• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

spiritual psychosis

reloadthis

I think I might be beginning to enter into a psychosis. Is there someone here who can perhaps offer some advice as to how to control depression, fearful thoughts, anxiety, despair, and feelings of shame? I don't have insurance and can't trust anyone right now. I feel very alone.

In the past, I've experienced a spiritual awakening, and I question the validity of every thought, and everything I have been shown. I'm afraid that if I just have faith, then I might become all out crazy for believing things that may or may not be true. On the other hand, all this questioning is making it hard to endure life. I just wish I had the answers and I've tapped out all of my resources, have a limited support system, and nobody around me who has been through something similar in which I can relate to.

Erebus

First off, what you're describing isn't psychosis, it sounds more like depression and/or anxiety disorder. Also it takes more than just unusual beliefs to be considered psychotic so don't worry about that :)

I know you don't want to talk to anybody right now, but if you change your mind, cognitive behaviour therapy can be very helpful in overcoming some of the problems you've described. As cliched as it sounds, reaffirming your positive qualities to yourself can also be helpful. Tell yourself something often enough and sooner or later you start to believe it, knowing this, be sure to think positive things about yourself whenever possible.

Best of luck to you

reloadthis

Thanks. Cognitive therapy and NLP work for a while, but it seems like it's just a coping strategy and isn't getting to the root of things.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think I might be beginning to enter into a psychosis. Is there someone here who can perhaps offer some advice as to how to control depression, fearful thoughts, anxiety, despair, and feelings of shame? I don't have insurance and can't trust anyone right now. I feel very alone.

Your words strike home. I've been there. In my opinion, you very much need to find a medical professional -- such as a doctor, psychiatrist, proscribing nurse, or therapist -- you can trust. That will might not be easy, but you should do it.

In my experience, finding a medication that works for you is one of the keys to heading off psychosis. Another key is finding a good therapist you trust. The therapist is for cognitive therapy. I feel a combination of medication and cognitive therapy works best.

Do not be afraid to shop around for people who can help you that you trust. If you meet a doctor, for instance, that you do not trust, go find another instead of sticking with the doctor you don't trust. Finding people I could trust was very important in helping me recover from a situation similar to yours.

I know you don't have insurance, and you cannot afford to pay for services, but there are free or nearly free services in most places in the country now. You need to start looking for those.

reloadthis

I can't see a doctor. I don't have the money and if I did, I don't trust that he/she would care about me. I've been mistreated by medical professionals in the past. One wrong look from someone I try to trust sends me into a downward spiral of shame. I saw a psychologist yesterday and he looked at me in a way that made me feel so lousy and ashamed. I don't want to open up my soul to have it judged and misunderstood. The last time I went to a psychiatrist, I went there to just get some medicine but he made me stay at the hospital and it wreaked havoc because I have two little kids.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I can't see a doctor. I don't have the money and if I did, I don't trust that he/she would care about me. I've been mistreated by medical professionals in the past. One wrong look from someone I try to trust sends me into a downward spiral of shame. I saw a psychologist yesterday and he looked at me in a way that made me feel so lousy and ashamed. I don't want to open up my soul to have it judged and misunderstood. The last time I went to a psychiatrist, I went there to just get some medicine but he made me stay at the hospital and it wreaked havoc because I have two little kids.

Sounds like you've had some bad experiences. Are you willing to keep trying? I will do what I can to give you good advice, but I'm not an expert on this --- I only know what has worked for me.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Your writing makes it clear that you have an above average intelligence.
Few errors, proper grammar...grade b+....

Your situation I know. I used to sit for the neighbors and watch their kids.
I know first hand how hard it can be, to hold on.

I grew up in the housing project of a mid size city.
In the projects there are a lot of people with children to care for.
Going from one day to the next, is all they can do.

Strange how children end up watching out for children.

Now I'm gray and slow...my own children raised up.

I got through it all some how.

This I know....
If you fail...your children will fail.
You're not in this alone.
If you have the means to do so....a roof...an income....then carry on.
If you need help...get it!

This world is full of people who will look down on you.
If you look down they win.
Look up!

A good day is when something gets better.
If you have several bad days, and things seem worse....be brave.
Look up.

reloadthis

Thanks Sunstone. I appreciate your offer. It helped to just have you take the time to offer a kind word. I think I'm better now.

Thief, what you wrote really struck home. I read it, thought about it, took a shower, and voila! I feel so much better. My self esteem has took a dive in the past week. I had an epiphany and realize now that I have to search within for the answers. No one is going to cure me and no one has to accept me/love me.

To repay you guys for saving me today, I will go out of my way to help the next person I see who needs some help.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

In the past, I've experienced a spiritual awakening, and I question the validity of every thought, and everything I have been shown. I'm afraid that if I just have faith, then I might become all out crazy for believing things that may or may not be true. On the other hand, all this questioning is making it hard to endure life. I just wish I had the answers and I've tapped out all of my resources, have a limited support system, and nobody around me who has been through something similar in which I can relate to.

Perhaps you need to first realize and understand that the feelings you are describing are actually quite normal in human beings. Not abnormal.

A lot of the times people who happen to feel depressed and experience anxiety over a prolonged period due to any variety of conditions may suddenly view this as something that needs curing due to it's duration. The best advice, and its certainly not easy to do is to simply ride with the emotions and acknowledge them, but don't dwell on them or concern yourself as to when it will end or when it will feel better etc.. As far as your concerns as to what to believe and what is true, just stay with the moment and just experience things that are obvious and direct. There is no dispute to be found there and you will be in no further need of questioning or wonderment.

As an important side note you may still want to consider consulting a professional who's credentials are at the level of M.D. such as a full fledged psychiatrist.
Reason being is that there are instances where its not really your emotions and mental make up that causes the problems, but rather its due to physical factors such as experiencing serotonin deficiency of which a doctor, after examining and testing, can determine if such is the case.

If you are unable or unwilling to due to your financial status or what not, I would recommend eating lots of higher glycemic index foods such as rice which in turn will raise up your serotonin levels (important in combating depression). See if your mood improves as a result.

Take Care of Yourself.

Wannabe Yogi

Your words strike home. I've been there. In my opinion, you very much need to find a medical professional -- such as a doctor, psychiatrist, proscribing nurse, or therapist -- you can trust. That will might not be easy, but you should do it.

In my experience, finding a medication that works for you is one of the keys to heading off psychosis. Another key is finding a good therapist you trust. The therapist is for cognitive therapy. I feel a combination of medication and cognitive therapy works best.

Do not be afraid to shop around for people who can help you that you trust. If you meet a doctor, for instance, that you do not trust, go find another instead of sticking with the doctor you don't trust. Finding people I could trust was very important in helping me recover from a situation similar to yours.

I know you don't have insurance, and you cannot afford to pay for services, but there are free or nearly free services in most places in the country now. You need to start looking for those.

This is as good as advice gets. But what type of therapy works best depends on the individual.

Last edited:

AllanV

Mental Health practitioners say that poor diet can be a contributor to disorder. A balanced diet with plenty of greens and reduced sugar can bring a sense of well being. I lived on juices only for 8 weeks a while back. It can take some months to be restored. There may be someone in your life who is depleting your energy or perhaps the stress of lack of money is the problem.
I have had supernatural experiences, and am always interested to listen. It is awkward to relate these to most people. I would like to hear yours.

reloadthis

@AllanV Yes, I do notice that diet plays a huge part in my overall sense of well being. It seems for me that eating sugary and processed foods makes me more sluggish. When I eat like that, I just want to watch tv and veg out. I prefer to be at my optimum level mentally as well as physically.

In the past, I have fasted and while that gives me creative bursts of energy, I think it's too much to handle at times. When too many dreams and visions kick in from lack of food, I find it harder to shift consciousness. I got to admit though, I love the euphoria and bliss that comes with fasting, but that is not something I can allow myself to engage in because I have to live in this world too. Maybe when I'm older I can retreat and move to a nunnery, lol, that sounds great, but...at this point in my life, that would be escapism. I've been researching the raw food diet this past week and that sounds like something I'm interested in. I've been veg/vegan for about 20 years now, take lots of B supplements, and am currently taking some brain supplements that regulates serotonin levels.

I think that because I switched my eating habits recently, that may have contributed to my confusion. The past few months I've been not eating well, watching tv, and just being apathetic compared to my usual self. Other than the diet thing, there are many other factors that play into this problem. Like I said earlier, I no longer am at my wits end. I think that having someone who takes the slightest bit of interest in a person's problem without wanting anything in return works wonders. Maybe it's having just the slightest human connection, where there is only compassion, no judgment, or apprehension that say a doctor would have when dealing with a psychotic person, maybe that is what I find works for me. Going to doctors is very clinical, almost dehumanizing in a way. The last thing I can handle with dealing with self worth issues is to feel dehumanized.

What I realized today is that the root of my confusion (which leads to paranoia and an inability to manage my emotions) is a lack of self esteem/self worth. When I judge myself harshly, or allow other people's opinions of me to infiltrate my mind, it's like I am battling demons. It's like post traumatic stress disorder in that I relive the feeling over and over again of an initial reaction to heart break. Time doesn't dilute any of the pain. If anything, the pain is amplified by some memory that is triggered from out of the blue.

Anyways, I'm going on too long about this so I'm going to sum up my lesson by quoting the Quran:

"And woe unto the disbelievers from an awful doom, a severe torment."

What that means to me is that, not having faith in something that your soul knows to be true (message from God) will cause severe disturbance not just by making the person suffer from confusion or lack of self reliance, but the punishment is self inflicted because we should know better. Someone who doesn't believe something that never seemed to be true wouldn't suffer, but when you have a divine experience and choose not to believe it, you will suffer a worst hell. One minute feels like an eternity when you realize that you are truly remorseful.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Hi reloadthis, you may like to visit this blog as something may resonate for you among the entries there.

Spiritual Emergency

And may Grace be with you always to help you cope and to inspire.

Peace, and BTW welcome to RF.:namaste

jsimms435

You need to go to the doctor and get some antipsychotic medicine if that is what your diagnosed with. It can be dangerous to leave it untreated without medication.