once he played for awhile, the kids realised he had 'some skills;. In a way, it was his saving grace.

My son memorised phone numbers by the beeps. So I was just wondering about yourself.

VoidCat

For some people, it's a splinter skill I think. I taught a student once who was quite socially inept. Occurrences of bullying him went on, and I sat him down at the piano. Once he played for awhile, the kids realised he had 'some skills;. In a way, it was his saving grace.

My son memorised phone numbers by the beeps. So I was just wondering about yourself.
It can be.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
One could argue that the skill is not always helpful...

Note:I don't care what people call them...I think they are good to have but not exactly useful.
I would agree with "not always helpful". But in the right situation it could be.

Taking your example of memorization, if you were going to act in a play about your condition, the ability to memorize your lines quickly would be a real benefit.

Research: Autistic Savants | Autism Research Institute is I think a good exposition of what was in my mind.

VoidCat

I would't call myself a savent...I can only remeber it short term...After a certain amount of time I forget...Usually...There are a few exceptions.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I would't call myself a savent...I can only remeber it short term...After a certain amount of time I forget...

I have a friend who has cognitive difficulties and is socially awkward. He has this thing with telephone numbers, he hears a phone number just once and remembers it for life, so far at least.

VoidCat

I have a friend who has cognitive difficulties and is socially awkward. He has this thing with telephone numbers, he hears a phone number just once and remembers it for life, so far at least.
Thats what it's like with me and quoting certain things.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Gosh, I wish I had some splinter skills. Any skills would be nice, but the ability to fly would be my choice.