• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spiritual Awakening(s)

Shantanu

Can anyone explain to me what a "Spiritual Awakening" is? What does it feel like? Has anyone ever experienced it?

Wasn't sure where to post this, as I believe it happens to religious and secular people alike. Mods may move this if it's appropriate elsewhere.
I had spiritual awakening in my early forties through dreams and visions of what I was to experience: it was the mind playing tricks on my brain and it destroyed my life, for I lost my cherished job and was incarcerated in a mental hospital suffering from persistent delusional disorder for which anti-psychotic medication of risperidone and anti-depressant medication of sertraline were prescribed. In the years that followed I often reflected back on those visions and dreams as well as other utterances of mine as though they had emanated from a God, who I then investigated in a systematic manner. It turned out to be nothing.

Today I am still alive thanks to a supporting family and the mental health authorities of the United Kingdom.

In short spiritual awakening is the human mind playing tricks upon the psyche of the individual to then cause aggravations in society.

If a God exists He is responsible. But I very much doubt that there is any God that would claim responsibility for spiritual awakenings as in my case.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I had spiritual awakening in my early forties through dreams and visions of what I was to experience: it was the mind playing tricks on my brain and it destroyed my life, for I lost my cherished job and was incarcerated in a mental hospital suffering from persistent delusional disorder for which anti-psychotic medication of risperidone and anti-depressant medication of sertraline were prescribed. In the years that followed I often reflected back on those visions and dreams as well as other utterances of mine as though they had emanated from a God, who I then investigated in a systematic manner. It turned out to be nothing.

Today I am still alive thanks to a supporting family and the mental health authorities of the United Kingdom.

In short spiritual awakening is the human mind playing tricks upon the psyche of the individual to then cause aggravations in society.

If a God exists He is responsible. But I very much doubt that there is any God that would claim responsibility for spiritual awakenings as in my case.

Not close to any experience I have learned about, but each journey is different I suppose. Best of luck on your journeys.

Shantanu

Not close to any experience I have learned about, but each journey is different I suppose. Best of luck on your journeys.
When one is constantly seeking truth, anything that happens within and without gets investigated and analysed by the mind, and interpretations made. These are subject to delusional examinations. I was simply a truthseeker who suffered in this manner.

Michelle71

It kind of seems to me that it would be experiential in nature - something so removed from our carnal state, something so profound that it shatters everything we thought we knew about us, the universe, and our world. I guess to me it would be kind of the opposite of looking into the abyss or some other traumatic soul raping ordeal. It would be to know that you are more than the physical state you know and that there is more out there than we can be cognizant of. I guess when you become aware of everything and know how it all fits together ... then you will be like God.