• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

spiffing up the bible

i remember reading somewhere, whether it was in the bible or something, i forget, that it has been admitted that stories in the bible have been, swolen up to appear, more appealing..?...that a lot of the stories have added parts, or parts you would find more in a legend, than a historical document. not stating the bible is a legend, but that its basis for information was infact to some extent, legend, more than history? Jesus was very special, but maybe the things like water into wine, walking on water, changing the weather, were added to give the stories more, flavor?

reyjamiei

bradleykavin said:
i remember reading somewhere, whether it was in the bible or something, i forget, that it has been admitted that stories in the bible have been, swolen up to appear, more appealing..?...that a lot of the stories have added parts, or parts you would find more in a legend, than a historical document. not stating the bible is a legend, but that its basis for information was infact to some extent, legend, more than history? Jesus was very special, but maybe the things like water into wine, walking on water, changing the weather, were added to give the stories more, flavor?

Some good books to read about this are:

Asimov's Guide to the Bible Vol. II: The New Testament by Isaac Asimov
Gospel Fictions by Randel Helms
Who Wrote the Gospels? by Randel Helms