• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sotomayor - new supreme court justice

idea

Question Everything
What do you think of her?

http://www.abajournal.com/news/2005_sotoma...ative_eyebrows/
legislating from the bench…
Sotomayor said, "All of the legal defense funds out there, they're looking for people with court of appeals experience" because "the court of appeals is where policy is made." Sotomayor then tried to backtrack, saying, “I know this is on tape and I should never say that, because we don't make law, I know. Um, okay. I know. I'm not promoting it, I'm not advocating it."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfC99LrrM2Q...player_embedded

http://www.nypolitics.com/2009/05/04/manha...replace-souter/
she voted against hearing an appeal in a reverse discrimination lawsuit brought by white firefighters (racist against whtes?)

http://judgepedia.org/index.php/Sonia_Sotomayor
Sotomayor, is divorced, has no children (where does this put her with suporting fams?)

general agreement that Sotomayor would be a "reliably liberal" vote

Chairman Leahy also stated “I believe that Judge Sotomayor will be in the mold of Justice Souter, who understands the real-world impact of the Court’s decisions, rather than the mold of the conservative activists who second-guess Congress, and who through judicial extremism undercut laws meant to protect Americans from discrimination in their jobs, their access to health care and education, and their privacy from an overreaching government. I believe Judge Sotomayor understands that the courthouse doors must be as open to ordinary Americans as they are to government and big corporations”

According to Tushnet, she has offered a reinterpretation of copyright law, ruled in favor of public access to private information, and in her most famous decision, sided with labor in the Major League Baseball strike of 1995 breaking the deadlock in the strike that wiped out the remainder of the 1994 baseball season

Reversals - why so many? does she really understand the law?
The Supreme Court has reversed Judge Sotomayor in four instances where it granted certiorari to review an opinion she authored. In three of these reversals, the Court held that Judge Sotomayor erred in her statutory interpretation.

In Knight v. C.I.R., (128 S.Ct. 782, 2008.), the Court found that, based on an erroneous interpretation of the tax code, Judge Sotomayor applied an incorrect standard.
In Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith, Inc. v. Dabit, (547 U.S. 71, 2006), the Court found that Judge Sotomayor failed to apply precedent correctly in interpreting a scope of preemption provision of the Securities Litigation Uniform Standards Act.
In New York Times, Inc. v. Tasini, (533 U.S. 483, 2001), the Supreme Court affirmed the Second Circuit’s reversal of Judge Sotomayor’s district court ruling that the Copyright Act permitted electronic publishers to reproduce all articles in a periodical under a “collective works” privilege, concluding that Sotomayor erred in her interpretation of “revision of [that] collective works” privilege in the Act.
In Correctional Servs. Corp. v. Malesko, (534 U.S. 61, 2001), the Court reversed Sotomayor for allowing an inmate to sue a halfway house operator for negligence based on a Bivens claim. After the trial court dismissed the case, Judge Sotomayor reversed and reinstated the litigation. The Supreme Court reversed Judge Sotomayor’s decision, holding that the former inmate did not lack effective remedies and that he had full access to remedial mechanisms established by the Bureau of Prisons. The Court also held that the former inmate’s suit would not have advanced Bivens’ core purpose of deterring individual officers from engaging in unconstitutional wrongdoing.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I haven't made up my mind about her yet.

Based on your linked articles, however, it certainly appears that you have. Now, why would that be?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I would be interested about what "those in the know" think about this pick. I don't know much about this sort of thing, but it seemed like this would be something that Obama could really shine on, if he played his cards right.