• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sometimes I wonder

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
In this journal entry...

I wonder if my life wouldn't be hypothetically better if I used my experiences to justify hatred over other people. I mean, really. Take the death penalty. Do I really need to hate someone who raped a child so much to want her to die for it--am I justified to feel this way (even put it in my moral catalogue) because of someone else's actions?

I wonder who the regular everyday people are that can say they care about others insofar their criteria of care depends on what others do not who they are as a person....

I mean, I remember awhile back listening to a Dharma talk by a Buddhist nun. She said that when we give and the other person doesn't appreciate our gift, that doesn't mean our giving is nullified. When we give, it is a reflection of OUR character. We can't control what other people do and say.

We can't control what others post on this thread-even if it's negativity against the person, we can ignore it but what is that really saying about the person ignoring? Does his or her OWN generosity need to be influenced by the opinions and intentions of what they believe others have?

All these are rhetorical questions.

A lot of people have family, spouses, go to church, and so forth but where is their heart but walk out their door with something else on their mind. I rarely meet enlightened people. Those that do don't seem to let other people's behaviors steal their sunshine. I guess you know an enlightened person when they still show their good character despite the opposition. (Kill them with kindness)

Last edited:

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Negative emotions arise naturally. But what they may lead to can be of value; they do not have to be passed around between people like the proverbial hot coals.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Negative emotions arise naturally. But what they may lead to can be of value; they do not have to be passed around between people like the proverbial hot coals.

I think the idea is once we catch our negative emotions, we learn from it and learn how to change it.

Though, I don't believe a lot of people want to change even though it's affecting others. They may recognize it but find justification and say "that's the other person's problem" and continue on with their influence.

They say when people get older they get stuck in their ways. I guess people really need a reason to change-but seeing how it affects others doesn't really trigger the change. I wonder what does?

Neuropteron

Take the death penalty. Do I really need to hate someone who raped a child so much to want her to die for it--am I justified to feel this way (even put it in my moral catalogue) because of someone else's actions?

Hi,
It's easy to be forgiving and feel compassion for those that commit horrendous acts against people we don't know.

Would we feel the same if we had been raped as a child and our life was changed and filled with nightmares because of this one despicable act.

Would we feel the same if this was perpetrated to our child in front of us?

God clearly indicates what should happen to individuals that commit despicable acts.
Should we hate what is evil, Yes!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hi,
It's easy to be forgiving and feel compassion for those that commit horrendous acts against people we don't know.

Would we feel the same if we had been raped as a child and our life was changed and filled with nightmares because of this one despicable act.

Would we feel the same if this was perpetrated to our child in front of us?

God clearly indicates what should happen to individuals that commit despicable acts.
Should we hate what is evil, Yes!

I'd be too shook up about my own or hypothetical child's needs to worry about the rapist. Maybe my first impulse would be for her or him to die but at the end I'm not the law and can't see myself acting in that decision-morally.

I can see why people do at the heat of the moment. Very different than premeditated (I used DP as an example)

Edit... and it being part of your values.

Last edited: