• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Speaking in Tongues

Dadball

I sometimes go to a prayer breakfast of about 10 people. Most of them are elderly,(WWII) generation. There is atleast one man in that group that can speak in tongues, and witnessed by others. They said it was very personal experience, and did not seemed willing to talk about it.

tracyh98

I myself am new here. I just found the site tonight.
I am Pentecostal.
I have spoken in tounges and heard others. It is a real experience from God. Before speaking in tounges I thought that maybe it could have been just a show. I was wrong.
It's a special prayer from you to God.
It's amazing. Like nothing that you will ever experience. When the Holy Ghost comes in and you begin to speak in that heavenly language it's like you are at the throne talking directly to God. It's a wonderful gift.
I will admit not all have it but not all know and believe what I believe either.

Melody

I'm reserving opinion. I know the Bible talks about speaking in tongues but every experience I've been exposed to seemed to be a deliberate exhibition. Maybe it's just my comfort level though.

may

While the spirit of God granted early Christians the gift of tongues, it did not cause them to speak unintelligible or untranslatable gibberish. In harmony with Paul’s counsel, the holy spirit provided speech that resulted in the good news being more quickly "preached in all creation that is under heaven."—Colossians 1:23.that was the purpose of the gift of tongues, to preach the message about the good news of the kingdom . now that we have all of the bible we do not need to speak in tongues any more ,in fact it was done away with

It served as a sign that God had shifted his favor from the Jewish system to the newly formed Christian congregation. (Heb. 2:2-4)’ (2) ‘It was a practical means to spread the good news on an international scale in a short time. (Acts 1:8)that was its purpose we do not need it anymore,we only need the bible and love

John 13:35: "By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves."​

1 Cor. 13:1, 8: "If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels but do not have love, I have become a sounding piece of brass or a clashing cymbal. Love never fails. But whether there are gifts of prophesying, they will be done away with; whether there are tongues, they will cease

wiskeychris

Really? Wow. I thought that speaking in tongues was a gift from Jesus to his disciples in the first century to allow them to spread the word to different lands. They were ordered to spread the word about jesus to all the known world, much of which spoke a different language than the apostels did. So, whenever you hear someone "speaking in tongues", they are either possesed by a demon or completely full of it. There is no longer a need to speak in tongues as the word of God has been spread to almost the entire planet. There are plenty of True Christians who speak many different languages, there is no need to speak in tongues anymore.

may

In the first century, when Christians ‘spoke in tongues,’ what they said had meaning to people who knew those languages. (Acts 2:4, 8) Today, is it not true that ‘speaking in tongues’ usually involves an ecstatic outburst of unintelligible sounds?