• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spirituality in Fiction

Ronule

Not long ago I was talking with a several friends of mine, and one of them brought up something interesting. He was asking everyone around if they had a band or musician that changed their life. At the time I didn't answer the question, because I didn't have a band like that. But a few days later I kept thinking about that talk, and remembered that I did once say that a book had changed my life (not drastically, but made me see things differently), and that would have been the answer that I should have given (even though it would of changed the topic from musicians to books).

And now I find myself thinking about that situation and realizing that fictional books can be just as much of life changers as a holy book.

There have been two instances in my life when this has happened. Both books were written by Anne Rice; they were 'Interview with the Vampire' and 'Queen of the Damned.' The first had changed a lot of my philosophies about life and the way I thought of myself, when I saw some much I had in common with the main character Louie. With the second one, I had a total revamp in my views toward the spiritual and unexplained. Of course my views differ greatly from those that seem to be portrayed in the novel, but you can see where it has helped me in some of my current beliefs.

Now I have a theory, and it should be made VERY CLEAR, that this is JUST a THEORY. I've come to believe that fictional books of our time and holy books of yesteryear have much in common. Both delve deep into the fantasy part of man's psyche, and can make a person feel like there are no limits. Also it gives people that wonderful feeling of something touches your heart and makes you see things from a different light. With these ideas in mind I have concluded, though don't endorse, that fictional books of today are the stepping stones for a lot of our new spiritual beliefs. Like the holy text before them, they are bringing out people's fantasy worlds. Making people believe there is something more, and empowering them. I personally find this to be a good thing, and approve with the continuation of this new spirituality. Not meaning to denounce or defame any of the old time religions, but that is what they are, old. Of course I don't believe that they should be thrown out, but they should be enhanced, and the fiction books of today are well on their way to doing that.

I don't know if anyone else notices, but when you read a fictional book, you are looking into another persons mind and soul. They pour every fiber of themselves into this creation of theirs, and in it you can see who they really are, and what they see. I have fallen for Anne Rice's writing, because it touches me, a very rare thing. Something about her books just hit me, and bring me into a state of pure rapture, and I feel like I understand the world a little better.

I hope those of you who have taken the time to read this don't feel like I'm just throwing up a bunch of scribble. I don't want to waste anybodies time with mindless rhetoric, but I was wanting to get this out and discuss it. Thanks for reading my thoughts, and I hope I was able to present it coherently.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Hi Ronule;

I have no doubt that you are right. Most of fiction is reality-related anyway; a great amount of what we read, see on the television - even down to the level of soaps is meant to be thought provoking.

I read a book which I have unfortunately lost - which was a remarkable eye opener in morality; unfortunately, I have tried to get another copy, but it looks as if the book is unknown, out of print...I won't find it, I know. But I did learn some good lessons for it - Ones that I used to describe certain points to my Children years later - That book had a great impact on me.:)

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
I think it's dangerous, in part. Not always, but think about it. Who can make a totally unethical and unacceptable practise seem commonplace more than a fictional writer? Whether it's on t.v. or in books, there is always someone trying to push the unseemly.

What has always amazed me is when, I pick up a book, fall in love with the characters - who are portrayed deeply human and easy to relate too - and then step back and think a minute. What did they just do? That was really a horrible thing to do! In real life that would not have played out quite so nicely for them!

But since the author has liberties to make it end the way they want, they also have the ability to make a completely unfeasable storyline lead the reader to certain conclusions about life.

Like, for example, I don't know if you guys have ever seen that movie with Susan Serandon where she is divorced..."Stepmom" I think it is. Well, they are just such great friends! They all become such great friends in the end, it all ties up in one neat little bundle. In reality, that probably would be the last thing that happens! The kids would be hurt and act out, the mom and dad would resent each other, the "stepmom" would be the last person in the world to make friends with the mom, etcetera.

I mean, you have to step out of it for a second and set your feelings (feeling purposely evoked by the author) aside and THINK about the reality of what is going on! When people can do all sorts of evil things in movies and on t.v., like on Friends where everyone has slept with everyone else and thier sister at least twice, you don't see anyone getting herpes. You don't see anyone going on antidepressants, you don't see any of the things I have seen with people like that in reality!

It portrays a really bad exaggeration of life, what some people would "like" it to be.

Watcher

The Gunslinger
Ha ha ha....Scientology was started when Hubbard wrote that one book. Same with Jediism. :bonk:

Ronule

You make some good points johnnys4life. The way I'm looking at these stories is probably the same way people were looking at books like the bible way back when. Personally, I think that the books that made the bible were merely fictional accounts (maybe based on the times like our fiction now) that touched people back then, and they made it spiritual; which eventually turned to religion. I just hope that the religions to come, won't go through the past mistakes of others.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
The Bible, Old Testament especially, is more of a history book. There are several other books that can back up some of even the more unbelievable claims...and I don't think people who truly read it in th right light are going to use it as a way to push immorality. Though I have seen people use it as an EXCUSE to do so. Those are usually people who are going to be immoral anyway! :mad:

Most religious texts I have read I feel do more good than harm to humanity. Perhaps with a few exceptions! In any case, it's not really fictional....it wouldn't be in the fiction section at the library.

It would be interesting to make a list of the out and out fictional books that you feel have caused the most harm to society.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
johnnys4life said:
The Bible, Old Testament especially, is more of a history book.
I don't quite fellow you there J4L , I would think that for a Christian , it would be the other way around ? Oh well . I do understand the point you are making though . :)

A good book relates human experience . And if one can relate to it , it can change one's life , as can any human experience . However , as J4L pointed out in her first poat , one should keep things in prespective . Fiction is just that , but it doesn't mean that we can't relate to it .

ayani

kreeden said:
A good book relates human experience . And if one can relate to it , it can change one's life , as can any human experience . However , as J4L pointed out in her first poat , one should keep things in prespective . Fiction is just that , but it doesn't mean that we can't relate to it .
yeah, i agree with this, as well. nicely said!

i feel that some works of fiction can open our eyes to new ideas, new ways of seeing things, relating to people... and there's nothing like discovering a book that does that for you! there are novels that seem to convey this message of the shimmering of life- but to live through these books instead of taking your new eyes outside to see the world is a mistake.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
I think it's dangerous, in part. Not always, but think about it. Who can make a totally unethical and unacceptable practise seem commonplace more than a fictional writer? Whether it's on t.v. or in books, there is always someone trying to push the unseemly.
And that's why I want to become a fiction writer!:D

The series that has had perhaps the most effect on my life, spiritually, oddly enough, also happens to be a series that takes pot-shots at pretty much any religion you can think of. Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" books talk about several thing... When I think of them in terms of my own religion (paganism), it reminds me that what a lot of what I do is "headology," and the fun of befriending rocks and critters.

The main thing that it reminds me of is that my duty is to give a voice to those that have none.