• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Something interesting from the Athiest forum...

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Giest said:
I tend to think of science as the new religion, I expect to see an upsurge in philosophical developments aswell.
Now, I have to admit that I tend to agree with this observation. Some people treat science just like religion.

1) Although they don't fully understand it, they put their entire faith behind it.
2) Although there are apparent holes in most theories, they gloss right over them.
3) They defend it's sanctity with an obvious religious fervor.
4) They evangelise with abandon... which is something the "other" religions can't do here.
5) They denigrate those who don't fully buy into as un-enlightened.

Of course like any religion, the adherants display a wide range of devotion. Some will smile nonchalantly as they read this and see the truth. Some will get their dander up and wax loud and long about how stupid I am for suggesting this (which I didn't... I only expounded on an Athiest's suggestion). But that's OK, it's time we leveled the playing field when considering our beliefs! :D

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
NetDoc said:
1) Although they don't fully understand it, they put their entire faith behind it.
2) Although there are apparent holes in most theories, they gloss right over them.
4) They evangelise with abandon... which is something the "other" religions can't do here.
I had a nive responce to this and my computer went all belly up...so I'll do it again but it'll probably won't be as good.
1) I think people put there faith in the scientific method becuase it is ment to prove itself wrong if there is an error. The whole point being to find answers and then make sure they are correct over and over again. Do they understand everything science is doing...no but the basic principal for the method, I hope so.
2) The scientists don't over look the holes and that's the important part. Using the scientific method either fills these holes or proves it wrong.
3) Can't argue here. When debating it usually gets to the point, for people on both sides of an argument, where it's like 'why can't they just understand, it's so obvious' be it the word of Jesus or Darwin.
4) I can't say what others do but I know personally that I try to get across what the scientific method is and how these 'Theories' actually work. I dont' try to push believing it but as stated in 3...it gets to that 'obvious' point.
5) I can't/won't argue for what others think, only myself and I don't do this. In fact I consider myself highly unlightened about a lot of things.

Scuba Pete

So OF...

Would you describe the "scientists" as the defacto Priests for this religion?

Maybe those who have earned the Nobel Prize are the Bishops???

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
NetDoc said:
So OF...

Would you describe the "scientists" as the defacto Priests for this religion?

Maybe those who have earned the Nobel Prize are the Bishops???
Yes and no... People believe what they say, without fully understanding how they came to that conlusion but knowing that other scientist are going to either prove them right or wrong.

Unlike the priests of Religion who aren't supposed to be questioned and where no one in there own sect is trying to disprove them at all.

I think the main difference comes in the fact since tries to look for answers and a lot of religions think they have those answers in there texts so end up looking for the right questions.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
NetDoc said:
Deut. 32.8 said:
NetDoc said:
Some people treat science just like religion.
While others treat it with the respect it deserves.
Yes Deut, I do. :D
That much was never in doubt. I remain unclear, however, as to why you found the initial observation to be "something interesting" - unless, of course, you're suggesting it to be symptomatic. 'Some people' treat science in any number of ways. 'Some theists' treat religion as an excuse to bash gays, bomb abortion clinics, brutalize rape victims, drive car bombs into pedestrian walkways and pilot airplanes into buildings. Therefore ... ?

Scuba Pete

Well for starters,

I had never really thought about "Science is the new religion" concept much, and had never seen a professed athiest make that declaration before. It was most definitely an "AHA!" moment for me.

Many (more than some, but I will not go as far as most or all) athiests decry religion for it's dogmatic approach to life. Yet, here is an athiest that embraces science as yet another dogma. In lieu of this, we can understand then why some Creationists are demanding "equal time" for their religious views.

As for the "some theists..." statement, well Russia and China are both replete with athiests who have done the same thing, but in the name of atheism. Go figure.

ayani

NetDoc said:
Now, I have to admit that I tend to agree with this observation. Some people treat science just like religion.

Doc-

this is something i've noticed in a number of non-theist forums. "science" (such a broad concept to begin with) is upheld as truth (truth regarding what is rarely clear) and suggested as an answer-all to man's spiritual questions. in my opinion, "science" is as much a human construct as systems of religious faith. and i don't find it terribly inspiring, either.