• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Space Battleship: Yamato (English dub)

Bob the Unbeliever

So. I was looking at 'Zon prime today, for something to watch over lunch.

And in my "watchlist" was this movie-- a Live Action version of the old Anime cartoon, Yamato. I always enjoyed the old cartoon-- I rather like the premise, too. Earth was really hurting for resources, and the plucky earthlings had captured (or reverse engineered--didn't really matter) a really powerful space drive. They needed a platform/hull to put it in, and being resource-strapped, nothing new was strong enough. So they unearthed the old WW2 battleship hull, and re-purposed it into a space platform. Far fetched? Only a little-- for a comic book 'universe'. Many comics don't bother to even attempt "explaining".

Anyway, fast-forward to today, and a movie studio decided to make a Live Action (for a certain value of 'live action') version of that old, venerable story.

I'm roughly 10 minutes in, and it's classic Japanese/English dubbing. Still? I'm enjoying the heck out of this so far.

Normally, I just rent movies, as I don't want to establish a "relationship commitment". :) But, this rented for $7, and the purchase was just $3 more-- if I watched it even one more time? Well... I bought it. I'm happy I did, as I'll watch this at least one more time.

So far? So good.

Bob the Unbeliever

So. This movie is a Japanese production, and really, they own the word "Yamato", do they not?

The characters are pronouncing it "yah muh TOO".

I was raised saying it "yah MAH toe"...

My childhood is ruined.

<sobbing> :D:rolleyes::D

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
So. I was looking at 'Zon prime today, for something to watch over lunch.

And in my "watchlist" was this movie-- a Live Action version of the old Anime cartoon, Yamato. I always enjoyed the old cartoon-- I rather like the premise, too. Earth was really hurting for resources, and the plucky earthlings had captured (or reverse engineered--didn't really matter) a really powerful space drive. They needed a platform/hull to put it in, and being resource-strapped, nothing new was strong enough. So they unearthed the old WW2 battleship hull, and re-purposed it into a space platform. Far fetched? Only a little-- for a comic book 'universe'. Many comics don't bother to even attempt "explaining".

Anyway, fast-forward to today, and a movie studio decided to make a Live Action (for a certain value of 'live action') version of that old, venerable story.

I'm roughly 10 minutes in, and it's classic Japanese/English dubbing. Still? I'm enjoying the heck out of this so far.

Normally, I just rent movies, as I don't want to establish a "relationship commitment". :) But, this rented for $7, and the purchase was just $3 more-- if I watched it even one more time? Well... I bought it. I'm happy I did, as I'll watch this at least one more time.

So far? So good.

Not much into Japanise cartoony moves but the "live action" version sounds interesting.

On a similar subject, a movie night we attended a few days ago featured a Jaques Tati movie, never heard of him before. Laugh, he is absolutely hilarious, imagine Chaplin mixed with Peter Sellers on top of Monty Python. Came home and brought a collection which arrived today, watched "Les vacances de Monsieur Hulot". So funny