• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spiritual

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
can a service to self, or selfish person be spiritual? is being spiritual necessarily about being moral and compassionate to others?

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The path to selflessness can only be walked by those who wish to become selfless.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
can a service to self, or selfish person be spiritual? is being spiritual necessarily about being moral and compassionate to others?

Yes, they can. But I find most eventually turn towards serving others.

Even Anton LaVey wrote a book to help others realize a path towards enlightenment.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
I usually see spirituality as a looser, popular term for what can be more narrowly described in psychology as "self-transcendence"

Self-transcendence - Wikipedia

A part of that is believing in something greater than yourself and working towards that, which I think is the opposite of selfishness.

Notably, this could also be humanism or a naturalistic form of nature worship like Scientific Pantheism, so it's not necessarily supernatural. It could even be political.

However, it doesn't necessarily make one more compassionate or moral.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Humans can and generally are moral and compassionate with or without belief in intangibles

ChristineM

Premium Member
No one can get through a life without beliefs. No one can know everything about reality.

Sure, i believe my children are good and won't grow up to join the seedier side of society
I believe my husband loves me.
I believe in reality, I don't need to know everything, just the bits i do know. If more is needed then evidence will help convince me.

None of this belief is in the supernatural (spirit or soul) which is what spiritual is. And is not needed to be be a decent and moral human being.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Sure, i believe my children are good and won't grow up to join the seedier side of society
I believe my husband loves me.
I believe in reality, I don't need to know everything, just the bits i do know. If more is needed then evidence will help convince me.

None of this belief is in the supernatural (spirit or soul) which is what spiritual is. And is not needed to be be a decent and moral human being.
having a spiritual aspect can be supernatural to some but isn't supernatural in relationship to being human. thus part of the reason for this thread.

ChristineM

Premium Member
having a spiritual aspect can be supernatural to some but isn't supernatural in relationship to being human. thus part of the reason for this thread.

Then we have different ideas of spiritual

The definitions i use are

relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.

relating to religion or religious belief.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Then we have different ideas of spiritual

The definitions i use are

relating to or affecting the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things.

relating to religion or religious belief.
i understand the word both ways. words have multiple definitions. you can't cut a person open and find the mind. it's much more subtle than that. a person's spirit is evolved from their experiences throughout life.

ChristineM

Premium Member
i understand the word both ways. words have multiple definitions. you can't cut a person open and find the mind. it's much more subtle than that. a person's spirit is evolved from their experiences throughout life.

Actually you can find what causee the mind and it action can be observed on an MRI scan.

Provide falsifiable evidence that a spirit exist thsn I'll check it out. Until then you have your opinion and i have mine.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Actually you can find what causee the mind and it action can be observed on an MRI scan.

Provide falsifiable evidence that a spirit exist thsn I'll check it out. Until then you have your opinion and i have mine.
the electro-magnetic spectrum is the cause. it's fundamental. it isn't created. an mri is only showing you the path that the electrical impulses travel. electricity is a form of radiation in the electro-magnetic spectrum.

i don't have a problem with the idea of a mind being electro-magnetic radiation but there is no exclusive form associated to a mind

ChristineM

Premium Member
the electro-magnetic spectrum is the cause. it's fundamental. it isn't created. an mri is only showing you the path that the electrical impulses travel. electricity is a form of radiation in the electro-magnetic spectrum.

i don't have a problem with the idea of a mind being electro-magnetic radiation but there is no exclusive form associated to a mind

And those electrical and chemical actions are what the mind is.

The mind is the set of faculties responsible for all mental phenomena. Often the term is also identified with the phenomena themselves. These faculties include thought, imagination, memory, will, and sensation.​
Mind - Wikipedia

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
And those electrical and chemical actions are what the mind is.

The mind is the set of faculties responsible for all mental phenomena. Often the term is also identified with the phenomena themselves. These faculties include thought, imagination, memory, will, and sensation.​
Mind - Wikipedia
electricity can be created by chemical processes but isn't exclusive to it. chemical reactions don't create the electro-magnetic spectrum.

ChristineM

Premium Member
electricity can be created by chemical processes but isn't exclusive to it. chemical reactions don't create the electro-magnetic spectrum.

So what? Magic dun it?

Actually yes, the chemical processes create the electricity