• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spiritual Evolution...

When will it take place?

Has it happend?

Do you think it is good or bad?

I know it's happening in India. As the economic revolution is taking place, the nations morals and ethics, which were helt otgether by religion are now going down the drain... But it just seems like in other nations its the opposite.

Is this even happening to you?

Whats your view on it?

Or is it just :ignore: to you? (bla bla)

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I think spirituality is constantly evolving on cultural and individual scales.

It must. Our cultural knowledge is constantly changing, and religion must change with it. Our personal worldviews grow with each day, and our spirituality must adapt to it.

It's a wonderful thing!

Booko

Deviled Hen
When will it take place?

Has it happend?

It's happening as we speak.

Do you think it is good or bad?

It's a mixed bag, but in the end will turn out well.

I know it's happening in India. As the economic revolution is taking place, the nations morals and ethics, which were helt otgether by religion are now going down the drain... But it just seems like in other nations its the opposite.

Some of the morals and ethics in India may have been greatly improved, depending on who you ask. It's much the same here.

Is this even happening to you?

Oh sure. Here in the U.S. people worry about the declining ability of families to remain together -- that would not be an improvement. On the other hand, racism has become unfashionable in most circles, to some extent at least, and surely that's an improvement.

Whats your view on it?

My view is that this is always what happens during times of transition. What may be unique about this particular one is that it appears to be happening on a global scale rather than just a regional one.

For myself, I think Shiva is having a right fun time dancing now, but not to worry -- eventually Brahma will take over and create. ;)

In order to create, one must first destroy...

blueman

God's Warrior
God's ways will not adjust or conform to the changes associated with our culture. We must conform and adjust to His ways and purpose which is still relevant today in the 21st century.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
God's ways will not adjust or conform to the changes associated with our culture. We must conform and adjust to His ways and purpose which is still relevant today in the 21st century.

Do you think that maybe God changes our culture?

blueman

God's Warrior
Do you think that maybe God changes our culture?
I think we have more to do with the secular changes in our culture through changing attitudes, beliefs, values, etc. God has been consistent where we have been inconsistent and erratic.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I think we have more to do with the secular changes in our culture through changing attitudes, beliefs, values, etc. God has been consistent where we have been inconsistent and erratic.

Ah, so God is a static force anchoring the dynamic human culture? Do you think that maybe a marriage between the two--both static and dynamic--would be a positive thing?

blueman

God's Warrior
I believe we think rather highly of ourselves when we believe that are "dyamic culture" has surpassed the ways and the power of an Almighty God. The problem is that some of the things associated and valued within this "dynamic culture" are in direct contrast with God's will and purpose for our lives. So, in order to please Him, we in turn have to make an adjustment, not Him.

Booko

Deviled Hen
I believe we think rather highly of ourselves when we believe that are "dyamic culture" has surpassed the ways and the power of an Almighty God. The problem is that some of the things associated and valued within this "dynamic culture" are in direct contrast with God's will and purpose for our lives. So, in order to please Him, we in turn have to make an adjustment, not Him.

Actually, sometimes our "dynamic culture" manages to get back in tune iwith God, despite being out of tune for centuries.

(My earlier comment on racism would be just one example.)

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

Thanks for answering my questions! :)

I personally think that if God is a static force, then It acts as a sort of anchor, keeping us from spiraling out of control, yet allowing enough movement to grow.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I don't understand what "spiritual evolution" would entail.

I define it as spiritual change in order to adapt to new information. For example, a theist going from a Biblical view of God to a pantheistic view of God due to reading Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
I define it as spiritual change in order to adapt to new information. For example, a theist going from a Biblical view of God to a pantheistic view of God due to reading Ralph Waldo Emerson.
What is this "pantheistic view of God" and what "new information" from Emerson justifies it?

Aasimar

Atheist

God doesn't even stick to his own ways, why would we? Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon, Qu'ran, Torah, chosen people, everyone can be saved, sacrifice animals, don't sacrifice animals. I'm gonna kill everyone, now I'm sorry and won't do it again. God is so erratic and ridiculous it's no wonder we haven't conformed to his ways.

We must absolutely not adjust and conform to his ways if we want to have any hope of progress, morality, or a future as a race. (This is of course metaphorical, speaking as if he exists at all.) Iron age morality is garbage, it's time to move on.

I would say our spirituality doesn't really change much, but our interpretation of spiritual occurances changes as our knowledge increases.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
What is this "pantheistic view of God" and what "new information" from Emerson justifies it?

A pantheistic view of God is distinguished from a Biblical view of God in that a pantheist associates the symbol "God" as not seperate from the symbol "Nature."

"New information" represents the reading of Emerson; the intending meanings, the assumed meanings, the emotional response to the phrases, the emotional associations with the words and phrases, and the effects of the ideas behind Transcendentalism.