• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Park is erased in China

Should America do business with countries that are not considered "free"?

• Of course not. We should only do business with free countries.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • We should boycott countries which are "not free," but we can still do business with "partly free"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A country's internal policies are none of our business, and we can do business with anyone we want

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None of the above

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
‘South Park’ Is Erased in China After Mocking Censors

'South Park' Scrubbed From Chinese Internet After Critical Episode

South Park creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone probably saw this coming, and to their credit, simply didn't care.

The most recent episode of South Park, "Band in China," has been generating loads of media attention for its sharp critique of the way Hollywood tends to shape its content to avoid offending Chinese government censors in any way whatsoever.

Now, those very same government censors, in the real world, have lashed back at South Park by deleting virtually every clip, episode and online discussion of the show from Chinese streaming services, social media and even fan pages.

The draconian response is par for the course for China's authoritarian government, which has even been known to aggressively censor Winnie the Pooh because some local internet users had affectionately taken to comparing Chinese president Xi Jinping to the character.

On Monday afternoon, creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone issued a statement with a faux apology about the ban.

"Like the NBA, we welcome the Chinese censors into our homes and into our hearts," the statement reads. "We too love money more than freedom and democracy. Xi doesn't look like Winnie the Pooh at all. Tune into our 300th episode this Wednesday at 10! Long live the great Communist Party of China. May the autumn's sorghum harvest be bountiful. We good now China?"

Of course, this isn't really communist censorship, since US business owners, corporate execs, and other capitalists have all fallen all over themselves to tell us that China is capitalist now. Therefore, this is capitalist censorship, and it seems pretty clear that on both sides of the Pacific, capitalists love money more than freedom and democracy.*

* For those of you who think that's not true and that I'm just making another senseless rant against capitalism, answer this question: When can we expect Corporate America to organize a mass boycott against China? If the answer is "never," then that proves what I'm saying is true.

As to the poll question ("Should America do business with countries that are not considered 'free'?"), I would use Freedom House's standard for "free." Any country on this map that's not green is not considered "free" (yellow is "partly free" and purple is "not free"):

1920px-Freedom_in_the_World_2018.svg.png

Last edited:

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson

Of course, this isn't really communist censorship, since US business owners, corporate execs, and other capitalists have all fallen all over themselves to tell us that China is capitalist now. Therefore, this is capitalist censorship, and it seems pretty clear that on both sides of the Pacific, capitalists love money more than freedom and democracy.*

* For those of you who think that's not true and that I'm just making another senseless rant against capitalism, answer this question: When can we expect Corporate America to organize a mass boycott against China? If the answer is "never," then that proves what I'm saying is true.

As to the poll question ("Should America do business with countries that are not considered 'free'?"), I would use Freedom House's standard for "free." Any country on this map that's not green is not considered "free":

China also stopped the Simpsons, but it was not "Communist Censorship" although there is a lot of that going on. However I suspect that South Park suffered the same fate as the Simpsons. The Chinese government, and many of the Chinese people, looks at all cartoons as kids shows.... young kids (children) shows. Once they see the content and translate the language, they realize this is not for Children and they take them off the air and block them wherever they see them to prevent children from seeing them

Yes that is a type of censorship, but it is not anti-west, of politically motivated, it is a lack of understanding that there are adult targeted cartoons.

As for business with China, at the moment it is highly likely due to a lack of how the world, particularly the business world, outside of China actually works....the Chinese government might be mucking that up all on their own

MikeDwight

Purportedly I had an adverse reaction to Chinese molestation trains. Censorship! AHAHAHA YOU SCREW!

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

As to the poll question ("Should America do business with countries that are not considered 'free'?"), I would use Freedom House's standard for "free." Any country on this map that's not green is not considered "free" (yellow is "partly free" and purple is "not free"):

We should't either boycott or not boycott, but we can disagree.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I have to wonder what Freedom House's criteria are for "free" if a country like the United States - without universal habeas corpus, with secret prisons, and where nearly 1% of the adult population is incarcerated - would qualify.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
China also stopped the Simpsons, but it was not "Communist Censorship" although there is a lot of that going on. However I suspect that South Park suffered the same fate as the Simpsons. The Chinese government, and many of the Chinese people, looks at all cartoons as kids shows.... young kids (children) shows. Once they see the content and translate the language, they realize this is not for Children and they take them off the air and block them wherever they see them to prevent children from seeing them

Yes that is a type of censorship, but it is not anti-west, of politically motivated, it is a lack of understanding that there are adult targeted cartoons.

I'm not so sure about that, especially since they previously allowed it but banned it after the show made fun of Chinese censorship. It's clear that this is some sort of retaliatory censorship, just as was done in regards to the comments made by Houston Rockets' GM and the NBA falling all over itself in shameless, apologetic deference.

As for business with China, at the moment it is highly likely due to a lack of how the world, particularly the business world, outside of China actually works....the Chinese government might be mucking that up all on their own

Maybe, although it appears that in the eyes of some Western leaders and businesspeople, China can do no wrong.

Wu Wei

I'm not so sure about that, especially since they previously allowed it but banned it after the show made fun of Chinese censorship. It's clear that this is some sort of retaliatory censorship, just as was done in regards to the comments made by Houston Rockets' GM and the NBA falling all over itself in shameless, apologetic deference.

Maybe, although it appears that in the eyes of some Western leaders and businesspeople, China can do no wrong.

Follow what is going on in Hong Kong and research what the Chinese government solution appears to be.... that could be the straw that broke the camels back. Also look at Chinese companies response to tariffs. This strategy works inside China, and has for years, but outside China, business look for other resources. Nothing is for certain, but the world outside of China does not generally respond to things like this as the folks inside China do. Western businesses, no matter what, want to make more money, not less.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't think we can get around doing business with at least some non-free countries. That is simply part of being in the world today (and for most of history).

That said, self-censorship to avoid offending the leaders of any country seems to be excessive. We *should* have shows critical of other countries *and* our own. That is part of what it means to be free.

So, in my mind, the problem isn't having business dealings with non-free countries. The problem is censoring ourselves and reducing the freedoms *we* have in order to cater to the sensitivities of authoritarian rulers.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I answered "None of the above."

My position is that businesses should behave ethically.

This generally allows a company to do business in "less than free" countries and sometimes even with those country's governments.

Even people whose governments are oppressive need water treatment plants, cell phones, banking services, food, etc.

Bob the Unbeliever

"boycot". "scrubbed"

I'm guessing you are either of my generation (boomers) or the next one.

Kids that grew up having easy access to the internet? Laugh at the "authorities" silly and vain attempt to "censor" the world wide web.

It's akin to trying to compress jello with a sieve.... the ways and methods to get around those are legion, and widely known. Heck, I'm a boomer-baby, and even though I've never had a need to circumvent "internet censorship" I know how to do it well enough.

I expect kids growing up with this stuff are far more savvy than I could ever hope to be.

It's pure propaganda, on the part of Chinese government-- who are comprised of mostly old men who are older than I am...

About as effective as the US attempting to ban abortions--- any "ban" will simply ban the official methods, leaving the unofficial ones open like they've been since the Dark Ages and before.

As for "boycott China"? HOW? Nothing in the consumer revenue stream is without some Chinese content. Absolutely NOTHING.

You would need to avoid ALL clothing products, except for bespoke or hand-created items. Same for fabric, if you are going to make your own garments.

And SHOES? Forgetaboutit-- none are made here, except for pure hand-made custom.

Food? All food is touched on by China-- product packaging if nothing else. The only kind that isn't are fresh veggies and meats.

And heaven help you if you want a CAR! All cars contain Chinese products, principally in their electronic chips...

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Follow what is going on in Hong Kong and research what the Chinese government solution appears to be.... that could be the straw that broke the camels back. Also look at Chinese companies response to tariffs. This strategy works inside China, and has for years, but outside China, business look for other resources. Nothing is for certain, but the world outside of China does not generally respond to things like this as the folks inside China do. Western businesses, no matter what, want to make more money, not less.

I get what you're saying about China's internal politics, but I'm also looking at the Western response. Our leaders talk it up about how much they support freedom and democracy. Coupled with that is the practice of imposing sanctions on countries if we think they're not free or democratic. But it's a certain selective list; it's not consistent. Our leaders try to pass off the notion that they're acting "on principle," when they impose sanctions on North Korea or Iran, but when it comes to countries like China or Saudi Arabia - suddenly they have no principles.

Just pointing it out for the sake of the record...

Wu Wei

I get what you're saying about China's internal politics, but I'm also looking at the Western response. Our leaders talk it up about how much they support freedom and democracy. Coupled with that is the practice of imposing sanctions on countries if we think they're not free or democratic. But it's a certain selective list; it's not consistent. Our leaders try to pass off the notion that they're acting "on principle," when they impose sanctions on North Korea or Iran, but when it comes to countries like China or Saudi Arabia - suddenly they have no principles.

Well we have imposed tariffs on China. And who are you referring to as the "Western Response". "What "leaders"?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
"boycot". "scrubbed"

I'm guessing you are either of my generation (boomers) or the next one.

Kids that grew up having easy access to the internet? Laugh at the "authorities" silly and vain attempt to "censor" the world wide web.

It's akin to trying to compress jello with a sieve.... the ways and methods to get around those are legion, and widely known. Heck, I'm a boomer-baby, and even though I've never had a need to circumvent "internet censorship" I know how to do it well enough.

But can it be done legally and without detection? I recently read of a guy who was arrested for selling drugs over the "dark web," but somehow they managed to catch him anyway.

And in the case of the NBA, that's self-censorship - along with shamelessly abasing themselves by apologizing to China and castigating the Rockets' GM. The kids might still laugh at that, but not for the reasons you're citing.

I expect kids growing up with this stuff are far more savvy than I could ever hope to be.

I expected that, too, although from what I can tell, most kids and 20-somethings know about their cellphones, yet don't seem to know much more than that. Even something as simple as copying and pasting in a Word document seems to be beyond their capabilities. Many don't even have desktop computers; their only connection to the internet is through their phone.

It's pure propaganda, on the part of Chinese government-- who are comprised of mostly old men who are older than I am...

About as effective as the US attempting to ban abortions--- any "ban" will simply ban the official methods, leaving the unofficial ones open like they've been since the Dark Ages and before.

Or maybe as effective as banning marijuana, yet that doesn't stop the government from doing it.

But one has to wonder why the old men of the Chinese government would even care about what Westerners think of them? If they've reached that level of power, they should at least have some awareness of what the West thinks of them. Many of their citizens have traveled to and even been educated in Western countries, so the notion that China is a country full of fragile snowflakes whose feelings were hurt by a tweet in support of the Hong Kong protesters just seems so way off it isn't funny.

As for "boycott China"? HOW? Nothing in the consumer revenue stream is without some Chinese content. Absolutely NOTHING.

You would need to avoid ALL clothing products, except for bespoke or hand-created items. Same for fabric, if you are going to make your own garments.

And SHOES? Forgetaboutit-- none are made here, except for pure hand-made custom.

Food? All food is touched on by China-- product packaging if nothing else. The only kind that isn't are fresh veggies and meats.

And heaven help you if you want a CAR! All cars contain Chinese products, principally in their electronic chips...

It's still possible. We didn't do much business with China (if any at all) back in 1950. How did we manage to survive back then, if China was so indispensable to the US economy?

How did we end up in such a position of such abject dependency on China now? Is it because of Western leaders having no real principles?

Bob the Unbeliever

But can it be done legally and without detection? I recently read of a guy who was arrested for selling drugs over the "dark web," but somehow they managed to catch him anyway.

And in the case of the NBA, that's self-censorship - along with shamelessly abasing themselves by apologizing to China and castigating the Rockets' GM. The kids might still laugh at that, but not for the reasons you're citing.

I expected that, too, although from what I can tell, most kids and 20-somethings know about their cellphones, yet don't seem to know much more than that. Even something as simple as copying and pasting in a Word document seems to be beyond their capabilities. Many don't even have desktop computers; their only connection to the internet is through their phone.

Some of the best hackers in the world, next to government-sponsored Russian ones? Live in China. I think you underestimate the Chinese young people. Don't compare these to the lazy, self-entitled Americans, who wouldn't know how to change a TV channel unless they had an app for that...

Or maybe as effective as banning marijuana, yet that doesn't stop the government from doing it. .

It's always been an Open Joke-- it's a literal pacifier for their Base, who are too stupid to recognize pablum/placebo when they are fed it by their government.

But one has to wonder why the old men of the Chinese government would even care about what Westerners think of them? If they've reached that level of power, they should at least have some awareness of what the West thinks of them. Many of their citizens have traveled to and even been educated in Western countries, so the notion that China is a country full of fragile snowflakes whose feelings were hurt by a tweet in support of the Hong Kong protesters just seems so way off it isn't funny.

Saving Face. It's all about Saving Face, here-- the paint and/or label becomes more important than the actual content. Content no longer matters-- only the Label matters.

Think Orwell's 1984, and the Ministry Of Truth.

It's still possible. We didn't do much business with China (if any at all) back in 1950. How did we manage to survive back then, if China was so indispensable to the US economy?

How did we end up in such a position of such abject dependency on China now? Is it because of Western leaders having no real principles?

It's a World Economy, and has been for sometime. China's principle "export"? Cheap labor-- with it having the largest concentration of workers in the world, and Chinese currency being weak to Western currencies? "Labor" was exported into China, who was happy to accept the income.

It's what you get with unregulated Capitalism-- cheap, exploitation of labor. Never forget the Capitalistic Utopia: Labor gets paid ZERO dollars, and Management has zero responsibilities.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I don't disagree. I'm very frustrated with my government for approving the sale of billions of dollars worth of armoured vehicles to Saudi Arabia:

Canada still shipping LAVs to Saudi Arabia despite human rights concerns

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well we have imposed tariffs on China.

We imposed tariffs on Canada too. I don't see your point here.

And who are you referring to as the "Western Response". "What "leaders"?

"Western Response" - Here is an example:

EGPOsCbXUAAPS85.jpg:large

Another "Western Response" was in rewarding them for the Tiananmen Square massacre by giving the Most Favored Nation trade status, which later turned into Permanent Normal Trade Relations.

I recall when some corporate leaders (such as Sumner Redstone) actually celebrated the 50th anniversary of the Communist Revolution in China. There was clearly a policy of sucking up to China in place all through the 1990s and beyond.

To his credit, Trump is actually the first US leader in a long time to actually stand up to them (and even then, he seems kind of wishy-washy about it).

Wu Wei

The point is China is getting tariffs they never got before and regardless of what China says, it is hurting them, more than us, and more than Canada. And it shows that not everyone in the West, as your posts have implied, is sucking up to China.

You are upset, at least in part, by a response from the NBA !?

As for the rest. noted, getting favored nation 1 year after 1989 was odd, but I still do not see the upset connected to South Park being banned 29 years later.