• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Soul Purpose

Knight of Albion

Having a NDE awakened and changed me in many ways. It also brought me full understanding that nobody is here on earth 'by accident', that we each have a purpose, something we came here to do in this lifetime, before we return 'home'.

When I look at the world, it seems that more and more, humans are living out their lives as if their sole purpose is to 'get', rather than concentrating on living their soul purpose, which is to give ...

- Jules Lyons

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
How can Jules be sure that our soul's purpose is to serve? How can you be sure your NDE visions were not simply powerful hallucinations? I have had some hallucinations in the past, not to do with NDE's though, but legal deliriant experiments, and I can tell you one thing - even today I cannot separate all of the hallucinations from reality unless someone was present with me at the time, hallucinations can seem inseparable from reality, but I advise you to consider a common way to realize what is fantasy and what isn't: If it does not make sense with what you know, no matter how real it seemed, it is safe to assume that it wasn't real. But, I will not stop you from believing in your experience, I will only advise you to understand that there's a chance it may not be real, and if it starts making you uncomfortable you need to be able to convince yourself it wasn't real.

For all we know, our souls could be simply a form of currency between heaven and hell.

Knight of Albion

The quote is from the book 'The Wisdom of Near-death Experiences' by Dr Penny Sartori.
Convincingly answers all the usual queries. Worth a read.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How can you be sure your NDE visions were not simply powerful hallucinations?
How can you be sure your life and what you consider reality is itself not a powerful hallucination? In fact, those that have such experiences as an NDE will typically recognize that what we call "reality" is an illusion. Just because people live in a shared illusion doesn't make that illusion true reality.

I advise you to consider a common way to realize what is fantasy and what isn't: If it does not make sense with what you know, no matter how real it seemed, it is safe to assume that it wasn't real.
Yes, this sounds like good advice to keep oneself comfortably secure and unchallenged in their vision of reality. "It was simply a piece of bad cheese. Away with you spirit. Life is no more than I imagine it to be". :beach:

But, I will not stop you from believing in your experience, I will only advise you to understand that there's a chance it may not be real, and if it starts making you uncomfortable you need to be able to convince yourself it wasn't real.
How is an experience not real? Does one imagine they had an experience? Normally when someone says they experienced something, it's safe to say they aren't lying.

For all we know, our souls could be simply a form of currency between heaven and hell.
If that is what your insights through personal experience with these things tells you. Though I doubt you have any experience to back that up with, in which case it's just silly speculations.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Having a NDE awakened and changed me in many ways.
This is typical. I've had hallucinations in my life, but they are not at all like an NDE. I've had both. My entire life was changed from that moment forward, for over the past 30 years.

When I look at the world, it seems that more and more, humans are living out their lives as if their sole purpose is to 'get', rather than concentrating on living their soul purpose, which is to give ...
That's a good insight and truth. Life is creative. Love is creative. Love creates Life. It is a giving action. To be filled with love, to know love on such a deep level as what is exposed beyond the veil of illusion the "ordinary" mind sees as reality, fills you to overflowing, and one sees the whole of this manifest Reality as the womb of a mother giving birth, giving itself to create, which in turn returns the love out of thankfulness. Hang on to your "hallucination". It will change your life! :)

The Sum of Awe

How can you be sure your life and what you consider reality is itself not a powerful hallucination? In fact, those that have such experiences as an NDE will typically recognize that what we call "reality" is an illusion. Just because people live in a shared illusion doesn't make that illusion true reality.

I have no reason to consider it is a hallucination, and if you go deep enough you will find that it is very close to a hallucination under certain definitions.

Not to mention, the fact that we live here and truly experience it is proof enough that it is real on our own level of reality. If we were to some day move beyond reality and find out it was one big dream, it would be true that it's not real, but until then it remains real.

Yes, this sounds like good advice to keep oneself comfortably secure and unchallenged in their vision of reality. "It was simply a piece of bad cheese. Away with you spirit. Life is no more than I imagine it to be". :beach:

The mechanics behind life are not essential. Knowing why something happens does not change how it happens.

How is an experience not real? Does one imagine they had an experience?

Honestly, you should know what I meant...

Normally when someone says they experienced something, it's safe to say they aren't lying.

Sorry, but people do lie, and lies often are about an experience. If it's not for money, it's for recognition. If it's not for recognition or money, it's for reputation. etc.

If that is what your insights through personal experience with these things tells you. Though I doubt you have any experience to back that up with, in which case it's just silly speculations.

I don't believe that, I just suggested something that is equally as likely to compare its absurdity by making it look into a mirror.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This is typical. I've had hallucinations in my life, but they are not at all like an NDE. I've had both. My entire life was changed from that moment forward, for over the past 30 years.

That's a good insight and truth. Life is creative. Love is creative. Love creates Life. It is a giving action. To be filled with love, to know love on such a deep level as what is exposed beyond the veil of illusion the "ordinary" mind sees as reality, fills you to overflowing, and one sees the whole of this manifest Reality as the womb of a mother giving birth, giving itself to create, which in turn returns the love out of thankfulness. Hang on to your "hallucination". It will change your life! :)
As you noted, the qualitative difference between an NDE and a hallucination has been reported by many different people. Like your experience, over and over I've read reports about how NDEs change ones outlook on life and the purpose of life. Some people's hearts are opened through an NDE and some by other means.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have no reason to consider it is a hallucination, and if you go deep enough you will find that it is very close to a hallucination under certain definitions.
If you have ever had a "waking up" experience as in an NDE, or some type of peak experience, a Kensho moment of temporary awakening, you would have those reasons very clearly. Transpersonal researcher Dr. Charles Tart coined the term consensus trance to describe the 'ordinary' consciousness through we we perceive and interpret the confines of reality. In a waking up moment, which an NDE is, it breaks apart the facades of such reality and allows us to see what really is, we understand it much, much more deeply and clearly - even though we do not know how to fully yet integrate that into our "normal" consciousness (which can be done, in fact).

Here's some thoughts from him on this in this interview here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/cttart/art...aking+Up+A+Conversation+with+Charles+Tart.pdf

When we think of trance, we usually
think of hypnosis, of someone's will
being taken over while they're in a dull,
less than alive state. We think of hyp-
nosis as a powerful, weird, unusual state
that influences people-a state that is
nothing like ordinary consciousness.
But in fact, what was done to us to create
our ordinary state, and make it last, was
far more intense than anything that's
ever done with a hypnotist.
One of the most interesting things to
me in writing my recent book, Waking
Up, was comparing the induction of
ordinary consciousness with the induc-
tion of hypnosis. The powers [in our
upbringing] brought to bear to induce
ordinary consciousness are far stronger
than in hypnosis. And the trance state
which results-the limitations on our
vitality, the distortions of our per-
ception-are far more powerful than
hypnosis. And because our distortions
are very similar from person to person in
our culture, we think it's "normal."​

IMO, what he says above is completely underscored by the OP's comments.

Not to mention, the fact that we live here and truly experience it is proof enough that it is real on our own level of reality. If we were to some day move beyond reality and find out it was one big dream, it would be true that it's not real, but until then it remains real.
What you say is true, for the individual. It remains "the real" for you because you haven't seen anything more than it, yet. You haven't had that "ah hah!" moment, apparently. In reality however, it's not that this "reality" the consensus mind accepts is true and navigates within is "not real". Rather it becomes recognized eventually for what it is, which is a functional framework of reality for a present state of consciousness. States of consciousness wake up to higher realization of what constitutes "the real". One need only look at childhood development to witness that very thing. A child's reality of the world is not the same perceived and experienced reality of the world of an adult mind, even though it's the same reality they are interfacing with.

The thing is with these awakening moments is you're not see "another world", you're seeing this world. Except what you see is of a profoundly different order than the order you saw previously!

Honestly, you should know what I meant...
No, I actually don't. I would like you to explain. What specifically, in detail would you describe is not real about the experience?

Sorry, but people do lie, and lies often are about an experience. If it's not for money, it's for recognition. If it's not for recognition or money, it's for reputation. etc.
I said "normally". Of course I understand this. I do not doubt the OP however, nor most who go so far as to describe things that would indicate they in fact did experience it. If someone were B.S'ing on something I've had experience with myself, I would very likely see straight through it because things don't match up.

I don't believe that, I just suggested something that is equally as likely to compare its absurdity by making it look into a mirror.
My point was, you were making something up based on no experience and wildly fabricating. The OP, or anyone who describes these experiences, are describing their actual experience. They aren't making up the experience. They are attempting to describe the experience. That is completely opposite of someone speculating metaphysical theories, such as you made up. See the difference now?

Last edited:

ametist

Having a NDE awakened and changed me in many ways. It also brought me full understanding that nobody is here on earth 'by accident', that we each have a purpose, something we came here to do in this lifetime, before we return 'home'.

- Jules Lyons

I dont agree...well, in a way, at least.. it is god's way to give. Human's way is to get. but in a zoom out view when you happen to get all that is given you naturally begin to give. unfortunately we mere humans cant get all that god can give. So it is fine to get what you can to begin with.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As you noted, the qualitative difference between an NDE and a hallucination has been reported by many different people. Like your experience, over and over I've read reports about how NDEs change ones outlook on life and the purpose of life. Some people's hearts are opened through an NDE and some by other means.
Yes, very true. I've come to in my understanding through continual personal experience exploring these deeper inner domains through meditation, that what an NDE does is to essentially liberate the mind from this "consensus trance" I spoke about in the above post. That same awakening can occur through many means, revealing the same level of 'ah hah' realization that an NDE has. Meditation practice puts one in the place of opening to this. Someone once said, "Enlightenment happens by accident, and meditation makes you accident prone". How very true! :)

I'm just forming a thought here as I type this, for what it's worth at the moment, that an NDE is like that standing at the door looking into the Infinite itself. It is a subtle-level experience. In meditation practice, as you have developed well enough you are able to enter into those subtle-level domains of experience through a disciplined and focused intention (I am describing through experience here). It is the place of the NDE where you experience profound, infinite in nature states of awareness, experiencing what rightly can be described as 'divine love and presence and awareness'. This is what can be defined as a category of state-experiences as deity mysticism. That is what NDE's expose one to. And so too, when one has a deity mystical experience, the affect when encountered the first time is utterly life-changing. In time, through practice, you learn to integrate that reality into your "normal consciousnesses", where you "see God" everywhere, to try to describe it.

But beyond this door, beyond this face of the Infinite, is entering into the Infinite itself, "beyond God". This is Godhead. This is the Causal domain. This is Source. This is Emptiness. This is "entering into the Light" ("Go into the Light Carol Ann... Go into the Light..." ;) ). This is causal mysticism, where you rest in the Infinite vastness of Emptiness as see the world as it is.

Beyond this, the casual and the subtle open into the gross domain (the material world), and you see and experience and know all domains at once. The world of form radiates the Infinite and you know both the formless and form as one and many at the same time. This is describe well I feel in this paradoxical statement of a Hindu mystic,

The world is illusion,
Brahman alone is real,
Brahman is the world.

This is precisely what I am saying about how we awaken from this 'consensus trance', this illusion of reality our minds and cultures create for us, in a fully integrated perceptual reality in which this very world, this reality becomes opened to us of those Infinite potentials within us, now. The peak experience, momentarily allows one to see that. Then, it's a matter of growing into that permanently as who you are and knowing Reality.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I dont agree...well, in a way, at least.. it is god's way to give. Human's way is to get. but in a zoom out view when you happen to get all that is given you naturally begin to give. unfortunately we mere humans cant get all that god can give. So it is fine to get what you can to begin with.
You'd be surprised how much of this you already have. ;) One thing that people commonly say when they see it is, "it was there the whole time". It is always already, fully there. It's simply a matter of opening ourselves to it, and allowing it to become us, and us become it.

BTW, if you've been reading what I posted above, this telling yourself "humans can't," is part of that illusory framework of reality that artificially bounds reality into our limited understanding of the moment. That language reinforces this, and creates a reality that prevents moving beyond it. But "life will find a way" to break out and grow beyond that. Hence, why these peak experiences expose a Truth, beyond our relative, created truths which define reality for us. This is how we evolve, how we grow, constantly breaking out of these boxes.

These frameworks of reality that served us at one stage of our growth, will eventually poison and kill us if we remain within them - like a child in the mother's womb, if we remain longer than 9 months in there, we will die. The womb was not 'wrong', but simply the supporting framework of that stage of development. And so it goes through all stages of our development through childhood and adulthood where we continual grow and evolve.

Last edited:

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I have to add one more thing to this (I'm on a roll with this this morning, so sorry for the amount of posts on this). Back to the hallucination versus NDE comparison. I was reading from that link to Dr. Charles Tart, and read this in there which said what I was thinking in my mind early in looking at this comparison: https://s3.amazonaws.com/cttart/art...aking+Up+A+Conversation+with+Charles+Tart.pdf

It can happen in various ways, accidentally or deliberately.
For example, when someone says something that "blows your
mind," to use an old-fashioned expression. Or, when a tragedy
happens and it totally throws our conditioned habits off balance.
These kinds of things can temporarily shock us out of consensus
trance.

Another example is psychedelic drugs; they momentarily wake
people up, albeit in a very confused way, because they interfere
with the functioning of the mind. I've thought about this in
connection with LSD; what I think it does is, it throws monkey
wrenches into the mind's machinery. Instead of operating
smoothly, all our habits of thinking, perceiving and feeling begin
to cut in and out irregularly. This gives us glimpses of what it
would be like to be awake.​

That's the key difference. One is a sort of breaking down the barriers of this constructed reality, but in a muddled distorted way - even if the experience itself is profound. The other is doing so with incredible clarity! That's the difference, the mind is fully awakened, not simply seeing that we were asleep while not fully awake. It's like an intoxicated, inebriation of a waking state, not really seeing clearly. An actual Satori experience is one of absolute clarity.

That's what meditation does that is different than drugs. It goes far, far beyond them, and you are fully aware and participating, rather than having involuntary hallucinations enter into your confused mind. There is no inference of drugs taking control.

Last edited:

The Sum of Awe

If you have ever had a "waking up" experience as in an NDE, or some type of peak experience, a Kensho moment of temporary awakening, you would have those reasons very clearly.
And what reasons would I have?

Transpersonal researcher Dr. Charles Tart coined the term consensus trance to describe the 'ordinary' consciousness through we we perceive and interpret the confines of reality. In a waking up moment, which an NDE is, it breaks apart the facades of such reality and allows us to see what really is, we understand it much, much more deeply and clearly - even though we do not know how to fully yet integrate that into our "normal" consciousness (which can be done, in fact).

Any evidence to support that it allows us to see what really is? Most researchers of NDE hallucinations agree it is not a real afterlife, it is simply a hallucination.

Also, the way we interpret reality is very subjective and opinionative, not in match of reality. However, it's much closer to it than dreams or hallucinations which alter the actual observants from reality.

When we think of trance, we usually
think of hypnosis, of someone's will
being taken over while they're in a dull,
less than alive state. We think of hyp-
nosis as a powerful, weird, unusual state
that influences people-a state that is
nothing like ordinary consciousness.
But in fact, what was done to us to create
our ordinary state, and make it last, was
far more intense than anything that's
ever done with a hypnotist.
One of the most interesting things to
me in writing my recent book, Waking
Up, was comparing the induction of
ordinary consciousness with the induc-
tion of hypnosis. The powers [in our
upbringing] brought to bear to induce
ordinary consciousness are far stronger
than in hypnosis. And the trance state
which results-the limitations on our
vitality, the distortions of our per-
ception-are far more powerful than
hypnosis. And because our distortions
are very similar from person to person in
our culture, we think it's "normal."​

IMO, what he says above is completely underscored by the OP's comments.

I don't think this is accurate simply because this man says it.

What you say is true, for the individual. It remains "the real" for you because you haven't seen anything more than it, yet. You haven't had that "ah hah!" moment, apparently. In reality however, it's not that this "reality" the consensus mind accepts is true and navigates within is "not real". Rather it becomes recognized eventually for what it is, which is a functional framework of reality for a present state of consciousness. States of consciousness wake up to higher realization of what constitutes "the real". One need only look at childhood development to witness that very thing. A child's reality of the world is not the same perceived and experienced reality of the world of an adult mind, even though it's the same reality they are interfacing with.

I have definitely experienced more than reality, as I have mentioned in my post I had delirium experiences. I have also had very powerful OBE's in the past that are very intriguing to this day. I used to be very convinced that this reality we live in is nothing as amazing as a further, meta-reality extending beyond this one, but now with the help of skeptics and psychology, I am able to admit that this was not separate from this reality, that it was based off of this reality, that all times I have thought I entered a beyond realm I have simply entered a trance that was never intended to be literal.

I have no patience for people to take their mystical experiences heavily. It blocks some mystic empowerment that would otherwise come when you realize the metaphor behind every bit of it and not consider it literal, and instead give meaning to every little bit. It's sad to see people have these amazing experiences that are hard to come by for most people and then think them to be literal, and it's such a waste of mysticism when they are taken literal.

There is more to reality, but that rests in the abstract, otherwise it'd by logic be non-reality or non-real (synonymous with fake). The abstract is uncovered by mystical experiences that allow for higher meaning to be given to reality as it is, not a higher reality. Separating yourself from this reality in search for a higher reality should be rule 1 of the things NOT to do as a mystic. Instead, mystics should look to being in touch with supreme reality by understanding that THIS is supreme reality through the mystic mind. Truths are unlocked within our palms, but only some hold the key.

The thing is with these awakening moments is you're not see "another world", you're seeing this world. Except what you see is of a profoundly different order than the order you saw previously!

That's pretty much what I just stated above. Mind I have you relating this to the OP? In what way is what the OP said related to this world?

No, I actually don't. I would like you to explain. What specifically, in detail would you describe is not real about the experience?

There's reality to hallucinations, certainly. But hallucinations do not reflect reality, and thus not real.

I said "normally". Of course I understand this. I do not doubt the OP however, nor most who go so far as to describe things that would indicate they in fact did experience it. If someone were B.S'ing on something I've had experience with myself, I would very likely see straight through it because things don't match up.

Then you're missing the entire point of individual mysticism. It'd be a sad reality if everyone had the same universal truths waiting to be held.

My point was, you were making something up based on no experience and wildly fabricating. The OP, or anyone who describes these experiences, are describing their actual experience. They aren't making up the experience. They are attempting to describe the experience. That is completely opposite of someone speculating metaphysical theories, such as you made up. See the difference now?

What exactly was I making up? I don't get what you mean. And do not think I'm inexperienced mystically, that is far wrong.I am not saying the OP is making up the experience, I'm saying his interpretation may be off with the intention: basically I'm saying that he's taking it too literal.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And what reasons would I have?
There are many reasons why people have peak experiences. The researcher I quoted from states some obvious reasons, traumatic experience, being one of them. Existential crisis would be another. Or just some deep subconscious need that surfaces and makes a break-through for that person. Lots of reasons.

Any evidence to support that it allows us to see what really is? Most researchers of NDE hallucinations agree it is not a real afterlife, it is simply a hallucination.
That's ridiculous, actually. Any scientific researcher studying the brain and what occurs in NDE experiences, speculating metaphysically that it either proves or disproves some afterlife is full of ****. That's not science. That's injecting their personal belief systems into these things, and you should know that. There's a really long video about these very things by a brain scientist who was a partner of Dr. Persinger who created the "God Helmet" studying what goes on the brain. He is extremely clear that this research in no way makes conclusions about a God or an afterlife. That is up to the individual to conclude what they will in their own personal beliefs (which you are doing).

It's extremely fascinating and if you have the time and the interest in the data, I'd highly recommend watching it. It has been very helpful to me in understanding these things - making no conclusions that these experience prove one's God or theology. That's a whole other subject I'd love to delve into if you were interested. Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eid6fiAj8WY

Also, the way we interpret reality is very subjective and opinionative, not in match of reality.
The point you are missing, is so is your's right now, every moment. So is everyone's. We all make models of the world and interface with those models - not reality itself. Models, frameworks of understanding and seeing the world, change. And with those changes, reality for us changes. It is literally a different reality than the one we lived in before, even though it's the same world! I'm hoping to get you to see this.

The problem is people don't see the eyes they are looking out through. They are simply assumed and ignore. It's not until you can actual see the eyes themselves that you are looking out through, that you see it is not reality at all, but the lenses over our eyes. That's what mystical experience offer someone, and an NDE is a mystical experience.

I don't think this is accurate simply because this man says it.
Neither do I, but what this researcher, this man of science has exposed in his research which is considerable, is exactly what the mystics have been saying through the ages. He reveals the why and the how of it, why the world is actually and illusion of the mind. It is. It's a mesh of culturally constructed mental objects we interface with, and call reality. It the eyes we look through, not the world as it actually is. This is what science shows to be true. This is what mystical experience exposes.

That this man says this, should be considered carefully. He's qualified.

I have no patience for people to take their mystical experiences heavily. It blocks some mystic empowerment that would otherwise come when you realize the metaphor behind every bit of it and not consider it literal, and instead give meaning to every little bit. It's sad to see people have these amazing experiences that are hard to come by for most people and then think them to be literal, and it's such a waste of mysticism when they are taken literal.
Based on everything you are saying here, I don't see any disagreement between us. I'm all about what these things point to, to take one deeper within. But I recognize that some people can only deal with them by fitting them within their symbolic systems. A mythological reality, that there is a big person in the sky called God, that people relate to God as, when having a state-experience like this, will then interpret it within that current framework of reality. It was an encounter with the actual Jesus Christ, or Virgin Mary, or whatnot. It is more than understandable, and frankly legitimate for them to understand it that way. It how they need to relate to it in order to integrate it into where they are at in their developing, or emerging worldviews. (It gets more complex from this point on).

That's pretty much what I just stated above. Mind I have you relating this to the OP? In what way is what the OP said related to this world?
Because the OP is saying that life is fulfilled through giving of ourselves, rather than being greedy. This is a realization that stood out profoundly to them through the nature of what their experience revealed. I completely relate to this, and it is true on a deep spiritual level. And it does not matter whether or not the person takes objects of their experiences as literal beings, persons, angels, spirits, or not. If what is imparted is a deep universal truth, who cares whether or not God is a scientifically verifiable being? That's utterly beneath the point! :)

There's reality to hallucinations, certainly. But hallucinations do not reflect reality, and thus not real.
But what if these visions are in fact simply a face of a deeper and higher reality? I'm calling them visions to separate them out from brain-farts - they're not hallucinations in this sense at all - they're more mental object that represent higher truths from the subconscious mind, not just a bunch of bizarre stuff without meaning. They archetypal in form. Whopping big difference than seeing wild colors flashing and stuff. They are in fact reflecting a deep, cosmic, universal reality that we are all part of. So what if it's a difference face on them?

Then you're missing the entire point of individual mysticism. It'd be a sad reality if everyone had the same universal truths waiting to be held.
I very much am a mystic. And I certainly do not miss the reality that each person is individual and what is exposed for them, is for them, from them. That's why I say it is entirely valid for it to take many and varied forms. And it should. And it does. But, there are universal truths that are in fact shared through mystical experience. That all is One, that all is connected, that our perceptual realities are relative, and not absolute, and so forth. As it says in my signature, at the peak we all gaze at the single bright moon. There is the Absolute, and the relative. The universals is that we are all experiencing these things in their many and varied forms, towards the realization of the Infinite Ground, or Source which every single one of us arise from.

The Sum of Awe

There are many reasons why people have peak experiences. The researcher I quoted from states some obvious reasons, traumatic experience, being one of them. Existential crisis would be another. Or just some deep subconscious need that surfaces and makes a break-through for that person. Lots of reasons.

None of which are good reasons to point to reality and stop distinguishing its fiction and realism in order to call it all fiction.

That's ridiculous, actually. Any scientific researcher studying the brain and what occurs in NDE experiences, speculating metaphysically that it either proves or disproves some afterlife is full of ****. That's not science. That's injecting their personal belief systems into these things, and you should know that. There's a really long video about these very things by a brain scientist who was a partner of Dr. Persinger who created the "God Helmet" studying what goes on the brain. He is extremely clear that this research in no way makes conclusions about a God or an afterlife. That is up to the individual to conclude what they will in their own personal beliefs (which you are doing).

And what was Charles Tart doing?

I'm not saying NDE's disprove the afterlife, I'm saying scientists have proven that a number of NDE's, and likely all if they could study them all, are nothing more than the brain releasing DMT chemicals to cause rapid imagination. If I were to form a hypothesis why this is, it'd probably be because the brain attempts to override the experience of dying.

The point you are missing, is so is your's right now, every moment. So is everyone's. We all make models of the world and interface with those models - not reality itself. Models, frameworks of understanding and seeing the world, change. And with those changes, reality for us changes. It is literally a different reality than the one we lived in before, even though it's the same world! I'm hoping to get you to see this.

I never said mine is any different. Perhaps you should not make assumptions about what points I'm missing when it is apparent you know none of the points I am making.

The problem is people don't see the eyes they are looking out through. They are simply assumed and ignore. It's not until you can actual see the eyes themselves that you are looking out through, that you see it is not reality at all, but the lenses over our eyes. That's what mystical experience offer someone, and an NDE is a mystical experience.

Yes, and I'm a huge reality-is-perceived-subjectivist, that is my primary belief. I do agree that NDE's are mystical experiences, but the way they are taken is silly and un-mystic-like.

Neither do I, but what this researcher, this man of science has exposed in his research which is considerable,

Why is it considerable?

is exactly what the mystics have been saying through the ages.

Entirely depends on what mystics you're talking about.

He reveals the why and the how of it, why the world is actually and illusion of the mind. It is. It's a mesh of culturally constructed mental objects we interface with, and call reality. It the eyes we look through, not the world as it actually is.

And why does it matter?

This is what science shows to be true.

I've heard that before. Religious people claiming science backs their beliefs, when in all reality it hardly does if it does at all.

When in truth, if any of the scientific research that you didn't present, proves this, it must not be very hard research in the first place. Such discoveries would get a man billions of dollars, be up on thousands of popular news boards, be taught globally in schools, be considered a major topic of discussion at board meetings, etc. If such an extraordinary discovery exists, it would inevitably have extraordinary stumbles upon it.

This is what mystical experience exposes.

No, this is what some mystical experiences expose. Unless you assume every mystic who has thought otherwise is wrong (which is really no different than "I'm right, you're wrong"), there's thousands of mystical expositions that are not shared among mystics and ideas formulated by certain mystics that are disagreed upon by others.

That this man says this, should be considered carefully. He's qualified.

Yes. Let's take the word of this ONE man simply because he is enlisted as a scientist, simply because he has a major in a field and appears to be qualified. The next step up, let's believe every single thing Stephen Hawking says.

Because the OP is saying that life is fulfilled through giving of ourselves, rather than being greedy. This is a realization that stood out profoundly to them through the nature of what their experience revealed. I completely relate to this, and it is true on a deep spiritual level. And it does not matter whether or not the person takes objects of their experiences as literal beings, persons, angels, spirits, or not. If what is imparted is a deep universal truth, who cares whether or not God is a scientifically verifiable being? That's utterly beneath the point! :)

I find quite the opposite, which is why I disagree. I find greed to be a useful motivational tool and giving to be parasitic unless something equal comes in return, which would simply be neutralism. While greed on the other hand, when fair (as in actually defining proper ownership and following those terms), is true Commensalism.

I'm not saying that I'm right and you both are wrong. Basically, all I'm saying is, watch out for glitches in what you find truth.

But what if these visions are in fact simply a face of a deeper and higher reality? I'm calling them visions to separate them out from brain-farts - they're not hallucinations in this sense at all - they're more mental object that represent higher truths from the subconscious mind, not just a bunch of bizarre stuff without meaning. They archetypal in form. Whopping big difference than seeing wild colors flashing and stuff. They are in fact reflecting a deep, cosmic, universal reality that we are all part of. So what if it's a difference face on them?

I addressed this in my previous post. Some do, some don't. Whether they have metaphysical meaning or not, visions or brain-farts do not hold literal reflections of reality. I may see a brain-fart of a spider crawling up my wall, or ginnie pigs scattered all over my room and squeaking annoyingly for minutes (both of which I had experienced) and at the time I could not distinguish them from reality. I may see a brain fart of a friend in my basement asking me for a cigarette and I hand him one, and the next day remember that my friend never came over and wonder where that cigarette went to, which I also had experienced.

Then, I may have a vision of leaving my body, tasting the words coming out of my mouth, and feeling emotion as if it were physical and feeling physical as if it were emotional, and as I move further and further from my body, I'd feel more and more comfortable as if I were getting closer to some kind of divinity, as if it were just around the corner and I'd feel complete perfect emotion in another couple of steps, only to find out that this perfect emotion was not around the corner but may be nearby, but never was. Which I also had experienced multiple times.

All of them: The brain farts and the visions... they all never really happened. They were a mentally generated experience that was filled with meanings my unconscious mind recently uncovered and put them consciously into play. However, the only difference between brain farts and visions would be that visions seem more appropriately meaningful and not random than brain farts.

I very much am a mystic. And I certainly do not miss the reality that each person is individual and what is exposed for them, is for them, from them. That's why I say it is entirely valid for it to take many and varied forms. And it should. And it does. But, there are universal truths that are in fact shared through mystical experience. That all is One, that all is connected, that our perceptual realities are relative, and not absolute, and so forth. As it says in my signature, at the peak we all gaze at the single bright moon. There is the Absolute, and the relative. The universals is that we are all experiencing these things in their many and varied forms, towards the realization of the Infinite Ground, or Source which every single one of us arise from.

Many mystics I've talked to as well, including myself, will agree with what you said, that all is One. However this doesn't mean it's a universal truth, as reality is truly defining only under perspective, most of reality is subjective, and thus most of reality is personal. There are plenty of dualist mystics out there as well. There are also mystical reality-objectivists out there.

My point is, there is no common grounds that ALL mystics agree on.

BTROD

Cosmic Clown
I've experienced hallucinations and had an NDE, both are totally different. The hallucination was like being lost in a thick fog, whilst the NDE was an expansive and uplifting experience.

A book I'd like to recommend is PMH Atwater's - The BIG BOOK of NDE's. She is a thorough researcher.